Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #1

Your Mileage May Vary...

So I figured I'd start a thread with my musings about our first RV (2015 Precept) and randoms thoughts. Feel free to join along, offer advice, etc.

1. So the rattles seem to like silicon lubricant - much better now.
2. the generator doesn't like sudden deceleration - the generator shut off several times when traffic made us stop suddenly.
3. the AC vents seem to shut with any bumps. It always bumps.
4. someone drunk wired this thing. trying to figure out the AV setups is like figuring out the schematics for the space shuttle.
5. why can't I turn on the back up cam while driving - even if only intermittent. would seem to make since for safety.
6. the clarion doesn't like bump. It shut off and reset every 15 seconds or so with bumps. Yes, I do realize this is an installation issue that will hopefully be resolved on the 30 day follow-up. But Sheesh.
7. Why wouldn't they make a satellite antenna standard with a satellite radio? Really?
8. The side view cameras must just be for a selling point because they are worthless. I've already made the lane change before the camera engages and the low tech convex mirrors work just fine.
9. Be sure the gray and black water tank valves are shut before removing the cap when you try to connect the sewer for the first time. Really! Rookie mistake I suppose.

Overall, we love this thing so far but like everything there is always a learning curve. Your mileage may vary...

AugerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
9. Be sure the gray and black water tank valves are shut before removing the cap when you try to connect the sewer for the first time. Really! Rookie mistake I suppose.
Ewwwww

Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #3

Quote:
snip...
9. Be sure the gray and black water tank valves are shut before removing the cap when you try to connect the sewer for the first time. Really! Rookie mistake I suppose....snip.
Take a glance from time to time to be sure your valves stay shut. Some have reported on their trailer the valves OPENED when traveling.

Ewwwww
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #4

To pounce on #9 again. It's a mistake we only make once!

#4. You'd have a better chance with the Space Shuttle. They are properly documented!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

10. I apparently don't proofread or use spellcheck while posting after a few glasses of wine...
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
10. I apparently don't proofread or use spellcheck while posting after a few glasses of wine...
Wuts wine got todowithit? spell Czech just gest in theway.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
I definitely understand that one well. I swear I closed the valves when I put the cap on before leaving the dealer. On our first trip out with it, I went to hook up the sewer hose, opened the cap and <whoosh> followed by a rapid scramble to close the valves.

Fortunately, I was standing to the side, it was just water and possibly very, very diluted pee, but nothing nastier at that point. The valves weren't open when I went to set up on our second trip, so it doesn't look like they crept out during the trip.

I blame my kids because it *couldn't* have been me.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

In regards to satellite radio (#7) - are you certain it is equipped with it already, or is it only satellite-ready?

My '14 Seneca came with the Clarion NX501 and it was only Sirius-ready, not Sirius-equipped as one might think from the tiny icon on the radio. I had to purchase and install the Sirius module that enabled reception, and also install the antenna and route the cable to the new module. I used a mirror-mount "trucker" antenna and ran the cable in the mirror tube, into the door, then into the cab to where the Sirius module is located. Looks good now, but it was a lot of work.

And by the way, the Sirius module that enables satellite radio in my particular radio is actually discontinued (by Sirius), but I found one on EBay. It did plug right into my Clarion and is controlled from the radio menu which was what I wanted.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

Thanks! I figured that was likely the case. Maybe I expect too much. lol. It seems these days that every vehicle is already equipped with the antenna. Or at least the ones I've bought in the past five years. I just thought a $100k plus MSRP rig would have that as standard equipment.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

My last rig was a E-450 Ford-based Class C and I installed aftermarket docking Sirius radio in it, but the antenna was the weak point. Some suggested just mounting it high inside against the ceiling (inside) and it should work. Well, it did about 50% of the time. Lots and lots of dropouts. I was about to take the plunge and mount a roof antenna, but ended up getting my new Seneca instead and invested time/$$ in that radio.

There are other ways to get SiriusXM other than the discontinued (if you have the same radio as me) Sirius SCC1 tuner module. You can get a standalone docking radio and tie it into an auxiliary input of your radio. But then you have to manipulate a separate unit to change channels, etc. With the SCC1, my Clarion remote even works to change the radio when setup in the campground. Otherwise I would have to climb into the cab to change stations.

Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote