Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Adding a locked Landing Gear Power Door

I picked up a slightly used 2017 28.5 RSTS this spring. Came to find out that when the kill switch in the garage is turned to OFF that all the power to the rig isnt completely off. What especially bothered me was the ability for someone to mess with the front powered legs. Since I store/park my unit in a Campground its ready to be used on a moments notice for family and friends.

Well in another part of the Park my other friend has a Travel trailer. There were some kids playing in his yard last month and when he got home they had run his trailer all the way to the top stop limit on his Jack. This concerns me because my Stabilizers are extended for stability and if they would come by and run mine all the way up I have no doubt there would be damage.

So last month my other bud and I went camping with our wives for a long weekend. He has a 2014 26.5 RLS. He was parked right next to us and I had a great view of that side of his rig. I asked him what a small locked door up front was for. He said its his front leg/landing gear switch. His switch is also powered to OFF when his trailer kill switch is OFF.

So to me it seems Jayco has gone backwards. Why power that switch when the kill switch is OFF? Also why do away with the security door if you are going to keep it powered all the time? Just asking for major problems!

So I started doing some research and found for under $20 a keyed door. I used a hole saw and a jig saw and cut out the area where the old switch was and mounted it inside the locking panel. Only mistake I made is I centered the switch when I cut its hole out and later found out the other locking side of the key interfered with the door being able to close all the way. So I had to elongate the rectangular hole and remount the switch lower.

I also spray painted the white door the same color as the trailer. If you do this mod you will also have to cut through the back to allow the switch room since theres only like 2" clearance inside the cabinet and the switch is also about 2" long. This lets the back of the switch slightly stick into my LP area and theres 4" clearance to the first LP tank. I then used black Gorilla tape to cover the back of the switch up so nothing can touch it.

Here's a few pics for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
s1b.jpg   s1a.jpg  
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #2

I just went outside and checked our 2018 28.5 RSTS. When the battery disconnect switch is in the off position our landing gear switch does not operate. It doesn’t matter if we are on shore power or hooked to the tow vehicle, if the switch is not on we can’t operate any 12 volt system. I’m puzzled why yours would operate differently.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

They may have corrected it for 2018 but my unit its always on which is a problem for me. I called and talked to Jayco. They said theres various things that are on even with the main shut off. Including the controllers for the slides so they dont loose there limits.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote