Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

Smile Added aux 20Amp input

Just completed a project that will allow me to bring an additional 20amp feed into my TT. Pretty simple and total cost about $30, also had to buy a 1 7/8 hole saw bit but otherwise parts needed were a thru the outer wall power input device that I purchased on Amazon and a standard electric outlet box. I installed the thru the wall device next to the TT pigtail access port and fed the cable [about 14"] into the void under the Jensen radio cabinet where the power cord is stowed when it is shoved back thru the port. I installed the dedicated outlet in a panel [5" x 18"] at the base of the cabinet near the floor. I replaced the thin panel with a 1/2" piece of oak cut to the same size so that I had something more substantial to mount the outlet box. Connected the cable from the input port to the outlet and then reinstalled the new panel. No fishing involved because all I had to do was reach into the void and grab the cable. I did purchase a hospital grade "orange" outlet so that it stands out from the other outlets in the TT since it will only work when a separate extension cord is used to access one of the 20A outlets on the CG power post.

Very easy project that I was motivate to do so that I will have more flexibility when running 110V space heaters on cold weather outings.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Any pics or links of what parts you used?

Sounds like a nice mod!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

We use the Campground 20A Service all the time for our electric heaters and other high wattage items in our off-road POPUP camper... Since we don't have hard walls we just run an extension into the trailer through a window flap.

Just be cautious about combining the two services and keep them physically separated...

Depending how the campground pedestal may have been wired there is a possibility you may find 240VAC from the HOT wire on the 20A side and the HOT wire on the 30A side...

This would be a rare thing just passing along for safety reasons...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

The part I ordered for the thru the wall port is a common rv and marine electrical item. Forget what they call them, but they are used on bassboats etc to plug in onboard charging systems to shorepower. Order mine thru Amazon. No pics as once its done it looks just like anyother outlet in the salon. That's why I stepped up to the orange color outlet.

No concern about any crossover of the power or what ever from the CG ped post. The regular 30amp plug / input and the new 20mp input are totally separate. I did not connect it in any fashion to the OEM 30amp power system. Works no differently fhan running a similar extenstion from the power post over to a picnic tent for the coffee maker. In this case the extension just plugs into the input port I added to the side of the TT. To be clear it is totally separated from the standard on-board TT power grid. If I were to over power the outlet it would trip the 20amp breaker on the external post not a breaker in the TT control converter.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #5

Bassdogs, is this something like what you did? The inlet is from Marinco. I did this awhile back. Have since changed the plug out to look like the factory one and labeled it "aux power, 15 amp max". Used 14 ga Romex. Had to order the 1&7/8 holesaw as well. I did the detachable powercord mod at the same time.Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	20991

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	20992

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	20993

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	20994
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #6

This is an excellent idea I will have to move this mod to project number one.

I found a marinco outlet on Amazon I think will work perfectly.

I am going to put this in my slide out under the table.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
I am going to put this in my slide out under the table.
Be careful because the wall in the slide out is only 2" thick max. You won't have enough room to wire the inlet to the outlet. I went through the rear, then through the table that divides my 2 rockers. You might want to see if you can go through a low cabinet or something. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

The only other safety concern I see is the 15/20AMP Shore Power extension cable should have a MALE 15/20A Plug on the pedestal side and a FEMALE 15/20A RECEPTACLE PLUG on the trailer side. i.e. NO HOT CONNECTIONS PRONGS accessible when plugged into the campground pedestal socket.

The OUTSIDE Trailer Receptacle with the lid etc will have a MALE PLUG that the 20AMP Shore Power cable will plug into like shown in TCNASHVILLEs photos...

Just a side note: Some camp grounds may not like for you to run two shore power connections from their pedestal to the trailer at the same time. I have been asked to remove my second Shore Power Cable a couple of times over the years... Their pedestal - Their reasons haha...

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 11-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Be careful because the wall in the slide out is only 2" thick max. You won't have enough room to wire the inlet to the outlet. I went through the rear, then through the table that divides my 2 rockers. You might want to see if you can go through a low cabinet or something. Hope this helps.
Hmmm thanks for the info. Maybe I will go into slide out under the storage area then make a box for the connections?
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Bassdogs, is this something like what you did? The inlet is from Marinco. I did this awhile back. Have since changed the plug out to look like the factory one and labeled it "aux power, 15 amp max". Used 14 ga Romex. Had to order the 1&7/8 holesaw as well. I did the detachable powercord mod at the same time.Attachment 20991

Attachment 20992

Attachment 20993

Attachment 20994
YUP! Same part. Very easy to install and also ordered the 1 7/8" hole saw.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
The only other safety concern I see is the 15/20AMP Shore Power extension cable should have a MALE 15/20A Plug on the pedestal side and a FEMALE 15/20A RECEPTACLE PLUG on the trailer side. i.e. NO HOT CONNECTIONS PRONGS accessible when plugged into the campground pedestal socket.

The OUTSIDE Trailer Receptacle with the lid etc will have a MALE PLUG that the 20AMP Shore Power cable will plug into like shown in TCNASHVILLEs photos...

Just a side note: Some camp grounds may not like for you to run two shore power connections from their pedestal to the trailer at the same time. I have been asked to remove my second Shore Power Cable a couple of times over the years... Their pedestal - Their reasons haha...

Roy Ken
The extension that you use with this setup is a HD exterior power cord. Nothing special just HD. Female on one end and male on the other.

Have to say I have never had an issue raised by CG hosts etc about connecting a 2nd power supply to my site. Many Many campers routinely run a separate [from the 20a outlet on the post] supply cord to a picnic or patio area. For the most part, short of shooting skeet out the back of your site, you're pretty much good to go unless a neighbor drops a dime on you.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
Site Team

The good thing about it is the functionality of it.

If for some reason there is no 15a feed or you are not allowed to use it, you can go back to the normal routine.

When I had a 30a rig, I had rewired the water heater ac input to a plug and mounted two outlet boxes, one from the camper panel and one from the power pedestal as you have described.

I would routinely feed the water heater off of it when it was available, simply by moving the cord that fed it from the internal feed to the aux. supply.

Cautions:
1. Cutting that hole in the rig needs to be thought out very well before drilling. I used an electronic stud finder to locate the place to drill, then a small pilot hole to make sure.
2. Be careful when drilling in a slide-out. Think out how it will be when closed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #13

BASSDOGS - I have always used the 20AMP service for everything outside and never had a problem with that but I guess seeing two shore power cables running into the camper may have been the reasoning... who knows... I just do as they say and then never go back there haha...

Most of our camping is OFF-ROAD without hookup like up on SKYLINE Drive and up and down the Blue Ridge parkway. Have ventured down in the high country of NC-GA-ALA on a few trips. Love the camp spots inside the Smoky Mtns around the Gatlinburg area as well... My camper looks good setting in ELKMONT...

Haven't been to any KY camp sites except we did camp one time at the Land between the Lakes once heading for the homeland in Southern Ill...

We live off the batteries when camping off-road and then re-charge them at 8AM the next morning with the shore power cable plugged into our 2KW Generator when allowed to run it.

Roy ken

Old 11-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

If you really wanted to "steal" extra power, you would plug your 30amp pigtail to the 50amp outlet using a 50 to 30 dogbone. Then run a 30amp extension plugged into the 30amp outlet connected to a 2nd 30amp input [instead of my 20 amp mod] and why stop there, you could still route the 20 amp outlet to the picnic area.

Truth is my mod was upping my service potential to the same 50 amp that many larger 5ers and Motorhomes require. In the end the only time I'll use it is on cold weather trips when that extra space heater comes in handy. Its there if I need it and otherwise I won't bother to hook it up. It is a trick that many rvers use when they Gerry rig their unit to get extra power. My mod just does it in a clean, neat, and professional manner.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
In the end the only time I'll use it is on cold weather trips when that extra space heater comes in handy. My mod just does it in a clean, neat, and professional manner.
Exactly why I did the mod as well. Running an extra 1500w ceramic heater [without going through the converter] in a 34ft trailer is nice on those cold mornings.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
If you really wanted to "steal" extra power, you would plug your 30amp pigtail to the 50amp outlet using a 50 to 30 dogbone. Then run a 30amp extension plugged into the 30amp outlet connected to a 2nd 30amp input [instead of my 20 amp mod] and why stop there, you could still route the 20 amp outlet to the picnic area.

Truth is my mod was upping my service potential to the same 50 amp that many larger 5ers and Motorhomes require. In the end the only time I'll use it is on cold weather trips when that extra space heater comes in handy. Its there if I need it and otherwise I won't bother to hook it up. It is a trick that many rvers use when they Gerry rig their unit to get extra power. My mod just does it in a clean, neat, and professional manner.
Actually you will have 50 amps at 120 volts. When using a 50 amp service in a larger unit you have two 50 amp 120 volt lines or, 100 amps at 120 available. But unless your running two A/C you should never need that much power. I have wired similar hook ups on several utility trailers used for mobile work areas, works well and is very clean looking. Nice Mod.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote