Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

26BH- Added Second 12V Marine Battery

The pictures pretty much say it all. All I had to buy was a battery, 4 feet of 6 gauge multistrand wire, 4 electrical connectors, 4 each of 1/4 inch bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers, and a battery box.

Tools needed were an electric drill and bits, pliers, wire cutters, wire stripper, phillips screwdriver, electrical tape, 5/16 inch wrench and 7/16 inch wrench. Cost, including the battery was just about $100.
Attached Thumbnails
bat1.jpg   bat2.jpg  

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

That is awesome! I dont need that much battery very often, but I hope to need it soon! (ie - more camping!)

Are those Group 24 or Group 27 batteries? Trying to figure out if I can get two GC2 battery boxes to fit on that rail.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

Group 24, Tafische. I made a(nother) mistake and drilled the mounting holes for the boxes without first putting the lids on. I can get the lids on, but it's pretty tight.

I used 6 gauge wire because I could only find fittings to fit the battery studs in that size. Otherwise, 8 gauge would have been fine.

Chatting with you now, I just remembered about changing out that 30 amp fuse for a 15 amp. Got the gen running, batteries are just about at full charge. The inverter is powering the laptop. Perfect time to try the 15 amper.

Have a good one (preferable Bud Light!)

Bill
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #4

Well it looks like a good job to me! So based on your pic, I bet a pair of Group 27s would not fit. I think the 6 volts are more the footprint of the 24s.

So based on your experience putting those on there what do you think of something like this box?

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html

Does this look like it would fit ok on that rail?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

Length and height would definitely fit, but I'm not sure about the width. You'd have to measure between the angle iron cross members to see if the 7-3/4 inch base width would fit there.

Not sure what the width of the type 24 boxes is, and I'm not goin' out there now and take a measurement. Just took a shower and flopped down in bed. LOL

From what I've read, if you can get true deep cycle 12V batteries, you'll get better performance and longer life than provided by the Marine type batteries. Marine batteries are more of a hybrid between starting (auto batteries) and deep cycle. Dual purpose, to start boat motors and run the troll motor too.

True deep cycle batteries would have solid plate. Starting batteries have lead sponge plates for quicker high amperage discharge when starting an engine. Marine batteries are put in new RVs because they are cheaper, not because they are the ideal battery for the application.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Have not thought about the width...was always worried about the length...good point...better 2x check that!

As I was looking at it, I am wondering if that white plastic has any UV protection or how it holds up outdoors. I have an inquiry in with the vendor. Might be better just to go with 2 boxes, but I thought it was cool.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

SmokerBill,

Could you post the wiring diagram for the dual 12V batteries?

I tried to follow the wires in the pictures and got lost.

This is a mod I'd like to make.

BTW, what is and where is the 30A fuse you changed to 15A?

Regards,
Jim
obrienj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

Hey Jim,

The fuse swap was something totally unrelated to adding the second battery, so you don't have to worry about that.

I made up a schematic drawing showing how I connected the batteries. Be aware that the positive and negative jumper wires DO NOT connect together at the point where the two wires cross on the drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
battery1.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
snip.....Not sure what the width of the type 24 boxes is, and I'm not goin' out there now and take a measurement. Just took a shower and flopped down in bed. LOL

From what I've read, if you can get true deep cycle 12V batteries, you'll get better performance and longer life than provided by the Marine type batteries. ....snip
Bill,

The inside dimension between the angle support rails on my 2005 Eagle is 7 1/2" which allows for a standard group 24 box width. I just upgraded to two 6V deep cycle batteries and it was a little challenge to find a single place box with the additional 1" height required for the deep cycle (GC-2) batteries, and also a width that would fit into the existing Jayco support rails.

I found one manufactured by Power House A/T, #13228. I purchased mine from http://www.rvplus.com/power-house-a-...ack-13228.html Basically it's a modified group 24 box with an additional 1" in height. NOCO makes a box for the GC-2 deep cycle, but the manufacture told me that they are 7 3/4" wide...., won't fit.

Your correct, the deep cycle batteries provide more amp/hr capacities, and can take a lot more discharge/charge cycles without compromising battery life like the Marine/RV batteries.

With deep cycle batteries averaging 70lbs in weight, I prefer the single boxes for ease of handling because I have to remove mine every time my TT is in storage (between trips).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote