Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Here is the clamp to hold two 4/0 cables and more pics of the AC flow mods

Thanks again Rusty for the A/C airflow mod. I just finished printing and installing it in my Greyhawk 29 MV. Made a huge difference in the airflow and overall cooling. I'll check out some of your other designs as well.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am very intrigued by the 3D Printer concept and am thinking of jumping in with something called an Ender 3 Pro. Seems very affordable and a decent entry level printer. You do have to assemble it but I am not worried about that part. Anybody have any experience with this printer?

https://www.creality.com/goods-detai...pro-3d-printer

Good choice, we have one and it prints very well for the price of the machine. We have 2 printer going almost all the time with stuff off of thingiverse and other mods that we think up and design. it's a great hobby.

Enjoy
Old 04-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
My tinkercad skills are awful. But when a small - but essential - shower door bracket broke, I made a reasonable approximation and 3D printed it up.

It worked, but didn't last as long as I had hoped.
It's a learning experience so I may try a different material (ie. ABS) or thicken up the walls...

On parts where there is a lot of stress increase the density. PLA will work for most parts at a higher print density (infill) unless heat is a factor.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #24

I just added the cable clamps fro 4/0 cable and a design I had forgot about which is the mounting buttons for the Coleman/Airxcel wall mounted thermostat. After the second set of buttons broke I went to order some more and then I was like, wait a minute, I can make these They have held up great after a year, made with PLA. The thermostat is in a spot that easily gets bumped when the slide is in.

https://www.thingiverse.com/browningm37/designs
Attached Thumbnails
5D9E52A5-2812-4D0C-9227-8606231028A2.jpg   E9F33D9F-D2A2-45CF-89BD-46B7716F1755.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Be aware that there is a V2 version (same website), only ~$40 more and from the youtube reviews it is worth the extra $40. That is the one I think I may purchase.

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/p...040.YkKM30UywI

~CA

I have that Ender 3 V2. Not the pro.
Amazing printer for a beginner.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
On parts where there is a lot of stress increase the density. PLA will work for most parts at a higher print density (infill) unless heat is a factor.

Thanks - I just upped the inflill density and am trying another one. Great thing is it's only a 45 minute print. I can afford to make multiple runs at it.

Getting the hang of bed-leveling and remembering to adjust the print temps have been at the root of my initial failures.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #27

I wonder if we could have a place on this forum to upload and share STL files?
Old 05-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure but have asked our Admin group to advise.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have been considering a 3d printer for a while now, the creality ender 3 pro certainly has an attractive price. ~CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
The Ender 3 pro is a fantastic starter printer, and definitely best in class at its price point.
A little late to this discussion, but my daughter has an Ender 3. She has been extremely happy with it.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #30

Quote:

I just tried and an STL wont upload, I dont know if the Admins can do anything to change that, they are very small files. Probably the easiest way is to just start a profile on Thingiverse and post links to your page.

Latest project...when you order a new pair of speakers for the outside TV compartment and the specs says it needs a 5" cutout and you find out that the specs are wrong. Spacing the speaker out 1/2" will work perfect instead of trying to cut a new hole in the recesses metal panel...so you print a speaker spacer. Thats what is so great about a 3D printer, instantly, well within a few hours, having a fix for a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
181091954_2553726414923915_7338816986831503218_n.jpg   179083652_3954130581336893_7173874555970079498_n.jpg  

Old 05-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #31

I have the Ender3 v2 at home and the Raise 3D Pro2 Plus at work. The Ender is very accurate and is in some ways easier to use than the Pro2 Plus. Both require that the nozzle clearance be set accurately. The Pro2 Plus is simple with one Z setting and auto bed leveling, but the Ender is not bad after you get the hang of it. I found that nozzle clearance and bed leveling to be the most important adjustments.
Other adjustments can be accomplished in the slicer. The Creality version of Cura is pretty easy to use. I generally adjust layer thickness, infill, and whether or not to use supports or a brim. Rarely use a raft on the Ender. I also settled on 195C filament temp with Hatchbox PLA. I have 3 different build plates for the Raise 3D depending on what I am printing but anything over 10mm thick needs a raft. I think it is due to the type of filament (some brand of PLA). Still feeling out the Raise 3D on printing ABS. That stuff can be difficult to get a good print but when it works, the parts are near production quality.
As far as making stuff for the camper, my latest are some over-center broom holder (Thingiverse) clips for mounting my little broom and rake. The roof vent knob and screen door latch I mentioned in an earlier and a project box for switches to control the rear view camera/TPMS booster circuits. Oh, and the AA and AAA battery boxes to store spare batteries. I am currently on my 4th spool of filament so there are a LOT more things printed. I am having a blast with this thing. I am tempted to build a little one to take camping but I dont know about that...
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #32

At the risk of sounding extremely naïve and borderline stupid, how difficult is it to "design" a piece from scratch? I am very computer literate but have zero CAD experience. I can fabricate anything out of metal but usually work from my head and a piece of scrap paper.

I really want to jump in on this 3D printer thing but not sure I have the ability to draw plans...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Not sure but have asked our Admin group to advise.
Moderator note: This question has been posed to our Admin group. No need to keep asking about it for now.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #34

Quote:
At the risk of sounding extremely naïve and borderline stupid, how difficult is it to "design" a piece from scratch? I am very computer literate but have zero CAD experience. I can fabricate anything out of metal but usually work from my head and a piece of scrap paper.

I really want to jump in on this 3D printer thing but not sure I have the ability to draw plans...
I design models in Mechanical Desktop and Solidworks. If you want to try practicing on a free platform, check out OnShape. It is a lot like Solidworks. It may be a steep learning curve though. It is worth a shot to check out.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb285rks View Post
I design models in Mechanical Desktop and Solidworks. If you want to try practicing on a free platform, check out OnShape. It is a lot like Solidworks. It may be a steep learning curve though. It is worth a shot to check out.
Thanks I will check it out...
Old 05-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #36

You can use the free version of SketchUp. To save yourself some headaches just work in millimeters across the board.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #37

I have used 2D cad for 30 years but still a little bit of a learning curve with 3D. I am using Autodesk Fusion 360 which is FREE for personal use but is limited but none of the limits are anything I need. It is nice that its cloud based and I can login anywhere. Very powerful programs and fairly easy to learn as there are thousands of youtube videos on it. If I get stuck on something I just search youtube and what I want to accomplish and there is a tutorial.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Old 05-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #38

Quote:

Thanks for the question I want to know too!
blackoctaupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Trust me, no one and I mean no one is dumber than me when it comes to mechanical engineering stuff!

Never took a CAD class, Sketchup confuses me.

Start with Tinkercad. It's online, it's free and it's tailored towards kids about 5.

Lot's of youtube videos, then come back and ask questions. But most of all - just start making stuff! Make stuff - make Boaty McBoatface, cubes, temperature towers. Just make stuff.

You're going to toss out most of your initial efforts until you figure out how to get that bed level, what temperatures your filament prefers, what supports are, etc.

Head to Thingiverse, search for something (anything), download the STL files and just start printing!
Old 05-04-2021, 06:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb285rks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
You can use the free version of SketchUp. To save yourself some headaches just work in millimeters across the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I have used 2D cad for 30 years but still a little bit of a learning curve with 3D. I am using Autodesk Fusion 360 which is FREE for personal use but is limited but none of the limits are anything I need. It is nice that its cloud based and I can login anywhere. Very powerful programs and fairly easy to learn as there are thousands of youtube videos on it. If I get stuck on something I just search youtube and what I want to accomplish and there is a tutorial.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal
Quote:
Trust me, no one and I mean no one is dumber than me when it comes to mechanical engineering stuff!

Never took a CAD class, Sketchup confuses me.

Start with Tinkercad. It's online, it's free and it's tailored towards kids about 5.

Lot's of youtube videos, then come back and ask questions. But most of all - just start making stuff! Make stuff - make Boaty McBoatface, cubes, temperature towers. Just make stuff.

You're going to toss out most of your initial efforts until you figure out how to get that bed level, what temperatures your filament prefers, what supports are, etc.

Head to Thingiverse, search for something (anything), download the STL files and just start printing!
Thank you for all the replies - I believe I am going to head down this 3D printing Rabbit Hole and see where it takes me. Ender 3 Pro is what I am going to jump in with....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)