Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #21

Just cut the male end off, add terminals and wire it to the batteries
Old 04-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #22

Think I am better off with inverter closer to the batteries and just using an extension cord.

So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Just cut the male end off, add terminals and wire it to the batteries

Old 04-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #24

There are a lot of ways to do things and they work just find, but if your going to ask for suggestions here, people should be making recommendations strictly by the book with your safety in mind.

Maybe the tv worked just fine on the lighter wiring, then someone plugs their phone charger into it also, and then a fan because it’s a hot day, then the laptop gets plugged into it. I’m just helping you plan for the worst case possible. With the proper wiring, the inverter will shut down because it’s overloaded before the wiring catches fire.
In the end, you’ll need to decide how cautious you want to be.

I’ll be upgrading to a 2000 watt inverter soon and I’ll install it about a foot from the batteries and run 110 volt lines to wherever they need to go.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #25

It sounds like your 600 watt inverter is not drawing 600 watts. If you are just running the TV it may be easier to get a smaller inverter based on need.

You could test your existing Inverter in the 12 volt outlet in your rig and run an extension cord to your TV.

I added additional 12 vault outlets for dry camping. I would suggest you call Jayco and get a 12 volt wiring diagram for your unit. It will show where you have 12 volt and the color of the wires. They ran 14 gauge wire to the majority of the 12v stuff. I was able to locate lines and tap in using posi-tap connectors. I use my outlets to charge devices and run a fan or two when needed.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthenw View Post
It sounds like your 600 watt inverter is not drawing 600 watts. If you are just running the TV it may be easier to get a smaller inverter based on need.

You could test your existing Inverter in the 12 volt outlet in your rig and run an extension cord to your TV.

I added additional 12 vault outlets for dry camping. I would suggest you call Jayco and get a 12 volt wiring diagram for your unit. It will show where you have 12 volt and the color of the wires. They ran 14 gauge wire to the majority of the 12v stuff. I was able to locate lines and tap in using posi-tap connectors. I use my outlets to charge devices and run a fan or two when needed.
Only the tv and wally sat box will run be running on it at the same time.
I did do a test run yesterday. There is a pre-installed 12v/usb charge station in the bedroom on the front wall (front of the trailer). Used an extension cord to tv. Worked just like it did in my other trailer. So I may just go this way for now.

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #27

It sounds like you could run your existing inverter off a 12v outlet by the TV. (The inverters I have only draw the power that they need) The installation is pretty straight forward. The hard part is getting to the wires and identifying which one to use. I got the schematic and then hunted until I found the wires in the location specified. You could get by without the schematic by observing Where the wires go and testing the wires with a meter. There should be a positive and negative wire (My memory is foggy but I think the negative was a white wire in my unit). I would suggest that you use a meter to verify the voltage and polarity before connecting the posi-lock connectors. I used spade connectors at the 12v outlet end.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
There are 4 screws that hold the radio in place, under the trim which just pops off.

My concern is that the wires to the stereo are most likely too light to handle a 600 watt inverter. Proper installation would be to locate the inverter near the batteries and run 110v line to the TV area.
Second option would be to run “heavier” 12 v wiring from the battery to the TV area and connect the inverter to that.

I’m sure there is electrician here that can do the calculations for the wire size.

The manufacturers run the lightest wire they can to based on the usage of each item in the rv to save money. That inverter probably draws 10 times the wattage of that stereo.
Your 1st idea is better just because the difference in the price of wire. I would also add a breaker between battery and inverter
mikehoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #29

I replaced my TV with a 12v TV. Cost about $140 and tapped into the stereo power. No issues.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #30

Spower. A third option if you are not to wire savvy is to order a power inverter from Amazon or even Harbor Freight. They sell the inverters with 12 volt adaptors built in and they are very reasonably priced. Just plug it into a 110 volt outlet behind the TV and your done. Portable too.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #31

I installed this (see link) auto transfer switch to the non GFI outlet circuit in my trailer. My 2000 watt inverter is mounted next to my batteries. When I turn my inverter on with the remote switch, all the outlets on that circuit automatically switch from shore power line-in to the inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-PROWa...e%2C277&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Techn...omotive&sr=1-2
End of the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #32

Cool 12 v outlet won't fit my inverter

I have a 300 w pure sine wave inverter and have tried to plug it into the 12v outlet in the small cabinet below our TV. Looks like it would fit but DOES NOT! Is there possibly a 12V outlet made specifically for a 12V TV with a unique size hole that won't fit a regular "cigarette lighter" size 12V plug?
MrT61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT61 View Post
I have a 300 w pure sine wave inverter and have tried to plug it into the 12v outlet in the small cabinet below our TV. Looks like it would fit but DOES NOT! Is there possibly a 12V outlet made specifically for a 12V TV with a unique size hole that won't fit a regular "cigarette lighter" size 12V plug?
There are a couple different diameters.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT61 View Post

I don't think that outlet will take the load of a 300 watt inverter. It is usually a long run with small wire.
End of the road is offline   Reply With Quote