Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #21

LOL- well good thing it's not your system. The fluke is the best I have so that's going to be where I set the bar. I'm not going to have triple redundancy on a bank of 4 gulf cart batteries.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #22

I would absolutely agree on going with the Fluke. I wasn't saying that the Fluke was a bad choice to use for the standard as I know they're a very good, accurate, reliable product.
You'll find the same differences in readings when using pressure gauges. You could drive yourself nuts trying to figure out which gauge is right. Unless one of them is wildly inaccurate, pick one and go with it. These calibration tolerances are taken into account in the initial design of the products you're measuring.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #23

I wasn't trying to flame you. I was trying to basically say the same thing you just did. Electricity is like a living being in that it's hard to measure, and I'm not going to let it rule my vacation. All I care about is the battery voltage so that it doesn't get below 12.0. That's it-- if it does I need to start the generator or shut things down til the sun comes up.

I have a large solar system at home, and a bank large enough to get us completely off the electrical grid. When I first installed it, I went nuts monitoring everything. I'm over it now. I check the water levels once every two weeks, and the amps and wattage I took in for the day. It works, there's no need to freak out-- it's not a nuclear reactor.

Regards,
JP
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #24

Not to worry, I didn't take it as a flame. Your initial post questioned the .2VDC difference and I was trying to resolve the difference in my own head also. It's pretty easy to tell that you have a solid grip on electrical theory.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #25

I have been looking into solar to add. you are reading the loss due to resistance from the battery to the controller lost in the wires back and forth. I have been looking for a solar charger that has separate voltage sense connections so as it would be accurate but they don't make one that I found.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
I have been looking for a solar charger that has separate voltage sense connections so as it would be accurate but they don't make one that I found.
Unless you have a very long distance of cable between your SOLAR controller and battery you will see no difference in voltage on your meters or at the batteries. A voltage drop occurs when there is a load on the circuit and if wired properly, there is no load on the cables between the SOLAR charge controller and the batteries.

If you happen to purchase a Digital Voltage Display, that also needs to be run directly to the batteries. If they are hooked up the TT's 12Volt charge controller (or any other 12Volt source), that will give you different readings as there are loads on that feed.

You also want a SOLAR charge controller that has battery temperature sensor as the temperature of the battery plays an important part of proper deep cycle battery charging.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #28

Lol a classic

Regards,
JP