Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

Wobbly drivers captains chair

We have a loose captain's chair (drivers) on our 2018 Alante 31v. It's not caused by a loose center bolt (I've checked this several times) we have less than 10k miles.

Any other solutions? THANKS!
PatandKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums.

Hopefully someone will have had that same issue and can provide more details of what to do. My only thought is not all that helpful I suppose, but if it is not the center bolt then it is something else (other bolts such as the seats bottom frame bolts). What I would do is have my better half rock the chair back and forth while I looked with a strong flashlight every connection point on the chair's frame and base, and if that didn't allow me to locate the issue then I would turn my camera on video mode and take a video of everything under the chair with the chair being rocked back and forth and then carefully review the video.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but again, Welcome to JOF ~CA
Old 02-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #3

Thanks for you reply...

The bolt is tight, the chair still wobbles under the swivel plate.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatandKathy View Post
The bolt is tight, the chair still wobbles under the swivel plate.
I see what you are saying now, the chair wobbles at the swivel base and the center bolt for the swivel is tight. Do both chairs swivel? If so (as I suspect) then I would compare the two and see if perhaps there is damaged or missing nylon shim (washer) bushing, or spacer for the swivel that the bolt goes through.

If the RV repair shops were not so backlogged I would take it to them for warranty service. You may want to call them in any case and ask for their opinion, it wouldn't surprise me if they have seen this before and may already know you need a shim or something similar under the center bolt, hopefully it will be that easy for you. ~CA
Old 02-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #5

This happened to mine also, there was a TSB letter about it with a recall some time back. I didn't take mine in but fixed it myself, only took 15 minutes. It was for a bad (read cheap) cotter pin in the center bolt that could break and allow the nut to back off making the seat loose, or in some cases fall off the pedestal.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #6

Cotter pin is good, I've taken it out three or four times
Old 02-20-2022, 05:39 PM   #7

I had an older Fleetwood Southwind years ago that wobbled. It turned out to be a broken weld on the base. I couldn't see it until I removed the seat. I had the base rewelded. It may be worth checking out.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #8

Thanks for responding, I'm pretty sure we will have to replace the 7 inch swivel base. Calling Jayco tomorrow (original NORCO part), only have a month before a VA to CA trek. We'll have enough wobble without the seat problem.