Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #1

195RB Major Remodel - Goodbye Dinette

Well, major for us. I mentioned this briefly on another thread, but now I have pictures and the full story. We bought the 195RB Baja about 2 years ago, and have been very happy with it, and have enjoyed doing various mods, but there were two large items that took a while to determine if/how to proceed. First, we wanted a better bed, including one long enough so my feet don't hang off, i.e., a full queen. Second, we found the dinette ok for meals, but not for lounging, and even for meals the position of the table over the wheel well was less than great and cramped our feet.

We removed the dinette (very easy, just a bunch of screws) and replace it with two swivel/tilting barrel chairs, inflatable ottomans, and nice TV trays. This will hopefully provide much more comfortable lounging and gives us an extremely flexible setup. Then I extended the bed frame (putting in good support, sorry forgot to get pics at that stage) and added a full size queen Casper mattress (recently on sale at Costco). It does add 30 pounds, but we've done the calculations. Our change in the dinette arrangement gives us adequate room for the longer bed. We've also left the foot of the bed frame open to facilitate sliding storage boxes in and out, especially important as we will use this storage more with the under dinette bench storage gone.

I've attached pictures. I still need to do some finish work, like staining the base (but it's easier to see in the pictures unstained) and patching screw holes. I also want to add some shelves above the wheel well.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

Golly Rick I would appreciate instructions and source of the table and chairs! Looks great.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #3

Looks pretty awesome and more importantly comfortable. I imagine we will be doing something very similar. Thanks for leading the way!

2018 Jay Flight SLX 195RB
2014 Ford Flex (retired)
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L
Boooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:39 PM   #4

OK, here is some more information. There were three main pieces, removal, chairs, and table.

Removal: This was the mostly easy part. After removing cushions and seat base, it's just a matter of a bunch of screws. The only real work was that the LP detector had to be removed from one bench. I made a box from scrap 1x1 oak, mounted it on the wall where the wires emerge, stuffed the extra wire in the wall, and mounted the detector there.

Chairs: This is the trickiest part (at least for me). The chairs had to meet a number of requirements. First, they had to fit through the narrow door, preferably assembled, since many chairs are a pain to nearly impossible to disassemble. Our chairs barely fit with slight angling. Second, the base needs to be fairly narrow or the chairs will extend too far into the aisle between the kitchen and sitting area. This is made worse by the presence of the wheel well extending into the sitting area. Around a 20 inch base is what a figured as the maximum acceptable. Third, the sitting area needs to be narrow enough to also not impinge on the aisle too much. The round, barrel chair helps this, since a squarish chair requires enough room for the corners to clear the wall. We also wanted swivel and tilt capabilities. Finally, they needed to be as comfortable as would fit the other criteria, or what's the point. In the other thread someone just started on this topic, some people suggest gaming chairs, but the ones I've looked at seem to fail on almost all counts. These are the chairs we got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The white wasn't my preference, but black was definitely out of the question, as the dark wood already makes the interior darker than we like. For traveling, they seem quite stable when turned upside down, but we'll see about on rough, forest service roads.

Table: The chair closest to the door is forced a bit too far into the aisle to comfortably use the stock table, you end up primarily on the curved section. We decided to go with TV trays for maximum flexibility. We decided on this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...Gray/586447476, which kind of matches the floor.

Ottoman: Since we couldn't fit a recliner, we got these ottomans, which are inflatable, so light and easy to move around and store https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Overall, not as comfortable as my recliner at home, but massively better than the stock dinette for us. Let me know if you have additional questions. (The bed is another story, of course.)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:38 PM   #5

I hope you don't mind . . . I downloaded and rotated the photos.
Feel free to grab them and put them on your original post.

Kent
San Francisco
Attached Thumbnails
GoodbyeDinette-1.jpg   GoodbyeDinette-2.jpg   GoodbyeDinette-3.jpg  
Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #6

Looks great.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
I hope you don't mind . . . I downloaded and rotated the photos.
Feel free to grab them and put them on your original post.

Kent
San Francisco
Kent, thanks for doing this, I really should have taken the time before posting. I don't see a way to edit the original post, however (probably missing something obvious).

Moderator edit: I downloaded the re-oriented pics to the original post.