Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Thanks. I had a look today and fortunately the utility outlets are on their own dedicated 15A breaker. I'm thinking this is going to be fairly straight forward. I just don't know how or where to mount the inverter so it's out of the weather.

I have twin 6V batteries on the tongue for a total of 225AH - I want to run 3 fans that draw 1 amp total for about 12 hours at a time and I'm having a hard time doing the AC to DC conversion to see how much of a hit my batteries would take.
For now mine is kind of out in the weather. I plan to eventually mount a permanent one in the pass through, but i will probably still just plug the 30A cord into it, but at least the inverter will be out of the weather even if the pass through door is cracked. (Won't matter much for drafts at least., thanks to that earlier project I did.)

Also, 1 AMP at 120VAC is around 11 AMPS at 12VDC, of course that doesn't account for the losses in the inverter.

I picked up a 12VDC fan for the bedroom and a couple of USB (5VDC) for the bunkhouse. We only use the inverter for watching TV and charging the laptop, everything else we use is 12VDC. Our TV is actually 12V, but haven't gotten around to making the adapter to plug it into the 12V plug. But as we camp where there is no broadcast TV, it would be pointless unless the DVD player was 12VDC as well....one of these days.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #32

So that means that running 1 amp of AC for 12 hours would equal drawing 132 amps of DC? Which means that would pull down my batteries below 50%?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #33

Quote:
So that means that running 1 amp of AC for 12 hours would equal drawing 132 amps of DC? Which means that would pull down my batteries below 50%?
Correct, because of that you may be better off getting some 12V fans instead.

Of course 2 issues that that too. Not sure about the newer ones, but my 29BHS only has 1 12V outlet, which I plan on fixing with a 12V outlet on each side of the bedroom and 1 in the bunkhouse. Secondly, although more efficient for our needs, 12V and USB fans can be a bit noisier than household fans. I did find a good size 2 speed USB fan for my girls though that is almost silent at Home Depot.

6 in. USB Fan-ME6606G-TACL - The Home Depot
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #34

Thanks for that info. Everyone in my family tends to like the bit of background white noise from fans when we sleep, as well as the air circulation. It's surprising just how much DC it takes to make a sliver of AC power. I figured twin Trojan T-105s would be more than enough to spin fans overnight considering we have camped 4 days without needing to recharge, but I suppose the difference was we were pulling small quantities of DC directly from the batteries and not converting anything to AC.

All great info, all great thoughts to ponder. Really nice to see an older truck still looking good and pulling hard, and an older trailer still rolling strong!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #35

Quote:
... Really nice to see an older truck still looking good and pulling hard, and an older trailer still rolling strong!
Thanks! My Super Duty only has 90k miles on it, I bought it a few years back with very low miles on it. Was going to get a 05+, but I was looking for a V10 with a crew cab and I had been looking for months. My wife found it, it was too old, but after test drive I decided to go for it. The '99 V10s only have 275 hp, so it isn't the fastest on the hills, but otherwise it pulls great and hasn't given me any serious issues.

The 29BHS still looked new inside when we picked it up last year. Was also going to pick up something newer after owning a '77 Layton. But it was exactly the size and layout we wanted, was impressed by the condition, and the seller had it in a storage lot only 8 miles from home. Other than some sun fading and such it has been the perfect TT for my family. I'm very glad I went with a Jayco even if it was a bit older! As a bonus, I didn't realize until I went to pick it up, that the white with silver on the bottom almost exactly matches the Ford.