Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

Winterizing with compressed air

I have a 2019 Jayco Alante with the Nautilus P3 Uni-Dock Utility Center. I am planning on winterizing with compressed air, and not the RV anti freeze. I am thinking that the valve settings should be set to city water to blow air to all the fixtures, as opposed to setting the valves to the winterizing position? The reason for that is I wonít be using the water pump, so do I want to blow air through the water pump???

Am I right or wrong to do it this way? This is the first time Iím using the air method to winterize, and I want to make sure Iím doing this right.

Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #2

You are in Canada and I can only assume it gets well below freezing in BC. If that is the case you will want to be 100% sure there is no water left in the pump after winterizing or you will have a cracked housing come Spring.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

Barrick - I have the same system and plan to blow air through both city water and winterize settings. Then I plan on pumping antifreeze through winterize setting, open all low point drains open all faucets, make sure NOTHING is in Truma water heater, triple check toilets for water, dump antifreeze in the drains - that should do it! good luck.

I got a question for you do you bypass water filter canister with valves or with the cap to keep antifreeze out of water filter canister?
beachvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachvic View Post
Barrick - I have the same system and plan to blow air through both city water and winterize settings. Then I plan on pumping antifreeze through winterize setting, open all low point drains open all faucets, make sure NOTHING is in Truma water heater, triple check toilets for water, dump antifreeze in the drains - that should do it! good luck.

I got a question for you do you bypass water filter canister with valves or with the cap to keep antifreeze out of water filter canister?
I take the filter out, and screw the empty canister back on. I donít think there is a way to bypass it.

If you plan on using the antifreeze, then why blow out the lines?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

In general, sounds good. Make sure to cycle all your valves, including any bypass valves at the water heater (if you have a tank), and at the water pump. cycle the water pump and run it dry to get any residual water that is sitting/deadheaded in that line too. Also remove the filter screen on the inlet of the water pump, it is a good time to clean it too.

Lots of air will be your friend. After I think I have all the water blown out, I let the pipes sit for a bit and then try blowing them out again. I usually get another slug of water out of the pipes at my kitchen faucet. If you have an internal water filter, make sure to remove it, and install the stub pipe.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrick View Post
I take the filter out, and screw the empty canister back on. I don’t think there is a way to bypass it.

If you plan on using the antifreeze, then why blow out the lines?
I blow them out first, to ensure I have full protection of the antifreeze. If any water is mixed with it, you reduce your maximum protection. If you live somewhere warm it is not an issue. Some place like northern MN, where I store my TT, it commonly gets down to -30 to -40 degrees most winters. We need full protection.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

I made a bypass hose for the filter canister these fitting from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...20A5/206133158 and a 1 foot section of clear plastic hose 2 clamps. I unscrewed the connections to the filter canister and screwed this in its place. Works great and uses less antifreeze.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #7

Barrick - The reason I plan on blowing out lines and antifreeze is I have had to replace the toilet foot valve twice just using antifreeze in my old motorhome, now I have two toilets to worry about!
As far as bypassing canister, I decided to take a look at the filter yesterday and I was shocked to find what was inside my water filter canister?!?!? NOTHING but water!!! We purchased this motorhome in August and have been out using it three times now with no filter. Thanks RV dealer for not putting in a clean filter and not telling me either! I dumped the water out of the canister and plan on using the "cap" they gave me when I go to winterize to minimize the amount of antifreeze needed.
beachvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #8

Beachvic,

I bought my RV at the end of July, received my bag of books as well as a filter inside. I called when I got home to ask if there was an existing filter in there, and was told no. The location is under the sink and someone "intelligently" put a panel in front of it that almost hides it completely. During the walk thru, the gent recommended that I cut some of that away to "better" access the filter (not sure if I can even get to it without doing so). Rather than going through all of that B/S right now, I purchased an external filter that I use outside prior to the city water inlet. Just my choice, as the boss has us take bottled water along.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachvic View Post
Barrick - The reason I plan on blowing out lines and antifreeze is I have had to replace the toilet foot valve twice just using antifreeze in my old motorhome, now I have two toilets to worry about!
As far as bypassing canister, I decided to take a look at the filter yesterday and I was shocked to find what was inside my water filter canister?!?!? NOTHING but water!!! We purchased this motorhome in August and have been out using it three times now with no filter. Thanks RV dealer for not putting in a clean filter and not telling me either! I dumped the water out of the canister and plan on using the "cap" they gave me when I go to winterize to minimize the amount of antifreeze needed.
Iím curious about the cap they gave you, to put in place instead of the canister. Iíd love to get one.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #10

I too would like to get a cap to replace the canister. I have a bypass hose that I made up but a screw on cap would be much easier to use. More info please.

2 dogs
1 wife
US Army Vet. 66-68
Private pilot
rahawk is offline   Reply With Quote