Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

23rlsw latest mods

Been doing mods to my new 23RLSW since I picked it up in April. I've changed out the jack knife sofa to a sofa/recliner, added a 40" TV to the living area, did a power cord conversion, and added a PE hard wired surge protector.

I added a locking aluminum battery box also so I decided to wire in a cutoff switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	25629

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	25630

I also decided to add a dual port USB charger/volt meter below the TV to charge phones, etc.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	25633[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I'm sure there will numerous mods to do down the road but I'm not one to be satisfied with stock anything.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1953.jpg   IMG_1954.jpg  
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

Nice mods! I did the Battery box on mine also with the cutoff switch.

Will have to think about the others now I see your work.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

TxTwoSome, hope all is well so far this camping season. Taking my unit in to the dealer tomorrow for the entry door replacement and some other warranty work. If you remember my pics showing the screwed up deadbolt latch, that is only part of the issue.

I also noticed the top gap between the door & the door frame is almost 3/8" wider on the top left corner compared to the top right corner. Who ever installed this door should be given a week off and dock their pay. No excuse for it.

FYI, since you have the same floor plan, there is some bracing directly behind and at the lower edge where I added the plug & voltage gauge. The voltage gauge is a lot shorter so that is the one that is in front of the vertical bracing. The bracing seems to be about 3/4" square or so if I remember right.

I pulled the radio & tapped into the Black & White wires that feed it and ran the wires over to the plugs.

You need to drill 2 - 1 1/8" holes and spacing measurements are crucial.

The wall next to the radio has no clearance problems but you can't see it in that location. Good luck if you tackle the mod.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #4

I like your mod but I did notice that the USB charger you chose has one port at 2.1 amp and 1 port at 1 amp. It's been my experience, at least with Apple products, that a 1 amp port won't charge the newer iPads and anything past an iPhone 4.
There are some chargers that will fit in that plate that have two 2.1 amp plugs but they are harder to find and more expensive.
Have you had any issues charging devices with the 1 amp plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
TxTwoSome, hope all is well so far this camping season. Taking my unit in to the dealer tomorrow for the entry door replacement and some other warranty work. If you remember my pics showing the screwed up deadbolt latch, that is only part of the issue.

I also noticed the top gap between the door & the door frame is almost 3/8" wider on the top left corner compared to the top right corner. Who ever installed this door should be given a week off and dock their pay. No excuse for it.

FYI, since you have the same floor plan, there is some bracing directly behind and at the lower edge where I added the plug & voltage gauge. The voltage gauge is a lot shorter so that is the one that is in front of the vertical bracing. The bracing seems to be about 3/4" square or so if I remember right.

I pulled the radio & tapped into the Black & White wires that feed it and ran the wires over to the plugs.

You need to drill 2 - 1 1/8" holes and spacing measurements are crucial.

The wall next to the radio has no clearance problems but you can't see it in that location. Good luck if you tackle the mod.
Wireman

Thanks for the extra info I am going to do this mod for sure.

Also so far this camping season we have not had one issue concerning the trailer. Sorry to hear about the troubles with yours.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

BuddyRay, Just put this in so I haven't charged anything on the 1.0 amp plug.

I do have a charger/plug that I put in the existing cigarette lighter plug just to the right of my mod. It does have a 2.1 amp on it also.

This mod makes it a easier to plug accessories plus I can monitor battery voltage also. There probably is a dual 2.1 plug on amazon if I find this isn't working out. Would be easy to change out now if needed.

And the cool blue lights are worth it.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #7

Hi wireman,
This has been interesting because we took delivery on our Starcraft 24rls last April also, it's the same model as yours but from star rather than jayco. But ours came with the battery cutoff already installed inside the front storage hatch, and a 2 usb charging station already mounted under the tv. Interesting how the same model has different features depending on the name plate.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
Hi wireman,
This has been interesting because we took delivery on our Starcraft 24rls last April also, it's the same model as yours but from star rather than jayco. But ours came with the battery cutoff already installed inside the front storage hatch, and a 2 usb charging station already mounted under the tv. Interesting how the same model has different features depending on the name plate.
Came out of two different plants. STARCRAFT does design independently. Prime example is the SOLSTICE FW.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #9

secal148, I did consider your floorplan but it was a little longer and heavier than the Jayco model. That was a concern with my tow vehicle.

I would have liked to have that extra room in the bedroom, the clamshell shower door and a few extra's that are present in the StarCraft model.

In SoCal I live only 12 miles from the Jayco dealer, the largest in the country, and have done business with them for 20 years. So that also was a consideration.

If I had a larger TV I may have gone with the StarCraft. But still happy with the decision I made. Both great floorplans for 2 people.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #10

How visible is voltage monitor after installing 40" tv?
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa View Post
how visible is voltage monitor after installing 40" tv?

Name:	IMG_1982.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	32635

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	32636