Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

A Public Shout Out

I just wanted to offer my thanks, in public, to SmokerBill and Faucet for a suggestion they made in another post on mattress upgrades. They both said they had put their memory foam mattress topper under the mattress, instead of on top of it - sort of like a box spring. I found my 3" memory foam topper to be too firm. And, because it takes a few moments to return to it's "flat state", I kept rolling back into a "hole" whenever I'd attempt to roll over or change sleeping position. So yesterday, I undressed the bed, pulled off the mattress pad and the mattress, then reversed them - put the topper on the bottom and the mattress on top. I then added a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress pad on top the mattress, and remade the bed. WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Now, the bed is firm, but not hard; gives my body nice support, with just enough "cush" to really let you snuggle in. While I haven't actually slept on it yet, laying on it for quite a while confirmed to me that it's going to give me the best night's sleep I've had in years. And while I had everything off the bed frame, I also moved the struts about 4" toward the foot of the bed - both the top & bottom brackets on both sides. Now, I can lift the bed with one hand - and it stays up . . . even when fully made! That was also a suggestion someone made on another posting, but (sorry) I don't remember who made it.

So, I just wanted to pass this tip along to everyone who finds their Denver Mattress uncomfortable. It really works! Thanks to SmokerBill & Faucet for the excellent suggestion!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

That sounds good, Brownie. We will have to try that for next weekend. Don't have the 1" piece so how do you think it will work without it?
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Too funny! I actually had the thought about putting the topper under the mattress a couple weeks ago! I'm glad to hear people have tried it and liked it! I might have to try it now...

As for the strut, does it decrease the amount it opens up? I have to bend down a lot to get in there as it is, I don't think I could afford any less of an opening...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
That sounds good, Brownie. We will have to try that for next weekend. Don't have the 1" piece so how do you think it will work without it?
Jeff
Jeff,

You can pick up a 1" corrugated foam mattress topper at Wally World for about 35 bucks. It just makes it feel more like the pillow-top mattress I have at home. Let's face it: anything is an improvement over just the plain mattress.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Too funny! I actually had the thought about putting the topper under the mattress a couple weeks ago! I'm glad to hear people have tried it and liked it! I might have to try it now...

As for the strut, does it decrease the amount it opens up? I have to bend down a lot to get in there as it is, I don't think I could afford any less of an opening...
Camper_bob,

I didn't measure the opening before/after, so can't say for sure. If Pythagoras was correct, it probably lowered the opening by an inch +/-. For me, it's worth the trade-off not to have to hold it open with my shoulder while trying to get things in or out of the storage area.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Camper_bob,

I didn't measure the opening before/after, so can't say for sure. If Pythagoras was correct, it probably lowered the opening by an inch +/-. For me, it's worth the trade-off not to have to hold it open with my shoulder while trying to get things in or out of the storage area.

Hmm, mine will stay open, but if I could get to open more, that would be ideal. Though as it is, an inch or so is nothing to worry about. Thanks!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Jeff,

You can pick up a 1" corrugated foam mattress topper at Wally World for about 35 bucks. It just makes it feel more like the pillow-top mattress I have at home. Let's face it: anything is an improvement over just the plain mattress.
Brownie- Yea, I guess moving the mattress back to the top without the extra 1" foam topper puts that hard Denver mattress right back where it started. I'll try the 1" topper. Thanks.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote