Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

28BHBE Solar Install Question

Anyone installed solar on their 28BHBE? I have a 2016 and am beginning my planning. My question is the wire run from a roof combiner box to the interior of the trailer.

I've considered two places for the major components of the install. The 1st is on the front wall of the under bed storage. I have built a divider along the back wall of the front pass thru. My 2nd thought was along the front of the pass thru in the center (basically the back side of the batteries). Either location is only a few feet difference for battery connection.

My 28BHBE is an elite with fiberglass walls and the thermal package. I can think of two places to bring the combiner box PV cable in.

Down the front wall from the roof or down through the entertainment center area. Through the front I would want to run through the area between the exterior wall and the interior wall. I can only imagine that there is insulation and framing in this area, however looking at the factory wiring into my pass thru this weekend gave me some hope...

The idea of down into the entertainment center area is due to the location of the AM/FM antenna on top of the coach.

I want this install to be done properly and look great/stock. All front to back wiring will be under the coach to the point of coming through the floor to connect to the board with the electrical components. My initial thoughts for the wire size from the combiner box to the component location is 2AWG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

I'm searching for the same thing, and just curious if/how you ended up going. I'm also curious about the route above entertainment center for a wifi/lte antenna. I thought about going up through the cabinet above the shoe bench to a junction box on the roof. I'm a bit curious about the vent ducting in that area though. Also considered coming down by the cabinet to the left of the microwave, more for solar and eventually putting good lithium batteries maybe down behind the sink area (taking weight on tongue).
jp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Team

I have an EAGLE 284BHS and I installed my SOLAR charge controller in the front pass through. I mounted my wiring on a board that has a piano hinge on the side and I am able to swing it out from the front wall, to work on it. Works good for me.

I ran my SOLAR panel cables under my awning to the front of the TT and down the awning vertical support and drilled a hole into the front pass through. If I were to do it again, I would run the cables down through the refrigerator roof vent to the underside of the TT and along the frame to the front pass through.

Pictures are in my SOLAR album.

Good Luck,
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Thanks, I was just browsing through your posts. I've seen people mention the fridge roof vent before, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how that actually works. You just fish the wires in through there? I assume there's some overlapping lips, but in my mind still seems like there might be an opportunity for water to drip down along the wire. Is there something I'm missing?
jp83 is offline   Reply With Quote