Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Adding a new window?

We just bought a 2007 X213. One of our kids will be sleeping on the top bunk, and I'd like to make it a bit nicer, to be closer to "equivalent" to the lower bunk, which our other kid will be in.

My husband is pretty handy, so I'm sure we'll be able to install some sort of hanging shelf, so they both have shelf space. But I imagine our daughter will be jealous that her sister has a window!

Has anybody ever installed a new window, where there didn't used to be one? Am I crazy for even thinking about it?

Thanks,
Ally

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #2

We would be very cautious about making such a change to an existing home on wheels.
It's probably fairly typical of RV engineers to have already placed the maximum allowable view points within a design and remain within safety limits.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 AM   #3

Well I must say that I disagree somewhat regarding what the RV " engineers " have already placed the maximum allowable view points within a design and remain within safety limits.

You should call Jayco and ask for a copy of the framing exterior wall drawings of your unit and this will tell you if you have an open space in that area for your extra window. Several owners have already installed extra windows in various locations in their travel trailers. Different models have different price points that might enclude 2 bunk windows instead of one just like my slide out has 4 windows but a lower priced unit will have just 2.
Go for it if there's no framing member in the way, a window is an easy addition in that location.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #4

Sometimes it comes down to cost savings. My Whitehawk didn't have windows in the sidewalls of the slideout, only on the main wall of the slideout.

I see lots of trailers with Windows in the small side of the slideout including the newest Whitehawk trailers.

I feel they were just trying to save a few dollars on mine.

I'd really like to add a couple of windows to my slideout walls.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

Thanks, folks.

I think I'll get the drawings, as suggested, and also ask Jayco the same question.

I wonder if our local dealer has ever done this...maybe I'll ask them too!

Ally
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

If you decide to install a window, you might consider installing an emergency exit window. I agree with some of the replies that installing a window, for a capable "handy" person, will not be a big deal.

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote