Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

23B taller toilet? Better shower set-up?

Hi all. I’m new here.
Just bought a 2014 23B. Love it, and its floor plan.

I see 3 glaring deficiencies though, all in the bathroom. No medicine cabinet, the shortest toilet on earth, and the worst shower set-up on earth.

1. I’m fairly handy, can I swap in a new taller toilet myself? How do I figure out which aftermarket toilets are compatible?

2. I’m planning to add a deep medicine cabinet on the wall above the toilet. Have asked Jayco for a framing schematic to look for studs and avoid any electrical or plumbing vents. Might bolt right through the wall as only the rear bed will see bolt heads.

3. I am open to suggestions on improving the shower. The whole shower hose/tap set-up is goofy! How can the shower curtain keep the water in? The sink cabinet and the rest of the bathroom must get soaked! The shower curtain we got with the unit (we are the second owners) has a big notch cut out of it. Is that the way the curtain came from Jayco? Or is that a mod made by the first owner? Seems to me a slit would have worked better.

Anyway what are my options for improving the whole shower functionality? I’m all ears.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cheers,
Dr. Bob
DrBob7762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum, Dr. Bob, and here's hoping the mods you have in mind will keep you loving your JayFeather.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #3

This is the toilet riser I bought. Raises the toilet about 4".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

1) I'd say yes. they are bolted down; remove the bolts, remove the toilet, install the new one. I did just that on a previous trailer.

Apply all appropriate safeguards.

Now, the debate will turn to which brand and how high etc. but the toilets are easy to replace.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Welcome!

The toilet is really easy to swap out. I helped my dad change out the toilet in his trailer.

Our X20E is the a smaller version of the X23B. The shower is identical. Yes, the cutout is on purpose from the factory to allow easy access to the hot/cold knobs. We have had a little water get out on the bottom if you don't make sure the curtain is inside before turning the water on. My wife puts a towel along the bottom of the shower basin to catch stray water. Other than that we have not had any issues. Some here have posted they added a piece of Velcro to each side to secure it to the wall.

You'll love your X23B!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

I just took a look. I've gotta admit, that is one pitiful shower. Not sure what you can do in the space provided, unless you remove the bathroom sink and just use the kitchen sink. And then fabricate a bigger shower to use that vacated space.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

If I recall the 2014 model has the low shower pan too. When we bought ours, we decided immediately that we would use the CG shower house. There has been lots of posts out there where people have added various clips and pan extensions to ensure the water stays in the shower.

Good luck, post some pictures of your solution.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

Maybe I can help you regarding your shower curtain water problem. Now this isn’t my idea but one of our forum members posted this suggestion a few years ago and it works great.

You attach the U channel to the shower wall then put the curtain over the channel then push the foam backer rod in place and your done on the wall next to the sink.

These two pieces came from Home Depot:
The U channel is in the lightning department (LED) section at the outer edge of the shelving rack in a 4” white PVC pipe about 4’ tall with these U channels sticking out of it. I think their 5’ long.

The Backer rod (Foam & medium size) is in the concrete block section of the store.

I’ll go out in my shop and get you a closeup picture and SKU # for the channel.
If you live in White Rock, BC. I can bring the parts up to you this weekend when I take my Dog to the beach. I live just a few miles from HD so it’s no problem picking up the U channel and I have plenty of the rod left over so it’s yours.

Don’t know why the pic went sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
352F53A9-9C51-47AE-9DA3-EBB15E628ED0.jpg  
Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #9

The channel #is 406171

SKU # is 08339 67062

Backer rod size is (Medium )
Attached Thumbnails
5D338888-A1D9-4A79-9D1B-70F196AC2F75.jpg  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #10

23B Shower

Love my 2017 23b, but the shower is useless! Would love to be able to put a real door of some type on it but haven't figured it out yet. If anybody has added a radius style door, please share.
bretkissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 AM   #11

I just ordered the Thetford toilet riser after talking to Thetford about high profile toilets. Hope it is easy to install??
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote