Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2022, 07:44 PM   #1

AC Multi Function Meter Install

Had a few breaker mishaps when operating my Victron MultiPlus 2 3000 W Inverter for 50 Amp panels. So decided to install a couple of the PeaceFair multi function AMP-Watt-Voltage meters (Model PZEM-022), to keep tabs on my voltage & current draw. Also handy to keep tabs on voltage and current draw off generators and even shore power. These are pretty nice meters for $15 ea. on Ebay. These units have the split ring Current Transformer to allow an easy quick install too your current wire. I installed two to monitor each side of the 50 Amp panel. Complete install took a couple hours. Wires were easy to fish from the main panel down to the breaker panel in my 19 RSTS. I ran a test against my Klein Amp meter and these are spot on. Below are some snapshots of the install.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2238.jpg   IMG_2242.jpg   IMG_2243.jpg   IMG_2240.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #2

I am working on upgrading to Victron equipment. Installing Victron Multiplus 2x120, 2 Victron DC-DC chargers, Victron MPPT, Smart shunt, Victron Cerbo with display and 3 200 AH batteries.

Did you install your multiplus. Any advice for me.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
I am working on upgrading to Victron equipment. Installing Victron Multiplus 2x120, 2 Victron DC-DC chargers, Victron MPPT, Smart shunt, Victron Cerbo with display and 3 200 AH batteries.

Did you install your multiplus. Any advice for me.
yes, i did the install for the Multiplus and the rest of my solar system. The Multiples install was pretty straight forward. The hardest part was finding a location for the beast. I have a 19 321 RSTS and elected to install in the basement storage area next to the battery cut off switch.. I enclosed the the Multiplus in a vented cabinet i put together with 1/4" fiberboard. I also installed a forward 50 Amp breaker (highly recommended) next to the low point drain valve in the basement. The shore power re-routed from the main panel reaches this location nicely. From that breaker it went in and out of the Multiples then back to the main breaker. Collectively i now have two 50 amp breakers, ingoing and outgoing. I routed all new 6 gauge wire to and from the Multiplus in flexible electerical conduit. The remaining of my solar and 6 Lithiums are in the front compartment, which i currently power with 4 205 Watt Panels installed on the roof, getting ready to add two more. You will love the Multiples 2 as it will easily power your whole 50 Amp panel off inverter or Generator. I can run one AC for about 3 hours if i choose to. The Auto transfer in the unit is very quick, When i shut down the generator to feed off inverter power you don't notice the transfer. Below are a few pictures. If you need help with anything when you get started on install, feel free to reach out.. Good luck

P.S. Battleborn sells all the Victrton stuff, they have a sale going on on the Mulipluss 2 and i head they may have a better sale for Independence Holiday..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2251.jpg   IMG_2255.jpg   IMG_2245.jpg   IMG_2246.jpg   IMG_2252.jpg  

Old 06-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the details on your install.

Was able to get a good start on my install.

Removed the 2 previously installed inverters and wiring. Removed the battery switch boards. Will rebuild them with heavy gauge wire, larger fuses, and a smart shunt.

Ordered all the new components, batteries, and wiring. The Multiplus already showed up. Was able to get it mounted and attached the 120 volt wires.

This will be my 4th of July weekend project. Need to complete by Tuesday.

Camping the following week.
Attached Thumbnails
Switch Mount.jpg   Panel Mount.jpg  
Old 07-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #5

Additional progress on the install.

Rebuilt the switch panels with heavier gauge wire and a smart shunt. Added wires to connect the inverter.

Built a new panel for the DC-DC chargers and MPPT solar converter.

Need to figure out how to power the fans when the DC-DC chargers heat up.
Attached Thumbnails
Pannels Rebuilt.jpg  
Old 07-03-2022, 10:27 PM   #6

Completed most of the install and new batteries.

Camping next week. Will finish up after the trip.

Planning on adding a Victron Cerbo to monitor the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery In.jpg   Battery Out.jpg  
Old 08-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Had a few breaker mishaps when operating my Victron MultiPlus 2 3000 W Inverter for 50 Amp panels. So decided to install a couple of the PeaceFair multi function AMP-Watt-Voltage meters (Model PZEM-022), to keep tabs on my voltage & current draw. Also handy to keep tabs on voltage and current draw off generators and even shore power. These are pretty nice meters for $15 ea. on Ebay. These units have the split ring Current Transformer to allow an easy quick install too your current wire. I installed two to monitor each side of the 50 Amp panel. Complete install took a couple hours. Wires were easy to fish from the main panel down to the breaker panel in my 19 RSTS. I ran a test against my Klein Amp meter and these are spot on. Below are some snapshots of the install.
Nice looking install.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:57 PM   #8

Last weekend, I too installed an inexpensive voltage/amp meter to monitor my current draw. I have a dual 50A service like yours, however, I just installed one meter. I put the current sensing ferrite onto the neutral (white) to monitor current from both hot legs. My desire is to know my RV's overall current draw if I happen to be on a 30A or 20A breaker. That way we can ration what appliances we use inside without popping the service breaker.

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:10 AM   #9

I missed this post back when it was originally posted - Very nice work and it looks clean and neat as if it were factory installed.

Well no, it actually looks much better than if factory installed!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
Last weekend, I too installed an inexpensive voltage/amp meter to monitor my current draw. I have a dual 50A service like yours, however, I just installed one meter. I put the current sensing ferrite onto the neutral (white) to monitor current from both hot legs. My desire is to know my RV's overall current draw if I happen to be on a 30A or 20A breaker. That way we can ration what appliances we use inside without popping the service breaker.
I thought of doing that for simplicity but after experiencing voltage issues on 50amp rv park connections I opted to monitor both sides. Right off the bat, I can check the voltage on both sides.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I thought of doing that for simplicity but after experiencing voltage issues on 50amp rv park connections I opted to monitor both sides. Right off the bat, I can check the voltage on both sides.
I have a hardwired EMS near the shore power connector. It gives current draw on each leg. The AC meter is by my breaker panel inside so I can easily monitor overall power consumption. It is important to see the overall consumption if we have to connect to a 20 or 30A service

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote