Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

A/C Hard Start Capacitor Installation

If you are not familiar, I wasn't until I joined JOF, you can make it easier on you gen set to start your air conditioner if you install a Hard Start Capacitor Kit on your A/C compressor. This capacitor provides a little extra voltage boost when the A/C first starts up and hopefully you can avoid an overload situation on your generator. Many in this forum also speak to using a start up method by starting first with turning on the fan, waiting a bit and then starting the A/C so as to spread out the amp draw and make it easier to avoid the overload.

This is a very inexpensive mod and requires only a screw driver to install. Why Jayco doesn't just have these installed as standard equipment is beyond me. The kit with shipping was $25 and the install time was about 20 minutes.

I know many have posted about installing A/C Hard Start Kits. I first contacted Coleman (Airxcel RV Products) and they warned me not to use the Supco kit as it sends too much voltage to the compressor and long term use will cause damage and shorten the life of your A/C unit. See link for part #, pictures and easy step by step instructions.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=459

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

I have used one for many years and the do work effectively

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

The question why Jayco (or any other manufacturer) doesn't just have many things installed as standard equipment often crosses my mind. But then I have to sit down and think about the logistics, the manpower, and the increased cost of all the doodads we install on our own.

For A/C units, Jayco buys them pre-manufactured and then they slap them onto almost completely assembled RV's. Asking Jayco to open each A/C unit and install a hard start capacitor is ridiculous. It would have to be done at the A/C manufacturing plant. The A/C manufacturer has an increase in cost and labor they would pass on to Jayco who would pass on to us. Or, we can just do it for our selves and skip all the middle men.
BunkintheRear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

So can you start the A/C from a 120V - 15amp outlet with the hard start capacitor?
BunkintheRear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkintheRear View Post
So can you start the A/C from a 120V - 15amp outlet with the hard start capacitor?
Yes, absolutely. It actually will probably prolong the life of any A/C unit to have this boost so that it doesn't have to work so hard to begin. Whether it is wit a generator or on A/C.

Cummins generator
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkintheRear View Post
Asking Jayco to open each A/C unit and install a hard start capacitor is ridiculous. It would have to be done at the A/C manufacturing plant. The A/C manufacturer has an increase in cost and labor they would pass on to Jayco who would pass on to us. Or, we can just do it for our selves and skip all the middle men.
I would agree if they had to manually install them. The reality is that Coleman would sell them to Jayco with them already installed. In fact I spend $25 and 20 minutes after the fact and I would guess that the most it would add to Jayco's cost per A/C unit may be $5-$10 if they pre-ordered them and then sold them to us for $25 above current cost. I know Coleman sell's them with the hard start pre-installed, so it is a matter of choice on the behalf of the manufacturer.

Cummins generator
Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Whomever is building the motor assembly is already installing 2 other capacitors...... You would think that would be the time to do it.....

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #8

@Big Sky: Hi, that’s true even I am using the capacitor kit with my AC compressor and I never had any issue with AC unit and no overload problem and that’s true that the A/C Hard Start kits are not a good option due to extra voltage supplied by it.
mercimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

If your AC is already equipped with a start assist device, usually a start cap and relay, you will not gain anything by installing a hard start kit. That said, the "tech" at Coleman needs to read some manuals. A hard start kit will not increase or decrease the life of a compressor. The start cap is in the circuit for less than a second and then it drops out once the compressor is running.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote