Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoctaupus View Post
Thanks for the question I want to know too!
Make that 3 of us. I've tried a couple and haven't been able to do what I want. Lack of knowledge/understanding of software is my problem. I have a piece semi-designed but can't figure out how to finish it.

The previous post with quotes has tons of good info. Thanks to everyone that offered up info!! My wife may kill me but eventually I WILL HAVE a 3d printer.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Make that 3 of us. I've tried a couple and haven't been able to do what I want. Lack of knowledge/understanding of software is my problem. I have a piece semi-designed but can't figure out how to finish it.

The previous post with quotes has tons of good info. Thanks to everyone that offered up info!! My wife may kill me but eventually I WILL HAVE a 3d printer.
I made a bunch of engraved knife sheaths for my wife's Cutcos and some random Fleur d lis decorations. See honey we need this thing!
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #43

Quote:
I WILL HAVE a 3d printer.

Believe me, after you have one, you just try and thing of things to print with it. If you have Milwaukee cordless tools, there are tons of battery holders and accessories for them. My favorite is the really loud emergency whistles to send home with the grandkids

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Thank you for all the replies - I believe I am going to head down this 3D printing Rabbit Hole and see where it takes me. Ender 3 Pro is what I am going to jump in with....
welcome to the dark side!

FYI - the Ender will ship with a little bit of filament. Just enough to get you going. Toss in a roll of 1.75mm PLA (or PLA+) in your cart.

I've bought from Amazon, and our local Micro Center carries it too.

My novice suggestion is to make sure it's PLA or PLA+. I was in Micro Center and thought "filament is filament" and came home with a roll of incompatible stuff. Get things figured out w/ PLA and then try other chemistries.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #45

Quote:

That's one reason why the ability to upload and share STL files here could be useful. Other experts could download them and help teach the rest of us how to finish a part.

Imagine a library of replacement parts. Need a bracket for a 2003 Jayco Something? Voila!

If the powers-that-be decide that uploading STL file here isn't in our best interest, then there are many other sites dedicating to sharing those files.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #46

My question - does anyone do a lot of resin SLA printing? I'm happy with the ease and no-fuss, no-mess of the FDM approach. But those resin printers sure do look cool!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
welcome to the dark side!

FYI - the Ender will ship with a little bit of filament. Just enough to get you going. Toss in a roll of 1.75mm PLA (or PLA+) in your cart.

I've bought from Amazon, and our local Micro Center carries it too.

My novice suggestion is to make sure it's PLA or PLA+. I was in Micro Center and thought "filament is filament" and came home with a roll of incompatible stuff. Get things figured out w/ PLA and then try other chemistries.
This does seem like a slippery slope! Thanks for the guidance...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #48

So I just realized that we can upload ZIP files to this forum. So I grabbed my AC mod files and zipped them up. If somebody could try downloading it and unzip and see if your slicer will open them OK.....if this works, then we can upload STL files here that way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Zipped STL files.zip (33.4 KB, 34 views)

Old 05-05-2021, 05:32 AM   #49

Just ZIP it!

Unzipped, loaded your file into CURA, looks great!
I am a huge fan of 3d printing, I use a Ender 3.
TINKERCAD is my go-to program for 3d parts design. Most of the CAD programs make my head spin, wayyy too involved.
Most recent print is the little screw cover caps for the exterior fridge vent that keep falling off.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fridge wall vent Cap.zip (5.9 KB, 22 views)
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
So I just realized that we can upload ZIP files to this forum. So I grabbed my AC mod files and zipped them up. If somebody could try downloading it and unzip and see if your slicer will open them OK.....if this works, then we can upload STL files here that way.
Look great!!!

Big pieces probably at the limit of my Ender 3 v3.

Question - for very large pieces like this, what infill setting works best? Seems like one could dial it down.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Unzipped, loaded your file into CURA, looks great!
I am a huge fan of 3d printing, I use a Ender 3.
TINKERCAD is my go-to program for 3d parts design. Most of the CAD programs make my head spin, wayyy too involved.
Most recent print is the little screw cover caps for the exterior fridge vent that keep falling off.

Worked great - pulled it back into TinkerCad then back out as an STL! Thank you!
Old 05-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Look great!!!

Big pieces probably at the limit of my Ender 3 v3.

Question - for very large pieces like this, what infill setting works best? Seems like one could dial it down.

Thanks!

If you go to my Thingiverse page, I say how I printed the items I designed. Some took a couple trys like the vent knob....first one snapped off at the smaller stem so I upped the infill and its seems to be fine. For the large AC fillers, since they are foil taped in and no stress on them I printed at 10% infill and they printed great.

https://www.thingiverse.com/browningm37/collections

Old 06-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #53

dash cam - bracket for rearview mirror

I bought an inexpensive dash cam on Amazon. $25. It came with a suction cup, that worked but I wanted it mounted behind the rear-view mirror. I think it'll be less distracting there.

Searched Tinkercad - and yes! There are a few options out there. Downloaded one that looked close and had to tinker with it a bit to make it fit my situation.

But a few prints later, and we've got something that'll work! The arm is in white because I ran out of black filament.
Attached Thumbnails
camera.png  
Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #54

Quote:
My question - does anyone do a lot of resin SLA printing? I'm happy with the ease and no-fuss, no-mess of the FDM approach. But those resin printers sure do look cool!
Resin is cool, but messy, pain in the ass, super toxic, and small build volume. It’s great for what it’s great for. But FDM is great for a lot too. Cut teeth on FDM, add in resin if needed.
shortyjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #55

This is a great idea for a thread. I hope to see more RVers taking advantage of this technology. I have done a few pieces for my 2020 Jayco Redhawk 31F. Like others, I did a version of the AC mod, including cleaning up the roof ducting and retaping everything. It helped a lot. I still have to test it out on a hot day, but the vents actually blow in the rear bedroom now. I will add pictures of some other items I printed when I get pics.
Attached Thumbnails
64489107322__CC1E1478-2812-4D56-A1E6-18C1A0D50F81.JPG   IMG_3059.JPG   IMG_3070.JPG  
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #56

Here’s my most recent. A molded step to get into the top bunk. Angled so the bathroom door doesn’t hit it, secured with 3x 2” kreg screws (just flanged coarse thread pan heads).

shortyjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #57

Man - it's nice to see professional design work.
Great job!!!
Old 06-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
Here’s my most recent. A molded step to get into the top bunk. Angled so the bathroom door doesn’t hit it, secured with 3x 2” kreg screws (just flanged coarse thread pan heads).

Good idea. I will have to see if I can incorporate a step for the bunks in my RV. My daughter gets annoyed when my son has to step on her bunk to get into his. Thanks for the idea!

Were you able to locate studs to drive the screws into? If so, how?
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #59

3D printed Norcold 2118 Refridgerator door catch

There are a few for Dometic "Door Cards" that holds the RV fridge door open when not in use on Thingiverse that I have used that worked well on my old 5er, but none were available for the Norcold. So, a few minuets on Tinkercad and this is the result. Actually this is the 3rd design, thickness adjustments and resizing the bumps to fit better. Not sure what models this may work with but it works well on the 2118 Norcold. Hope someone finds it useful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210617_083312822.jpg   IMG_20210617_083249570.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Norcold 2118 Door Card.zip (6.3 KB, 4 views)
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
This is a great idea for a thread. I hope to see more RVers taking advantage of this technology. I have done a few pieces for my 2020 Jayco Redhawk 31F. Like others, I did a version of the AC mod, including cleaning up the roof ducting and retaping everything. It helped a lot. I still have to test it out on a hot day, but the vents actually blow in the rear bedroom now. I will add pictures of some other items I printed when I get pics.
Nicely done! You’re far beyond my Fusion 360 skills, I’m still learning