Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Your Mileage May Vary...

So I figured I'd start a thread with my musings about our first RV (2015 Precept) and randoms thoughts. Feel free to join along, offer advice, etc.

1. So the rattles seem to like silicon lubricant - much better now.
2. the generator doesn't like sudden deceleration - the generator shut off several times when traffic made us stop suddenly.
3. the AC vents seem to shut with any bumps. It always bumps.
4. someone drunk wired this thing. trying to figure out the AV setups is like figuring out the schematics for the space shuttle.
5. why can't I turn on the back up cam while driving - even if only intermittent. would seem to make since for safety.
6. the clarion doesn't like bump. It shut off and reset every 15 seconds or so with bumps. Yes, I do realize this is an installation issue that will hopefully be resolved on the 30 day follow-up. But Sheesh.
7. Why wouldn't they make a satellite antenna standard with a satellite radio? Really?
8. The side view cameras must just be for a selling point because they are worthless. I've already made the lane change before the camera engages and the low tech convex mirrors work just fine.
9. Be sure the gray and black water tank valves are shut before removing the cap when you try to connect the sewer for the first time. Really! Rookie mistake I suppose.

Overall, we love this thing so far but like everything there is always a learning curve. Your mileage may vary...
AugerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
9. Be sure the gray and black water tank valves are shut before removing the cap when you try to connect the sewer for the first time. Really! Rookie mistake I suppose.
Ewwwww
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
snip...
9. Be sure the gray and black water tank valves are shut before removing the cap when you try to connect the sewer for the first time. Really! Rookie mistake I suppose....snip.
Take a glance from time to time to be sure your valves stay shut. Some have reported on their trailer the valves OPENED when traveling.

Ewwwww
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

To pounce on #9 again. It's a mistake we only make once!

#4. You'd have a better chance with the Space Shuttle. They are properly documented!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

10. I apparently don't proofread or use spellcheck while posting after a few glasses of wine...
Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
10. I apparently don't proofread or use spellcheck while posting after a few glasses of wine...
Wuts wine got todowithit? spell Czech just gest in theway.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
I definitely understand that one well. I swear I closed the valves when I put the cap on before leaving the dealer. On our first trip out with it, I went to hook up the sewer hose, opened the cap and <whoosh> followed by a rapid scramble to close the valves.

Fortunately, I was standing to the side, it was just water and possibly very, very diluted pee, but nothing nastier at that point. The valves weren't open when I went to set up on our second trip, so it doesn't look like they crept out during the trip.

I blame my kids because it *couldn't* have been me.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

In regards to satellite radio (#7) - are you certain it is equipped with it already, or is it only satellite-ready?

My '14 Seneca came with the Clarion NX501 and it was only Sirius-ready, not Sirius-equipped as one might think from the tiny icon on the radio. I had to purchase and install the Sirius module that enabled reception, and also install the antenna and route the cable to the new module. I used a mirror-mount "trucker" antenna and ran the cable in the mirror tube, into the door, then into the cab to where the Sirius module is located. Looks good now, but it was a lot of work.

And by the way, the Sirius module that enables satellite radio in my particular radio is actually discontinued (by Sirius), but I found one on EBay. It did plug right into my Clarion and is controlled from the radio menu which was what I wanted.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #9

Thanks! I figured that was likely the case. Maybe I expect too much. lol. It seems these days that every vehicle is already equipped with the antenna. Or at least the ones I've bought in the past five years. I just thought a $100k plus MSRP rig would have that as standard equipment.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #10

My last rig was a E-450 Ford-based Class C and I installed aftermarket docking Sirius radio in it, but the antenna was the weak point. Some suggested just mounting it high inside against the ceiling (inside) and it should work. Well, it did about 50% of the time. Lots and lots of dropouts. I was about to take the plunge and mount a roof antenna, but ended up getting my new Seneca instead and invested time/$$ in that radio.

There are other ways to get SiriusXM other than the discontinued (if you have the same radio as me) Sirius SCC1 tuner module. You can get a standalone docking radio and tie it into an auxiliary input of your radio. But then you have to manipulate a separate unit to change channels, etc. With the SCC1, my Clarion remote even works to change the radio when setup in the campground. Otherwise I would have to climb into the cab to change stations.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #11

11. I tested the brakes in Baton Rouge. I mean really tested due to some idiot. They actually worked better than I thought since I thought I was going to plow into said idiot. Generator shut off again at this point.
12. That brings me back to point #2. I added oil to the gen per another thread here and it still had issues. But I did notice that occasional quick(er) stops caused everything electric to stop and beep despite the generator not actually shutting off. Happened more than once. Safety feature?
13. Lesson: the lady at camping world sold me a water pressure regulator. First night in this beast I forgot to attach it but figured "Oh Well" and left it off. It was a KOA after all, so surely OK pressures. Switched the water valves and all was well. Night two at a state park and figured I'd better actually use it. Came back from dinner and noticed the water pump was constantly running for past couple of hours. Messed with it and finally removed the regulator figuring that was the only thing I'd changed and voila, no more pump. Feel free to offer advice here. My pump is probably hurting.
13. The awning LED's look lopsided. Some bright, some dimmer. I surmise that it's the angle that the actual strip is mounted. Will investigate further in that AM with less beers in the system.
14. I think I need some steering stabilizer. I thought I was going to die (and my family with) on some narrow bridges in the rain with semi's passing me. Otherwise in dry non-bridge conditions I was cruising at 75 passing people. Almost seems to have a governor past 75-78ish. Probably should read the manual.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

You must really be in a hurry to go 75-78ish. Relax and enjoy the trip.
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #13

Haha! That is a relaxed pace for me!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
snip...
14. I think I need some steering stabilizer. I thought I was going to die (and my family with) on some narrow bridges in the rain with semi's passing me....snip
Before adding anything, try having your tires inflated to the maximum on the sidewall. Sometimes just THAT makes the handling much better. If you still have handling issues, have the alignment checked by a GOOD shop that KNOWS RVs. Many times they can tweak the settings for better handling.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #15

Thank you for the advice oldmanAZ! I will start there!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #16

[QUOTE=AugerN;315405]So I figured I'd start a thread with my musings about our first RV (2015 Precept) and randoms thoughts. Feel free to join along, offer advice, etc.

My advice sir " slow down a bit we don't want you to find out the hard way". This is not your car your driving down the highway.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #17

15. This thing leaks! Came back from a day at the beach to notice a little water in front of the fridge. Upon further inspection, there was a lot of water there that had soaked into the carpet along the baseboards there. Checked the slide to see if it was due to the AC's leaking into it and it wasn't there. Went outside and noticed a trickle from the fridge access panel. Notice what appears to be the ice maker line with a moderate leak. See attached pic (it's rotated 90 degrees but has a leak coming from the copper attachment). Fortunately most was draining down the outside of the slide and onto the ground. But apparently a fair amount has tracked along the floor under the fridge/couch. Now I'm a little worried that this has been going on for a few days and we just didn't catch it. So is this something the dealer did during the winterization or came from the factory like this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5382.JPG  
Old 07-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #18

Totally agree about the side mirror cameras. They're a great demo point at the RV shows. But in real driving .... The mirrors are used, not the cameras!
Greyhawk Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #19

16. The sun visors need to be about 10 times the size. Driving westward home in the afternoon proved to be a challenge. We love the panoramic views out the front window however the sun visor does little to protect your vision. Maybe if they extended down about another 18" then the view wouldn't be obstructed and the sun would be blocked. Makes me think maybe having instead bought a C class would have solved this problem...
Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #20

AugerN. Yep, side mirrors almost totally useless. Poor placement and no way to adjust other than moving the mirror......then the mirror doesn't give you the most view of the blind spots.
Sun visors...........a joke. We bought material that we clip to the sunvisors. Also did the side windows....attached with 3M removable hooks. All the curtains hang about 16". Line of sight is fine and safe (I can see stop lights when stopped at them) and yet they block the glare and reflections of bright sun light. We can easily remove the curtains once stopped to enjoy the view.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote