Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

195RB Baja Queen Bed Storage Support struts

Added a pair of gas struts to the assist with accessing the storage under the bed. Had to replace the hinges at the top of the plywood sheet as the original ones were way too narrow and the screws were already pulling out of the plywood as they were too close to the edge. Now it opens up with a lot less effort and I don't have to worry about it getting dropped on me I'm planning to install a latch at the foot of the bed to prevent it from being lifted up from underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
bed_hinges.jpg   gas_strut.jpg   storage_open.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Added a pair of gas struts to the assist with accessing the storage under the bed. Had to replace the hinges at the top of the plywood sheet as the original ones were way too narrow and the screws were already pulling out of the plywood as they were too close to the edge. Now it opens up with a lot less effort and I don't have to worry about it getting dropped on me I'm planning to install a latch at the foot of the bed to prevent it from being lifted up from underneath.
Good and safe idea.

They included a strut on my 19RD it is a big help.

But I LOVE the idea of latching it down. Consider that idea stolen.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
i don't get too dissappointed with Jayco, but the bed in this 195RB , well to be honest, really sucks. I wonder if anyone there ever tries these trailers out? The plywood they use is so flimsy, theres no possible way you can use it the way it is. I took the mattress of mine on Sunday, after the wifes constant complaining of rolling to the center. It does, as soon as you get on it it dips in the center. So i built a support wall underneath. Not thinking one should have to do that on a new Trailer. Think i am going to pass them on a nice message .... tell them to try it out, see how comfortable it isn't!
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
i don't get too dissappointed with Jayco, but the bed in this 195RB , well to be honest, really sucks. I wonder if anyone there ever tries these trailers out? The plywood they use is so flimsy, theres no possible way you can use it the way it is. I took the mattress of mine on Sunday, after the wifes constant complaining of rolling to the center. It does, as soon as you get on it it dips in the center. So i built a support wall underneath. Not thinking one should have to do that on a new Trailer. Think i am going to pass them on a nice message .... tell them to try it out, see how comfortable it isn't!
Yeah the bed in my 28RLS was doing the same thing, so I did the same thing as you and added a cross support! Jayco Jay Flight 28RLS: Bed Support

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
I complained to my Jayco dealer about the bed sagging. They fixed it by replacing the under bed support (actually, lack of support) structure with 2"x 3" lumber (lumber measures 1.5" x 2.5") without the need of a support wall.

The Denver mattress still sucks, but we no longer spend the night trying not to roll down hill.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #6

On our 195RB, the bed pulled out of the wall. Dealer prompt fixed it but need to do the support as you guys have described. TT in in the dealer again right now for awning issues.
2024 Ford F350 XLT
Empty nesters training to be professional grandparents!
US Army Helicopter Pilot - Retired, Home of Record - SOUTH TEXAS
AtkRWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkRWC View Post
On our 195RB, the bed pulled out of the wall. Dealer prompt fixed it but need to do the support as you guys have described. TT in in the dealer again right now for awning issues.
I had to replace the hinges on the bed as well. The original ones were narrow and used rather small screws, one of which was so close to the edge that the plywood splintered rather than holding the screw. While we haven't noticed a dip towards the middle that may be due to the fact that I moved the outer two support 2x2's closer to the middle to accommodate the gas lift struts.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I had to replace the hinges on the bed as well. The original ones were narrow and used rather small screws, one of which was so close to the edge that the plywood splintered rather than holding the screw. While we haven't noticed a dip towards the middle that may be due to the fact that I moved the outer two support 2x2's closer to the middle to accommodate the gas lift struts.
Ours just flat out pulled out from the wall. Screws just pulled out. The dealer did a good job on the repairs, no issues with that. My wife noticed the middle dipping the first night. I actually felt bad because I told her it was all in her head. Well I was wrong, again! We are going to add struts and beef up the supports when we get the TT back.
2024 Ford F350 XLT
Empty nesters training to be professional grandparents!
US Army Helicopter Pilot - Retired, Home of Record - SOUTH TEXAS
AtkRWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Cool

I'm a new 195 owner and I am aware of the problem of llifting the bed. where did you find the hydraulic gas struts ...what length and possibly brand name.. thanks for the help
I bought this slightly used now in the process fo replacing brake shoes before long summer trip
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

I picked mine up at Camping World and they are 90lb struts. There is a label on mine with a Part Number: SE200P-90. This would appear to be the same thing on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XPMZM...5&ref=aa_scomp
Old 01-07-2019, 05:26 AM   #11

Thanks for the ideas

I just ordered a 2019 195RB. I wanted to add the struts once I take delivery. Your ideas were most helpful. I also plan on replacing the hinges right away.
Jayco 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #12

I would have looked at blocking off the storage area then gotten the struts because if you do the mod it will probably use different struts. This makes the storage area easier to use and supports the bed better. Manny people have done this.
Attached Thumbnails
Under bed view finished.jpg   Under bed view above.jpg  
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

I did block off the storage under the bed later on but in a fashion that allows me to easily lift up and remove the panels if needed. I was mainly interested in keeping items from sliding between the front and back half of the storage area and it did improve the use of the storage area. The 195RB does not have pass-through storage so keeping the items I wanted in the front half in place when traveling helped a lot when it came time to set up or pack up. It does provide support for the middle of the bed as well.