Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Added a dimmer switch

Added this dimmer to the awning light strip. When I'm sitting out at night, it's just too bright. Orange light under the steps is on the same switch and I put it on the dimmer as well. Don't have any progress pics but it's very easy. Just moved the wires from one switch to the dimmer and mounted to the wall. Switch used (I think it's overpriced but wanted it): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1782.jpg  
Old 10-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #2

I bought that same dimmer, haven't put it in yet, did you just put it inline with the wires for the outdoor light?

Anyone used it for the interior lights, I really would like to dim those???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post
Added this dimmer to the awning light strip. When I'm sitting out at night, it's just too bright. Orange light under the steps is on the same switch and I put it on the dimmer as well. Don't have any progress pics but it's very easy. Just moved the wires from one switch to the dimmer and mounted to the wall. Switch used (I think it's overpriced but wanted it): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mrSethTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

These are mine to install for cargo areas. The DW needs to pick the color of LED strips. I have one on the awning now. Easy Peasy to install.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012YT93S4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrSethTaylor View Post
I bought that same dimmer, haven't put it in yet, did you just put it inline with the wires for the outdoor light?

Anyone used it for the interior lights, I really would like to dim those???
Sorry, don't get online during the weekends much. Yes, I just wired it in place of the switch inside. I have a blank switch now, but I'll find something to do with it. I put it on the indoor lights just to see and I loved it but the wife didn't think she needed the indoor ones to dim. I'll still probably put one on them.

Used it this weekend and it was fantastic to be able to dim those bright lights outside. I could sit with just a smidge of light, just what I wanted.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Quick warning about these switches, there are two lengths available. I originally ordered the short ones and it looked like an exact fit, once trying to install them though I can't get the threads to bite, at least not enough to tighten - its too exact. I'm ordering the long shaft thats .2 longer (same price, company, everything). I will post an update and pics once I they arrive and I install them.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

I noticed that when I ordered them, I almost ordered the short one and it would not have worked, I still had to put pressure on the long one to get it to bite. I should have mentioned that.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Finished the project last night, the long stems worked perfect. As an addition, seems the newer pwm switches i ordered didn't have the same trouble with flickering on high, they must have changed something. The new ones work flawlessly.
Attached Thumbnails
20191016_203954[1].jpg   20191016_204011[1].jpg   20191016_204019[1].jpg   20191016_204003[1].jpg  
Old 10-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #8

Nice!! I haven't seen any flickering on mine.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #9

How do you start?

This is awesome, and I would like to do this. But is there any trick to get to the wiring in the first place? Do you just remove the switch plate?
And you said you now have a “blank switch”. Do you mean that the original toggle switches no longer do anything?

Bought our first Travel Trailer at age 51. Shouldn't have waited so long!
Jose&Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

I just installed one of the long shaft dimmers for a small LED light I added under our steps.

Since I ran all of the wiring for the light I was able to use the 3-wire install and have no flickering at all.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #11

Yes, I just pulled the switch out, had blade connectors so I never even cut the wires, just added blade connectors to my dimmers and put it all back together. On mine the awning and interior light were connected to single switch with 2 switches, power was common to both so I ran from the output of the original switch to the input of the dimmer and output of the dimmer to the original output from the switch (I placed my dimmers in series with the original switch). Since the dimmers have an off position I could have bypassed them but I thought that wouldn't hold family acceptance factor so I left the originals working as they always did.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #12

01tundra, is that a custom panel?
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrSethTaylor View Post
Yes, I just pulled the switch out, had blade connectors so I never even cut the wires, just added blade connectors to my dimmers and put it all back together. On mine the awning and interior light were connected to single switch with 2 switches, power was common to both so I ran from the output of the original switch to the input of the dimmer and output of the dimmer to the original output from the switch (I placed my dimmers in series with the original switch). Since the dimmers have an off position I could have bypassed them but I thought that wouldn't hold family acceptance factor so I left the originals working as they always did.
I would like to leave the yellow step light on when we are away. I am planning on leaving the yellow light on the switch and just move the LED wires to the dimmer. Anything that would make that a challenge?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I would like to leave the yellow step light on when we are away. I am planning on leaving the yellow light on the switch and just move the LED wires to the dimmer. Anything that would make that a challenge?
I'm not sure how the step light is wired in, you might have to re run the wires
Old 12-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post
01tundra, is that a custom panel?
No, it's factory Rockwood.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #16

I installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I turn on the switch inside the trailer on the panel, The awning LED's and the step light go on. I can control the LED brightness with the remote while I am sitting outside. If I hit the off button on the remote, The awning LED's go off while the step light stays lit.

Easy to install. Just make sure the wires to the pin end (male end) are the wires connecting to the LED's. The Female end wires go to the power wires !
Reason I wrote in and out is so, once I cut the pins off and took the insulation off the wires, I knew which end was which.

I had to cut off the pins and solder the wires. Then use shrink tubing and liquid electrical tape.
Attached Thumbnails
New Controller.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I turn on the switch inside the trailer on the panel, The awning LED's and the step light go on. I can control the LED brightness with the remote while I am sitting outside. If I hit the off button on the remote, The awning LED's go off while the step light stays lit.

Easy to install. Just make sure the wires to the pin end (male end) are the wires connecting to the LED's. The Female end wires go to the power wires !
Reason I wrote in and out is so, once I cut the pins off and took the insulation off the wires, I knew which end was which.

I had to cut off the pins and solder the wires. Then use shrink tubing and liquid electrical tape.
Mine arrives Tuesday. Thank you!