Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Added a linen closet Seneca 37TS

Anyone with a newer Seneca 37TS knows there is only one cabinet (over the toilet) in the toilet/shower room. Certainly not much room to store towels when you are travelling with more than 2 campers. So I looked at the available space and decided to install a 9"wide by 30" tall custom kitchen cabinet between the shower and the hall wall in what is otherwise completely wasted space IMHO.

I had to slightly "scallop" part of the cabinet rear edge where the cabinet lies beside the shower surround, but it is completely hidden when installed. To install I also had to remove the Jayco-installed corner bead and top wall trim where the cabinet ended up being mounted. Both easily cut with sharp razor knife and then used pliers to pull the brads holding it on.

Hardest part was getting a close color match, and my only regret is that I did not use a 42" tall cabinet to hold even more.

Just one of my many mods to my 37TS, but one the DW says she will appreciate the most!
Attached Thumbnails
Added linen closet toilet-shower area.jpg  
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

Good job!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

The "regret" factor won out! I replaced the 36" tall cabinet (standard 12" deep) with a new one that is 42" tall and 15" deep. It fits just fine and in no way impedes access to the shower. We now can store all the bath linens we carry in the new cabinet and they are in the bathroom!

If anyone from Jayco monitors these forums, please take note that many of us want to have these necessities right at hand, not somewhere outside of the bathroom itself!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Very nice!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
The "regret" factor won out! I replaced the 36" tall cabinet (standard 12" deep) with a new one that is 42" tall and 15" deep. It fits just fine and in no way impedes access to the shower. We now can store all the bath linens we carry in the new cabinet and they are in the bathroom!

If anyone from Jayco monitors these forums, please take note that many of us want to have these necessities right at hand, not somewhere outside of the bathroom itself!
Nice mod. You said - " We now can store all the bath linens we carry in the new cabinet and they are in the bathroom!"

We've noticed lack of storage on all the Seneca models. That is the reason of thinking the need of the bunk beds, just for extra storage. One thing we have had to do on every new RV is add towel racks. Do the "interior designers" really think we all use paper towels? And, if so, then what happened to the paper towel rack in the bathroom?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Robbbyr,

Are these unfinished cabinets, that you are finishing to match your Seneca?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

Nice cabinets! What would be wrong with going all the way to the floor with the cabinet? How did you attach the cabinet to the wall? When the Grandkids are not with us, that is what we use our bunks for is storage!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #8

In response to the previous posts:

I was able to find a relatively close match in Home Depot's online collection of "custom" cabinets. Its finish was a little lighter than the Seneca cabinets, so some satin Minwax Polyshades sprayed on made it real close. Topped it with a couple coats of satin clear polyurethane to make sure it would survive right next to the shower.

As far as height, I first installed a 30" tall but quickly decided we needed more space. So the next was the 42" tall but also was custom ordered 15" deep compared to the standard 12. Bath towels lay better and don't try to push the door open. I could not do a full height cabinet since the heat register is in the floor below the cabinet and would have partially blocked it. Underneath the linen cabinet i have a wire free-standing rack to hold extra rolls of TP and my latest copy of Motorhome magazine since I am a "Bathroom reader"!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #9

Working from my phone, forgot to address attachment.

First off, it is a snug fit requiring trimming of the factory-installed finished end panel to clear the edge of the shower. Some trial-and-error, but eventually got it perfect. I then placed 5 screws in the left rear inside corner of the cabinet hitting a Jayco wall stud I previously located by careful tapping. The screws penetrate the wall about 1 1/2".

After installation I caulked the seams next to the shower where the cabinet met the wall and shower fiberglass to keep any spray from getting in behind it. I also took that opportunity to caulk the whole shower's top edge since it seemed Jayco had not done that too well.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #10

Nice job
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
Site Team

Nice job. I have that space in my fifth wheel that is unused. Glad I read the MH threads.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

yep.. cant agree more! - the reason we chose the FK
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote