Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Adding a new window?

We just bought a 2007 X213. One of our kids will be sleeping on the top bunk, and I'd like to make it a bit nicer, to be closer to "equivalent" to the lower bunk, which our other kid will be in.

My husband is pretty handy, so I'm sure we'll be able to install some sort of hanging shelf, so they both have shelf space. But I imagine our daughter will be jealous that her sister has a window!

Has anybody ever installed a new window, where there didn't used to be one? Am I crazy for even thinking about it?

Thanks,
Ally
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #2

We would be very cautious about making such a change to an existing home on wheels.
It's probably fairly typical of RV engineers to have already placed the maximum allowable view points within a design and remain within safety limits.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 AM   #3

Well I must say that I disagree somewhat regarding what the RV " engineers " have already placed the maximum allowable view points within a design and remain within safety limits.

You should call Jayco and ask for a copy of the framing exterior wall drawings of your unit and this will tell you if you have an open space in that area for your extra window. Several owners have already installed extra windows in various locations in their travel trailers. Different models have different price points that might enclude 2 bunk windows instead of one just like my slide out has 4 windows but a lower priced unit will have just 2.
Go for it if there's no framing member in the way, a window is an easy addition in that location.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #4

Sometimes it comes down to cost savings. My Whitehawk didn't have windows in the sidewalls of the slideout, only on the main wall of the slideout.

I see lots of trailers with Windows in the small side of the slideout including the newest Whitehawk trailers.

I feel they were just trying to save a few dollars on mine.

I'd really like to add a couple of windows to my slideout walls.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

Thanks, folks.

I think I'll get the drawings, as suggested, and also ask Jayco the same question.

I wonder if our local dealer has ever done this...maybe I'll ask them too!

Ally
Old 01-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

If you decide to install a window, you might consider installing an emergency exit window. I agree with some of the replies that installing a window, for a capable "handy" person, will not be a big deal.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

I received the plans from Jayco and might add 2 more bunk windows and a bathroom window. My question is, all of the current windows have reinforcement over them to attach shades. Is there an alternative to add some sort of shade w/o that? I don't imagine luan and foam would hold for long, nor would sticky tape.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #8

Once you cut your hole for the window, place some blocking inside the wall cavity along the top of the opening. Yo will need to do that around the perimeter of your openings before installing the windows anyway.
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #9

Good idea, so remove some of the sandwiched foam and replace with a wood backer and glue it in place.

Do the windows really require that around the perimeter? I assumed as the window will "sandwich" the wall with one side screwing into the other, additional reinforcement wasn't necessary.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #10

a Few years back, someone posted a great post showing how they added a window to the rear wall of their TT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
Good idea, so remove some of the sandwiched foam and replace with a wood backer and glue it in place.

Do the windows really require that around the perimeter? I assumed as the window will "sandwich" the wall with one side screwing into the other, additional reinforcement wasn't necessary.

If you are installing "Clamp ring" style windows they do sandwich the interior and exterior wall but you need something to keep those two walls from closing together. You also need firm support on the exterior wall so the seal will hold well.

I am saying that because we have changed several windows here at work over the years and there is always wood between the walls completely around the perimeter. Even a radiused piece in each corner.

Personally I would do this even if I wasn't concerned with mounting a curtain.
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

I would think the inner and outer window frames would butt against each other and keep the wall surfaces from closing together. Jayco doesn't frame around their windows according to the prints, just a piece over the top for the blinds, etc. I agree it wouldn't hurt to add though.

I think I've seen that video, one of the members here added a back window and a skylight. Will have to watch it again. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #13

I found the video...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...dow-51513.html
Old 06-19-2023, 03:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFryer View Post
I received the plans from Jayco and might add 2 more bunk windows and a bathroom window. My question is, all of the current windows have reinforcement over them to attach shades. Is there an alternative to add some sort of shade w/o that? I don't imagine luan and foam would hold for long, nor would sticky tape.
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but what did you have to do to get the plans? I'd love to lower the top bunk on my 2018 X213. It looks like I can gain 3-4" of headroom on top without affecting the door or the folding up of the bottom bunk. But obviously safety is important, so not knowing what's behind the walls is keeping me from going ahead with it.
Graveyard Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Shift View Post
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but what did you have to do to get the plans? I'd love to lower the top bunk on my 2018 X213. It looks like I can gain 3-4" of headroom on top without affecting the door or the folding up of the bottom bunk. But obviously safety is important, so not knowing what's behind the walls is keeping me from going ahead with it.
Welcome Aboard.

If you are going to make any significate changes, I would recommend reaching out to Jayco and ask for the wall structural schematics. You will need to provide your vin number. Pending on how old your HTT is, they may or may not have them. I forgot how long they are keeping them for now, but I think it is something like 7 years.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:32 PM   #16

Here's a sample print. They usually only have a backer where necessary.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf x24k Driver Side wall.pdf (275.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-24-2023, 10:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Shift View Post
I want to lower our top bunk, too. Still haven't put in the window, sadly, but it's not been removed from the "to do" list so there's still hope.

Jayco had/has a "contact us" form on their website. I asked for the framing, electrical, and plumbing drawings and provided the VIN. The arrived by email about a week later.

Hoping that helps!
Ally