Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2023, 07:38 PM   #1

Added Fumoto Valve

This post is for those DIYers who change their own oil. I installed a Fumoto valve to aid in this task which is made tougher (mess-wise) because the oil plug is nearly directly over the front axle on many coaches built on the F-53 chassis. Using a method I had heard of years ago and viewed recently on youtube, I was able to complete the task in about 1-1/2 hours (I am 91….. you likely move much faster than I ) and did not spill one drop of oil. You may have to click on the pics once or twice to enlarge enuff to read the annotations.

I used my shop vac which is rated at 4HP and has a pretty large (2+ inches in dia) hose which I duct taped to the engine oil filler tube. The hose was a sloppy fit and I layered 10” pieces of duct tape around the opening to seal it well enough for the task. I raised the rig fairly high with the leveling jacks (gotta luv ‘em) and then lowered the coach onto my 6-ton jack stands. BTW- for those who don’t know it ….. the labeling on jack stands is nuts (almost criminal IMHO) as the rating is for both jack stands; i.e., 3T jack stands are good for 1-1/2 tons each.

When I removed the Ford oil filler plug (18mm) I could hear lots of inrushing air and gurgling of oil but not one drop came out and I leisurely installed the Fumoto valve then shut off the shop vac and disconnected it from the oil filler tube.

I got the valve from Amazon. They are almost secretive about any fitment info, but this one fit mine. I believe some earlier V-10s had a recess in the pan and there is a valve with a longer nipple for those.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D995XRF...roduct_details

Hope this helps someone. Good times and safe travels all.
Attached Thumbnails
Fum 1.jpg   Fum 2.jpg   Fum 3.jpg   Fum 4.jpg   Fum 5.jpg  

Fum 6.jpg  
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:59 PM   #2

That is a dang creative way to use a shop vac! I'm impressed. Did any oil contaminate the shop vac filter?

I thought about installing a fumoto valve, but my drain plug has easy access, and I don't have a problem relaxing under my truck while I remove the drain plug and wait for the oil to drain out. I'm "only" 65, but I notice myself slowing down doing certain things at times.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:04 PM   #3

No, nothing in the shop vac or even the hose, Bill. It's just a neat trick that someone thought of. Now......if they could just think of a way to drop the filter without the usual mess, right?

Best. Ed S. in Denver
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:43 PM   #4

I would leave that vinyl hose attached to the opening of the valve and raise the hose up above the oil pan. I've heard stories of those valves coming open during travel and drained all the oil out. By leaving the hose attached and if for some reason the valve opens, the oil would travel up until it is leveled with the oil level in the pan...thus preventing it from draining your oil pan completely.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:19 AM   #5

Great write up and much respect sir for doing this all at 91.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I would leave that vinyl hose attached to the opening of the valve and raise the hose up above the oil pan. I've heard stories of those valves coming open during travel and drained all the oil out. By leaving the hose attached and if for some reason the valve opens, the oil would travel up until it is leveled with the oil level in the pan...thus preventing it from draining your oil pan completely.
NOT possible.....they are spring loaded!
You have to push up the tang out of its detent. I would think even if spring broke the tang would stay in its detent.

Full disclosure, I've had one for over 250,000 miles and its been flawless.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #7

I haven't seen any horror stories either. You have to push the lever up or down then rotate it for it to open. Would be one heck of a trick for grvaity to do this.
I also have around 200k miles without issue on mine.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:54 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post

Someone would have to fail to close the valve to have it drain the oil. Pilot error?
If you ever had one or used one, and I have them in three different vehicles, the valve locks closed and is held in that position by a retaining clip. It won't open on it;s own.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote