Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

'16 32 BHDS Mods

The first 2 weeks of owning our new Jay Flight 32 BHDS, I have been pretty busy trying to get it ready for our S. Higgins Lk St Park (Michigan) trip which was this past Wed- today. While I still have a few things I would like to do, I definitely put a good size dent in the list! Lol

I don't have pic of eveything as some people have done the same, and/ or didn't take a pic yet.

We bought a Oxygenics shower head. So far it is a nice upgrade over the stock shower head. Also came with an on/off so we don't need to buy one now.

4 hook key rack mounted just below the monitor panel door.

Re-keyed the main door, bathroom door, and pass through locks so all the keys match. Keyed them all to the outdoor kitchen. Only other key needed now is for the outdoor shower which has a very short lock cylinder.

LED puck light under the bathroom cabinet for a night light. May add one or two more for night lights as well.

Shelving in the hall and front bedroom wardrobe. It would be nice if there was at least a shelf option to make this easier! Lol We didn't take a panel (wife didn't think we needed to) from the trailer to match the stain. It turned out fairly close. Do need a led strip light in the wardrobe though. Lights added to the list!

Bedroom Wardrobe

Hall Wardrobe

Hooks on back of bedroom slider doors. All 3 slider doors have 2 sets of hooks.

I moved the water pump "wall" under the sink that protects the pump from "stuff" back for a little more room. Also mounted a plastic bag holder underneath the sink. I would like to get rid of the knife block, but my better half doesn't like the "rv knife block", and not sure what else to do...

Fence post sleeve mod. For when the weather doesn't cooperate we have a large tarp to allow us to still enjoy being outside. One post I have 4- 6' pvc "tent poles" to support the tarp along the sides. One post stores the 7' GPL folding ladder. Last post is for the sewer hose. I have 2- 4" u shaped gutters inside for when the hose needs some support. Inside the bumper we carry our hot dog forks on one side, and the fire tongs and poker on the other side. Due to the weight of the ladder and the pvc poles I mounted the fence post sleeve using Uni Strut. Hopefuly it won't be going anywhere it isn't suppose to!

Bumper mounted clothes line.

Still on the mod list:
Main door step light on it's own circuit and a light at the bathroom door steps. Battery switch to prevent all the draw from killing the battery.
Probably a gel topper for the mattress.
Rear cargo receiver hitch if it ever shows up (on order) for the bikes.
May move the outdoor kitchen fridge a little so the door will fully open allowing removal of the shelves if needed.
Still need to find a place to store the Camp Chef cast iron griddles.

Additional pics in the 32 BHDS Mods link in my signature.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Nice looking mods. I'll be borrowing a couple of them.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #3

Bluie5,

TY!

The rear cargo hitch showed up today!!!

I did forget to mention a couple mods:
Have a vent cover for the bathroom vent, just need to get time to mount it.
An extra set of stabilizer jacks just in front of the front tires is on the list as well.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

My rig is quite long too. I've been planning on adding the extra stabilizer jacks.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #5

Nice mods. I'll have to look into rekeying my locks. It's a pain to have three different keys for the doors now. Plus my keys seems to be hard to turn and we found last time that several of the keys opened multiple locks. Weird.

Did you just know how to rekey the locks, or was there a link here you followed?
Thanks,
Mike
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

TY to all!!! Been a little busy since we got back from our trip so I haven't worked on any of the other mods yet....maybe next week I will get a chance.

Mike,

I went to the website that was printed on the sticker on the door, RVlocksandmore.com. I had a local locksmith order 2 sets of cylinders (w/ dead bolt), and 2 matching cam locks all coded to the outdoor kitchen. To replace the cylinder, you need the Yellow "change out" key. That is why I had the locksmith order it. Only him or a dealer can order it to change the cylinders.

I did all the work instead of dragging the trailer to him. Just had to drop off the yellow key back to him once I was finished. Maybe your local dealer has the yellow key. If so, maybe they would let you borrow it to swap out the locks. Or if you buy it "for them", you get to use it, then let them keep it. It's only a few dollars.

I also ordered 2 keys w/ a small led in them to be able to unlock the trailer at night if needed and no lights on or flashlight on hand. Was only a few dollars so I figured why not.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

Thanks for the information.
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #8

Husker, your welcome! Sorry for the very slow reply!!!

3 bikes on our bike rack on the Jayco rear cargo hitch this past w/e was a success! It will be nice to not have the bikes in the truck bed. Made room to take the WSM this w/e so we could have some pulled pork!

Bike rack even cleared the driveway when pulling out. It is a 4 bike (we have the 2 bike add on kit) tray style fork mount rack.

Here is the rack set up for only 2 bikes on our 'Nox when we had it.

It does not come straight out of the hitch, but bends up about 4" or so.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

Where did you get the Jayco rear cargo hitch?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Where did you get the Jayco rear cargo hitch?
It is only available through the dealer unfortunately!

Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #11

Very easy to duplicate, if you weld.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Very easy to duplicate, if you weld.
Only reasons I didn't go the full DIY route is time (though the hitch didn't arrive in time for our big trip like I hoped!), and not sure I would TRUST my welding for something like that! Lol

I will say the hitch is VERY STOUT for only having a 300lb rating. Could be due to the mounting tabs on the frame.

Here is a couple pics before mounting.

As a comparison, here is a couple pics comparing the factory '10 Silverado 1500 hitch I replaced with a more stout Curt square tube hitch.

The factory GM hitch had a "tin can" sound when set down on the driveway or garage floor. The Curt and Jayco hitch, weighing at least 2x as much, were a dull thud when set down. The difference was night and day.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

Only thing I really did was reweld the brackets on the frame. From the factory, they are only stitch welded, which didn't satisfy me. I just prefer a continuous bead on something like that. The hitch itself is pretty well constructed, so I left it alone.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #14

I plan on keeping an eye on the hitch frame mounting tabs. Will do the same if needed!

SO I finally added a switch to the battery!!! Ordered a group 27 battery box, and a Blue Sea Mini Series single on/off switch. Just enough room to mount the switch in the box with a group 24 battery. I just cut a 2x8 to fit next to the battery to keep it from sliding.

I mounted the switch on the back side, facing the front of the trailer. Wanted to have it somewhat hidden so if someone decides to mess with the trailer, or worse, try to borrow it, they don't have any 12v power unless they find the switch! It is hidden pretty good unless you really look for it! Used a 2-1/2" hole saw, and filed the little bit needed to fit the switch (specs show 2-5/8" hole needed).

What you would see IF you could squeeze between the trailer and the battery box! Lol

From the side.

It is sad to post this is the last mod for the year! I dropped the trailer off this evening for inside winter storage. Won't see it again until spring!!!!

I still have a few mods to do in the spring. And it is possible that list will grow before then!!!!

Would like to say Thank You to all who have helped or given me ideas for the mods I have done, or have yet to do!!!! Or should it be, "Thanks a LOT", now I have ANOTHER mod to do.... Lol

Seriously, Thank you to all!!!!!

Old 11-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #15

need-a-vacation, How about some details on how you attached your clothes dryer? I done something similar with broom handles and I bolted plastic flag pole holders to the bumper. After being on 4 different campers, the holders are about shot and I'm looking for new ideas. THX in advance.
Fred K.
Fred Korz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #16

Fred,

It is a kit that actually came on our last trailer (bought used) that I pulled off for our new rig. It just attaches with u-bolts to the rear bumper. I have considered buying new "poles" that are longer for more drying space (add more lines). Just didn't get to that yet. When on our big trip of the year we have at least 6+ families camping (this year was 9 or 10), and it fills quickly. Normal family it would be fine though.

I would take some close up pics, but our trailer is now in storage until spring, sorry. Hopefully the link helps.

YW!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #17

I had decided to add another set of scissor jacks to the middle of the 32, so I ordered a set of 30" BAL scissor jacks to mount at the rear of the trailer, and will move the factory 24" scissor jacks to the middle.

Due to the longer length of the 30" jacks, they would either need to be mounted at an angle, or if mounted "normal" to the trailer frame they would stick out past the trailer side. To solve this issue I mounted 2- 2"x2"X1/8" steel square tube across the frame, using the holes from the factory jacks. Then mounted the 30" jacks inward a few inches so they didn't stick out past the side of the trailer.

I need to pick up a couple more bolts for one of the rear jacks and both middle jacks, and mount the center jacks. I am cnsidering using some of the 2x2 to space the middle jacks down so I don't need as many blocks underneath. If I do it will only be short pieces under each jack. No need to go all the way across the trailer with the 2x2.

I did set the jacks under the middle to see if all this was worth it. It does seem to eliminate a lot of the bounce. I still felt a little movement, but the X-chocks were not installed either.

I went with the 30" for the rear for those campsites that may be sloped a fair amount. Over time I may consider a set of 30" for the fronts as well if I can mount them the same as the rear jacks.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #18

Fred,

I forgot about taking a pic of the clothes rack after getting the 32 out of winter storage.... We have the trailer at the house so I will try to take one tonight!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #19

That turned out really good. You ought to top it off with some 2" end cap inserts for the tubing ends. Not sure where you could get that size. Lowes only had the smaller ones I used on that 1" tubing. Had to notch the part of the insert that goes in the tubing a little to clear the bolt, but still worked.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #20

John,

TY!!! Pretty happy with it. Just need to finish installing a couple bolts on the tears and mount the middle ones as I mentioned.

Funny you posted about the end cap.... I was looking at the tubing yesterday wondering where I could get some caps! Lol worse case maybe some super sticky black duct tape! Lol Time to do some "surfing" for a set!