Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #1

1-Lb Propane Bottle Storage

Price of 1lb Propane Bottles have made a drastic leap in price and not to mention, they are getting pretty darn hard to find. So i recently got the adapter to refill from from a larger tank. Following the Flame King process i can get the bottles filled to one pound but i bleed them down to .95Lb. I know this by weighing with a kitchen scale. Only problem refilling used bottles, over time they can end up leaking and there is no way i wanted to carry them in an air tight storage compartment. So i came up with an idea to store them in one of my Propane Storage bays.. Works out very well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2070.jpg   IMG_2074.jpg   IMG_2075.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #2

Nice idea!
Old 02-11-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Great idea! They are pricey and I quit using them years ago. I tried the refilling adapter but many of them leaked slowly so I now carry a small 10 lb bottle instead.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Great idea! They are pricey and I quit using them years ago. I tried the refilling adapter but many of them leaked slowly so I now carry a small 10 lb bottle instead.
i thought about the 10 lb bottle but those are pricey. i only use the bottles for my heater buddy and the larger tank would be pain since me move the Buddy around quite a bit. As soon as the 1lb refillable Flame King bottles become available, i'm gonna latch on a few.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
Site Team

I remember seeing piles of them by a dumpster in a regular campground we frequent. How do you dispose of them legally?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
I remember seeing piles of them by a dumpster in a regular campground we frequent. How do you dispose of them legally?
I used to throw them in the trash can. The last couple years, i would purge them before doing so. I'll be on the look out for disposed cans as i wouldn't want to refill them over a half dozen times at the most Flame king makes a 1-lb. refillable can with a release valve. Last year i could have napped a few at $12, right now you can't find them. Refilling does make me a bit nervous and why i'm storing them in a vented area. I check for leaks after each refill and use the brass screw on caps to help minimize leaks.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
That has been my dilemma for several months now...have four of them and trying to find a legal way to dispose of the bottles is challenging...best I could find is there is supposed to be a tool that you use to show that it has been discharged completely and safely "caps" caps it...and/or find a propane service center that
will dispose of them for you...??
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
That has been my dilemma for several months now...have four of them and trying to find a legal way to dispose of the bottles is challenging...best I could find is there is supposed to be a tool that you use to show that it has been discharged completely and safely "caps" caps it...and/or find a propane service center that
will dispose of them for you...??
A Ranger at Ricardos Campground showed me how to purge them. With bottle upside down stick a Philips screwdriver, i use a 3/16 Allen T-Handle in the center of the bottle cap and press until pressure is relieved. He told me they are safe to throw in the trash if purged.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #9

I too refill my 1lb tanks, maximum 3 times. I put a piece of masking tape on the bottle and mark down the date it was refilled. After three refills, I dispose of them properly. I can usually find empty 1lb tanks at recycling centers at campgrounds.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:16 PM   #10

Another option

Add propane quick connectors and hoses to your rv for needed appliances. Portable generator, grill, and fire pit can all be plug and play quicker than you can thread a 1# cylinder. Larger quantities of cheaper LP and no empty disposal issues. The cost of the LP in those 1# tanks figures out to be around $21 per gallon.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Always hate seeing that in the campgrounds, especially since where I'm at you can properly dispose of them for free at the local recycling center.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctardi View Post
Always hate seeing that in the campgrounds, especially since where I'm at you can properly dispose of them for free at the local recycling center.
I'd be willing to bet 99.5% of the campers out there aren't going to even consider taking them to a disposal site. My neighbor is a Home Depot manager and awhile back we got into conversation about small battery disposal. He said every home depot has a battery disposal box in their stores, which i've never noticed, and they seldom get a few batteries a month. California has a disposal tax when you buy them, so most just feel they paid their dues.. The landfills in calif cycle all the trash threw a conveyer system and separate recyclable items including batteries etc..... If you purge a propane bottle you can legally dispose of them in a trash can, So i'm told by a Calif BLM Ranger.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #13

where did you find the brass capsize and threads. thanks
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
where did you find the brass capsize and threads. thanks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33375517719...3ABFBMkP2Ni-Nf
Old 02-23-2022, 12:58 PM   #15

Tiny 8 lb propane tank

I was sick of paying for the 1 lb propane bottles and trying in vain to find a way to recycle them. In all of our travels I only found 1 outdoor store in Moab, UT which took them back. Recently my husband found an 8 lb tank on Amazon that looks like our home grill tank had a baby. It cost me $3.73 to fill completely at Costco. It has a connection just like the home grill tanks. We are thrilled and I send my apologies to Coleman, we invested in a lot of those bottles over the years - no more!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2129.jpg  
lesrunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #16

Over the past few years, Flame King refillable 1 lb. propane bottles have been available free here in Davis, CA, through mail offers from our local recycling center. I had considered trying one of those adapters to fill used bottles but held off as I read negative reviews. I trust the Flame King unit.
twotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Price of 1lb Propane Bottles have made a drastic leap in price and not to mention, they are getting pretty darn hard to find. So i recently got the adapter to refill from from a larger tank. Following the Flame King process i can get the bottles filled to one pound but i bleed them down to .95Lb. I know this by weighing with a kitchen scale. Only problem refilling used bottles, over time they can end up leaking and there is no way i wanted to carry them in an air tight storage compartment. So i came up with an idea to store them in one of my Propane Storage bays.. Works out very well.
Nice idea! I use these bottles for refilling. Much safer ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #18

That's a nice setup. I may steal that for a couple of my Flame King refillable tanks if there's room on my propane compartment.
DesertRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotired View Post
Over the past few years, Flame King refillable 1 lb. propane bottles have been available free here in Davis, CA, through mail offers from our local recycling center. I had considered trying one of those adapters to fill used bottles but held off as I read negative reviews. I trust the Flame King unit.
The Flame King Bottles are almost impossible to get right now. Scalpers are selling them on Ebay for 5x's normal price. I have four on back order with Home Depot with an expected ship date in May. The Flame King fill adapter is easily available. I've filled the disposable cans and so far haven't had any problems, Getting them completely full is very easy using the Flame King Fill process,. (Watch their videos)
Old 02-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantdude View Post
Nice idea! I use these bottles for refilling. Much safer ;-)
I have some ordered.. Right now they are almost impossible to get... I agree they would be much much more safe to transport