Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #1

Question 12V source needed

I'm installing 12V power sockets on the front of the bedside tables in our Eagle 256RKS. There are 12V lights over the bed under the overhead cabinet, and in the ceiling. The only wiring in the front storage bay is for the running lights. It looks like the main wiring bundle runs from a junction box on the front of the frame straight back to the breaker box in the rear kitchen. The underside is foamed and closed, so no easy access. I'm considering cutting a small panel in the floor of the storage bay to access the wiring, then either making it a trap-door or just repairing it. Before I start cutting, are there more experienced owners with words of advice?
NorthShoreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #2

I would try and pull 12 volts from the lights over the bed. The running lights get their power from the truck so without the truck connected there will be no power there unless I am misunderstanding your post.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #3

I did this in our SLX. I pulled power from each light to power an outlet under the bedside cabinet. There should be a hollow area between where the lights are and the overhead storage. You can pull a light to confirm. Then I drilled a small hole to start from inside the cabinet to be sure everything lined up. The only thing is black was positive and white is negative. I used a JR Products part#15115
Attached Thumbnails
3EDE3577-89F1-47C2-9D83-4D51CCCD27AB.jpg   1470DD8B-E51D-4B8C-8B25-0AA29FC50852.jpg   11B722A3-C95E-419F-B6F6-5D340A890722.jpg   B0F836C0-2450-4500-BD42-29002BD8D87E.jpg  
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
I did this in our SLX. I pulled power from each light to power an outlet under the bedside cabinet. There should be a hollow area between where the lights are and the overhead storage. You can pull a light to confirm. Then I drilled a small hole to start from inside the cabinet to be sure everything lined up. The only thing is black was positive and white is negative. I used a JR Products part#15115
Thanks, that solution may work -- I'll have to check it in the daylight. We've got the same set-up for the reading lights with 2 layers of plywood and the wiring between. I'm not sure how to get the power down to the bedside table -- the closet cabinet is suspended and there is not direct way to get the wire down without being exposed.

I did see some other posts about cutting a small hinged flap in the corroplast underneath. I will need to invest in a cheap borescope before I go that route, but it would let me pull what I need up from below without cutting into the floor of the storage bin.
NorthShoreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:43 AM   #5

Could you do a small raceway coming from the back of the wardrobe to the table? Tucked that far back it would not be very noticeable and don’t need a very big hole for 12v wires.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote