Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #1

A/C Fan Speed

How much difference is there between high and low fan speed in noise and air flow with the Coleman A/Cs?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Site Team

I do not any means to measure it except my wife's opinion. She says it is much quieter, yet does the job. We leave it on low. Have not been in extremely hot areas yet to get more experience. On our rig, closing some of the vents on the unit make it quieter in the immediate area.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #3

I don't see enough difference in mine to justify one setting over the other. I leave it on high when it is terribly hot outside and usually on hot all the time because I forget to change it. I see no reason for the low setting.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

On mine - I literally can not tell the difference. I have a ducted system so my hi/low switch is opening and closing the quick cool doors.

I installed an aftermarket thermostat and just left the low wired capped.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #5

We can tell the difference although the high setting is not terribly loud. But however, since our trailer isn't terribly huge (length of a football field) we leave ours on low and even when it is real hot (I live in Lower AL) the low setting is more than enough to keep the trailer cool.

John

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab Z71
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
NewToMeJF26BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

I can tell quite a bit of difference in the sound of ours. If you have it on hi and open the quick cool vents it is quite loud in the main living area. So unless absolutely necessary we will leave it on lo and leave 2 of the 3 quick cool vents closed. Usually leave the one open that directs the air toward the table. I just recently did the digital thermostat mod and made sure I wired in the hi/lo switch. It has been a bit of a challenge to teach the wife that the middle off position isn't to be used. We camp out the county fair for 10 days in August. It is usually on hi w/ 2 of the 3 quick cool vents open - the 3rd hits the stove bad and makes it hard to cook.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #7

This topic has come up on several different forums at different times. I know when I initially got my camper I thought there was a problem with the AC, but quickly found out that other folks experienced the same thing. Seems like every unit has its own personality on how loud it is and the differential in air between high and low.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
This topic has come up on several different forums at different times. I know when I initially got my camper I thought there was a problem with the AC, but quickly found out that other folks experienced the same thing. Seems like every unit has its own personality on how loud it is and the differential in air between high and low.
Good point. Let me rephase the question. Since the 330RLTS is the TT I plan on getting, could just the 330RLTS owners tell me how much difference is there between high and low fan speed in noise and air flow with the Coleman A/Cs?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #9

Not a 330 owner but a 324 is close. I personally have never had my fan on low Because my single 13,500btu AC will not keep up when its hot out. My point is if you have not gotten this trailer yet I would opt for either the single 15,000btu upgrade or the 2 AC option.
Reese Dual Cam 1200# WD Hitch
jeeperx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Although I have no scientific evidence to support this, I would think an A/C unit that has ducted cold air registers would, overall, be slightly quieter than one that doesn't.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote