Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2016, 11:47 PM   #1

2015 Jayco 29.5 BHDS Stereo Mods

So I just picked up a slightly used (3 weekend trips) 29.5 BHDS. I am one of those guys who like to change things, improve, make sure stuff is sealed and working right.

This question is for anyone with the 2015 or 2016 BHDS or other units using the same system my unit has. What have you changed out for components? I will prob end up changing everything out as I find the factory stuff sub par.

Just curious,..and this is my first post here so please be gentle! Lol
Phatkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Id just leave it alone. I use a small BT speaker which I keep low.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

Well I took it to a local trusted custom stereo shop. Stay tuned for the mods
Old 06-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

I'm going to make some changes to the stereo and TV in my 25BH also. The sound quality on both the TV and the stereo is really horrible. I am big into good sound, if it doesn't sound right I can't stand listening to it.

I'm going to upgrade the ceiling speakers, add a small amplifier and sub woofer. Not so much to make it loud, but to make it sound full. Right now it sounds like an alarm clock radio.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
I'm going to make some changes to the stereo and TV in my 25BH also. The sound quality on both the TV and the stereo is really horrible. I am big into good sound, if it doesn't sound right I can't stand listening to it.

I'm going to upgrade the ceiling speakers, add a small amplifier and sub woofer. Not so much to make it loud, but to make it sound full. Right now it sounds like an alarm clock radio.
Agree 100%!!!
Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 AM   #6

We just picked up a 32bhds and im in the same boat, I find the head unit setup to be odd that none of the speakers are in stereo at minimum. one zone is front second is rear speakers, i cant remember what channel the outside speakers are but they are probably the worst speakers i have ever heard. i still havent found a head unit with 3 zones that plays each zone in stereo
kohj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohj1978 View Post
We just picked up a 32bhds and im in the same boat, I find the head unit setup to be odd that none of the speakers are in stereo at minimum. one zone is front second is rear speakers, i cant remember what channel the outside speakers are but they are probably the worst speakers i have ever heard. i still havent found a head unit with 3 zones that plays each zone in stereo
The only 2 manufacturers that I found who make a 3 zone stereo are Jenson and Furrion. Both are built for the RV industry so quality is less than sub par imho. What I have been thinking of doing is just having a custom plate made with switches indicating zones a,b,c.

I am not sure yet what I am going to do as the quote from the stereo shop came in about $3000 more than I want to spend. Lol
Old 06-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

I am going to pull my unit and replace with a car stereo with some wattage. I have several small Realistic box speakers that I will be mounting on the ceiling here and there. No outside speakers, will install a headphone jack and use a headset with a 25ft extension cable.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #9

I was thinking a touch screen android based car system as well, with a speaker switch, the switch's run around 40, and requires no power, its simple plug and play with left, right channels and most will bridge the front and rear into stereo. You can pickupan 8" touchscreen car system on ebay for under 300. Carstereos are super easy to install, really you should be able to do this for around 450-500 including some better speakers
Old 07-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #10

For your car stereo equipment check out Crutchfield. Warranty and return policy are great, along with customer service.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ct0VmVfhVaU[/URL]
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

Personally we use our stereo system for some quiet tunes (usually via the outside speakers) while cooking, eating or playing cards. I wouldn't want to create a speaker system that would push my music onto the site of the guy next to me. A subwoofer, even a small one, could potentially throw sound to my neighbors site.

Don't get me wrong, I had a sub in my previous truck and am still contemplating installing it in my current truck... but I know how annoying it can be to listen to someone else's bass when I am not listening to music.

I would encourage you to be considerate of your neighbors (not suggesting that you wouldn't be...) and consider abandoning your sub. At a bare minimum, if you get one then test it out in a quiet setting so you know how quiet it has to be so as to not encroach upon someone else's ears.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #12

I agree spoon. I couldn't imagine having a sub in a camper at any camp ground. We just did our first few weeks in the new camper and really didn't use the outdoor speakers. But my entire family loves music so someone always had the radio on inside. I did find the speaker placement an issue and still find it odd that each speaker selection isnt in stereo. So the sound output is horrible.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

I don't camp in campgrounds. I only boondock. My only neighbours are coyotes, wolves, bears, Elk, Moose and deer,..the odd rabbit and squirrel too I have yet to hear any complaining from them.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #14

I have to agree. The stereo in my new 29.5BHDS is no where near the sound quality as my 2009 wilderness that had a Jensen System. Has anyone used / purchased the soundbar/sub-woofer from Furrion? Replaced the outside speakers yet? I see the 2017 are more flush mount where my 2016 are more of a rasied cone and sound horrible!
tledwards25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #15

Why not use one system for outside speakers installed in a storage bay and another inside with the F/R as the two zones?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #16

Adding a sub, amp and quality speakers is not always about making it loud. The reality is the sound quality from many factory systems is very flat. Yes amps and subs will make it loud. But you don't need to have it loud to get the effect of the upgrade.

We aren't saying we want to boom out the campground. But what we do want is clean full sound both when listening to music and watching TV.

I have a pretty good system in my truck. Here is the install, all new door and dash speakers as well. All Rockford Fosgate. You can hear the truck from blocks away...if I want you to. But mostly I ride with the windows up, AC on and volume fairly low.

I get the same crisp clean full sound at low volumes as I do at high volumes.

This is my tow vehicle. 2008 Escalade EXT. Only thing in the stereo system that is still factory is the head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
bass11.JPG   bass7.JPG   bass6.JPG   bass10.JPG  
Old 07-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
Adding a sub, amp and quality speakers is not always about making it loud. The reality is the sound quality from many factory systems is very flat. Yes amps and subs will make it loud. But you don't need to have it loud to get the effect of the upgrade.

We aren't saying we want to boom out the campground. But what we do want is clean full sound both when listening to music and watching TV.

I have a pretty good system in my truck. Here is the install, all new door and dash speakers as well. All Rockford Fosgate. You can hear the truck from blocks away...if I want you to. But mostly I ride with the windows up, AC on and volume fairly low.

I get the same crisp clean full sound at low volumes as I do at high volumes.

This is my tow vehicle. 2008 Escalade EXT. Only thing in the stereo system that is still factory is the head unit.
Looks like no more 8ft load bed for you

I had an 07 Avalanche and often dropped the mid-gate so I could put 8ft loads in out of the weather.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Looks like no more 8ft load bed for you

I had an 07 Avalanche and often dropped the mid-gate so I could put 8ft loads in out of the weather.
I never used the mid gate anyway. I also had an Avalanche for many years before this Caddy. I use the bed of the truck more like the trunk of a car.