Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Bigmike1461
600watt Inverter

Here are some pictures of my pure sine inverter install that I am working on.I got 4 gauge jumper cables and cut off the ends and used the cable to wire the battery's to the inverter with a 80 amp inline fuse that is in a water proof box.I cut a hole in the floor in front and back of inverter to run the wires,I ran the wires between the floor and the black plastic liner and thru the frame in front to the battery then sealed everything up with black silicone and black extra sticky duct tape.I ran an extension cord from the inverter to the tv thru the floor in the cabinet in the bedroom and cut a hole in the wall behind the heater and ran the extension cord up to the tv.my next job is to wire a relay and a switch to turn the inverter on..I am having a friend wire up this part ,the relay is so when I plug in the generator it will shut off the inverter.the white wire in the forth picture is for a remote on/off switch and the black wire is a case ground to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
2016 F350 lariat 4x4 6.2 gas 3:73
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Bigmike1461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

I installed a 1K inverter in much the same way in my 06 Keystone TT so I could run the tv / sat config when stopping overnight in the WWorld parking lot. I didn't bother with all the complicated wiring, just plugged stuff to the inverter when necessary and to the house power when I was hooked up. After 2 years I found that I had only used it a couple of times. Found that when we pulled in for the night we made a run to the store for necessary supplies, grabbed dinner at a nearby eatery, and settled in with a book or travel brocures until we hit the sack. Honestly our world changed when we broke down and bought our Honda 2000i. We are now never without power. Even in the WW parking lot, it takes less than5 minuets to connect to the generator [can even leave it on the tailgate of the TV] and we have full power to the camper. We use the Honda on our houseboat for power when we leave the dock. Get a good lock and steel cable because others will want your Honda. The jury is still out on installing by inverter in my new White Hawk. For now, we are watching TTWeight as the new rig will take us close to our weight limit. May not be much, but a lb hear and there and pretty soon you've added another 50 lbs.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

I have the Honda but where we camp on the beach they have generator hours,so after 9pm I can't use the Honda so that is where the inverter comes into play.
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

I am installed much the same with my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper. My AIMS Pure Sine Wave 600W INVERTER is mounted inside a cabinet as close as I could get it the main battery bank manual switches. The Inverter has a remote control feature so I can turn it ON-OFF with a switch on a panel inside the trailer. The off mode drain is real small to not be much of a concern. When I get back to the house I will turn off the main power to the Inverter...

I leave my home entertainment items and other emergency 120VAC items we want to have ON always running from the 600WATT Inverter. Even when we are connected to shore power or generator. This way i don't have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting to the different power receptacles. If the shore power loses power I am good to go because my emergency things are running from the Inverter all the time.

I started out with a 300Watt inverter, then went 400Watts, and finally ended up with the 600Watt model. Always kept finding more so called emergency item that we wanted to have on all the time haha...

My battery bank is 255Ah capacity and we can run all the things we want to run from the Inverter and direct connected to the battery bank and will just get down to around 12.0VDC on the batteries the next morning. This is when we run our 2KW Generator with the trailer 30AMP shore power cable connected to the generator with the RV30A-15A long adapter. With the smart mode on-board converter/charger on board we can re-charge our batteries back up to their 90% state of charge in as little as three hours so we do all of this all over again for the next day/night camping run. Works out great for us fighting all of the generator run time restrictions we run into all over every where.

Thinking about installing some solar to help out even more and maybe can skip a day or so running the generator.

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #5

Good work Bigmike. I don't need a inverter quite yet but I enjoy reading the posts about them. I know down the road when my wife retires in a year or so we will travel more and will probably do something similar so thanks for posting.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #6

Well my install is done and it works great.MY friend added a little light next to the switch so I know when the inverter is on. I did a 7 hour test with the inverter,I unplugged the shore power and turned on the inverter and the LED tv and the BlueRay DVD player and turned on a light in the bedroom with 2 LED in it and the frig was on as well for 7 hours I was checking on it and watching some movies in the 7 hr I only used 1/3 of my battery power I have two 12v deep cycle with 550 CCA ,My friend thinks I should get a good 5 days on battery power before I need to charge up,we will see I am going to the beach on the 19th for 5 days I will have my Honda with me anyway.
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #7

Mike - One trick I learned way back was when going through the walls or floors etc I would use a PVC Electrical BOX with a large hole cut through the center and mount this PVC box at the large hole I needed to come through the wall. What this does for me is to eliminate that large hole you have for the critters to use. That sure a BIG OLE HOLE you have cut for your cables to go through hehe...

The PVC Electical boxes have all different arrangement for cables going in and out and I used a 3/4-inch in/out arrangment where I could run pieces of 3/4-inch FLEXIBLE PVC CONDUIT to route to the various things. This dresses up real nice and the bigger thing is you can control the critters and crawly things from getting inside your trailer. I can fill the ends with sealent after the wires run through it if it only terminates at a place that isn't another PVC junction box

Although this probably doesnt fit your wiring scheme but this is what I did under my OFF-ROAD Trailer to allow all of my interconnect 12VDC wiring cables to go from cabinet to cabinet using the FLEX 3/4-inch conduit. Each one of those PVC junction boxes are mounted upside down under the floor with a large center hole drilled through aligned up on the same size hole that goes through the trailer floor. These are all sealed up with sealant which makes them watertight and bug proof. They are all interconnected under the floor using 3/4-inch FLEX PVC Conduit. I can lay under my trailer which does not have the underbelly membrane and remove the weathertight lids of the junction boxes and pull all kinds of 12VDC cabling all over the trailer. All very nicely protected from underbrush when back off the trails and the bigger thing is NO CRITTERs can get inside my trailer...

I suspect you will want to do something with that VERY LARGE HOLE you cut that is shown in your picture. A two foot TEXAS size rat could easily walk upright thru that hole hehe...

Just passing on some of the things I dealt with routing 12VDC Battery cables as well as multiple conductor 12VDC equipment cables around my OFF-ROAD POPUP...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mike,

Sounds like you gave the new inverter system a good shake-out test, and should be a great addition to your boondocking.

Let us know how your system stands up to camping on the beach for five days, and how often you have to charge your batteries.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Mike - One trick I learned way back was when going through the walls or floors etc I would use a PVC Electrical BOX with a large hole cut through the center and mount this PVC box at the large hole I needed to come through the wall. What this does for me is to eliminate that large hole you have for the critters to use. That sure a BIG OLE HOLE you have cut for your cables to go through hehe...

The PVC Electical boxes have all different arrangement for cables going in and out and I used a 3/4-inch in/out arrangment where I could run pieces of 3/4-inch FLEXIBLE PVC CONDUIT to route to the various things. This dresses up real nice and the bigger thing is you can control the critters and crawly things from getting inside your trailer. I can fill the ends with sealent after the wires run through it if it only terminates at a place that isn't another PVC junction box

Although this probably doesnt fit your wiring scheme but this is what I did under my OFF-ROAD Trailer to allow all of my interconnect 12VDC wiring cables to go from cabinet to cabinet using the FLEX 3/4-inch conduit. Each one of those PVC junction boxes are mounted upside down under the floor with a large center hole drilled through aligned up on the same size hole that goes through the trailer floor. These are all sealed up with sealant which makes them watertight and bug proof. They are all interconnected under the floor using 3/4-inch FLEX PVC Conduit. I can lay under my trailer which does not have the underbelly membrane and remove the weathertight lids of the junction boxes and pull all kinds of 12VDC cabling all over the trailer. All very nicely protected from underbrush when back off the trails and the bigger thing is NO CRITTERs can get inside my trailer...

I suspect you will want to do something with that VERY LARGE HOLE you cut that is shown in your picture. A two foot TEXAS size rat could easily walk upright thru that hole hehe...

Just passing on some of the things I dealt with routing 12VDC Battery cables as well as multiple conductor 12VDC equipment cables around my OFF-ROAD POPUP...

Roy Ken
. Thanks for the info my trailer has an enclosed under belly there are no opening from the outside and any hole I made was covered with very sticky duct tape,the hole in the cabinet was a factory hole that the water lines go thru as for the hole in the back of the cabinet I'll fill with a plug.
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #10

I will use the PVC and conduit on my next project .......Thanks again,happy trails
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mike,

Sounds like you gave the new inverter system a good shake-out test, and should be a great addition to your boondocking.

Let us know how your system stands up to camping on the beach for five days, and how often you have to charge your batteries.

Bob
I will,the camping test will involve more usage,water pump,lights,the maxx air roof vent and the slide out motor should be a good test.
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

Here are some picture's of the switch and light,the switch is below the radio it is a Decora wall switch and the light is next to it,all wiring,relay and junction box are behind the radio a nice neat and clean install.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg  
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.