Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Well, the good news is that it did not take a month to receive the RF controller (only about 10 days). All the controls work well...all, EXCEPT the dimmer control! RATS!!
How did you wire it in? I can't imagine the Eagle wiring is much different than my Flight's.
Shmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #22

All LED lights are NOT designed to dim. You can't just put a cheap dimmer on these to dim them. LED's have a control circuit between them and the line voltage much like a ballast for fluorescent lighting which you can't dim either unless it is ballast designed to dim.

I would check with Jayco to see if the LED's used are able to be dimmed or not. Otherwise you won't do them any good.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeek View Post
How did you wire it in? I can't imagine the Eagle wiring is much different than my Flight's.
Well, my set up is different cuz I have installed the LED light strip, rather than it coming already installed from the factory. Sorry if I mis-led you on that but I was mostly referring to the RF controller rather than the IR controller. An update though, the dimmer function on the remote DOES work. All the other buttons (functions) on the remote work with just a "click" but the dimmers only work if you hold the button down for a period. The RF controller on my set-up just plugs into the light strip on one end and the AC adapter on the other. I would think you could direct connect yours where the wire leads to the light strip. Not sure if your light strip is connected directly to the 12V system or if there is an AC adapter. I guess you need to call Jayco to get some more info and/or possibly a wiring diagram. Have fun!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #24

PWM LED Dimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeek View Post
I don't think you can do anything at the switch, as the switch controls both the step light (incandescent) and LED strip light. I suppose you could remove the bulb for the step light, effectively breaking that part of the circuit, so that the dimmer only had an affect on the strip lights.
Both the LED and the step light wire goes to the switch panel (at least on my 29RKS). That is the good news. The bad news is that it is only the hot wire and I'm told that you can't use a common ground on the PWM dimmers. I haven't proven that yet but since I don't want to get into a "project" before I leave for a week trip on Friday I'm going to leave it for another day. If anyone knows a spot to easily access both wires of the LED strip from the inside of the trailer that would be great info.

I bought the TorchStar dimmer from Amazon, if anyone has successfully used this or a similar PWM dimmer I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance for any help!

rod
Crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrod View Post
Both the LED and the step light wire goes to the switch panel (at least on my 29RKS). That is the good news. The bad news is that it is only the hot wire and I'm told that you can't use a common ground on the PWM dimmers. I haven't proven that yet but since I don't want to get into a "project" before I leave for a week trip on Friday I'm going to leave it for another day. If anyone knows a spot to easily access both wires of the LED strip from the inside of the trailer that would be great info.

I bought the TorchStar dimmer from Amazon, if anyone has successfully used this or a similar PWM dimmer I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance for any help!

rod
You are correct, LEDs use PWM for dimming, so the dimmer needs to be wired directly to the pos & neg on the light; wiring it into the switch panel doesn't work, I tried with a couple different dimmers. Apparently, not all LEDs are dimmable even with PWM, but I have not discovered one that did not dim with the dimmer in the discussion below (I tried with flood lamps, and the LED strip on my trailer and both worked).

There are a couple discussions on this, here's what I did; very similar to another user, and a couple different ideas in the thread...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...s-27671-3.html

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote