Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Lots of great ideas......thanks everyone !

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Custom building just like you're talking, use a stud finder to locate the framework, before you set your screws, run a bead of construction adhesive on the back, the screws will set it till the glue dries, and it'll pull your wall down before it fails
Stud finder? We're dealing with wimps not studs here.

A dab of construction adhesive on the tip of the screw will also help hold things.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #13

Hope this is the right form/thread for this. I need to mount a board with five coat hooks on it to an exterior wall. (Board is 24” x 2 1/2” x 3/4”) I have had it secured to the wall with two strips of 1-inch-wide double sided Velcro. It has stayed for almost three years but now it is pulling away from the wall and pulling a wallpaper seam with it.
I would like to secure it with screws and still use the Velcro but I am not sure what to use on the outside wall? What the thickness is? And how would a “molly bolt” work in a foam filled wall?
Would a stud-finder work on the Trailer studs??
We are open to ideas.
Rhonda & Matt send……….
RowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
That looks just like what I installed on our bedroom slider doors, including the bunkroom slider door.

Over the bathroom door we hung a 3 hook rack from Meijer (or Walmart- can't remember) as mentioned above, no pics though of it.
So these are just screwed in with a little wood glue and nothing else? I'd like to add some a little lower so the kids can reach them.
MAJPLO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
So these are just screwed in with a little wood glue and nothing else? I'd like to add some a little lower so the kids can reach them.
We installed similar hooks near the top of the bathroom wall opposite the shower in our 195RB. As the wall is thin and I didn't want the screws to come through the other side into the closet I did get shorter screws. Didn't know about the tip to put a dab of glue on for extra strength but I can see how that could be helpful. So far no issues. I think they'd be fine lower on the wall as well.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC11256.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Sorry no pics. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood underlayment about 6" x 24" wide. It actually has a nice grain to it. Stained and varnished it almost matches the woodwork in the trailer. Ours is a 195RB. I mounted 4 brass coathooks, evenly spaced across the board. Used fladhead brass bolts with decorative nuts, with the heads countersunk in the back.

Mounted to the wall with 3 short toggle bolts. Its very secure. I made a second unit and mounted it on the other side of the wayy, in the closet. Perfect place to hang hats.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowMatt View Post
Hope this is the right form/thread for this. I need to mount a board with five coat hooks on it to an exterior wall. (Board is 24” x 2 1/2” x 3/4”) I have had it secured to the wall with two strips of 1-inch-wide double sided Velcro. It has stayed for almost three years but now it is pulling away from the wall and pulling a wallpaper seam with it.
I would like to secure it with screws and still use the Velcro but I am not sure what to use on the outside wall? What the thickness is? And how would a “molly bolt” work in a foam filled wall?
Would a stud-finder work on the Trailer studs??
We are open to ideas.
Rhonda & Matt send……….
The walls are too thin and the wood is not stout enough for a molly. It will crush the wood, reducing the holding power.

Use a toggle bolt.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
Actually I just screwed the included screws in (no glue). So far no issues, though the hooks don't see a ton of weight. Hooded sweatshirt and maybe a pair of jeans if they are still clean...

I have considered doing a board in the bathroom with some hooks for more towel hangers. Also need to get the new shower curtain rod installed.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I find the bathroom in my 2012 jayflight 185 RB is tight and has no place to hang your clothes when showering except door knob , I thought I would cut a piece of 3/4 x 2 hardwood (router the edges) stain it brown to match the rest of trailer and mount three or four coat hooks on it and mount the whole board high onwall opposite the tub where it is out of way above the toilet.(andwon't poke someone in the eye)
But what are the interior walls made of (in this cases between bathroom and a closet) What sort of material will I be screwing the board into...if it is only 1/8 inch panelling then it will not work.........I also so opportunity to hang a similar coat hook board above the bed (for hats towels etc ) but then I will be attaching to the outside wal that I assume is a sandwhich of panneling and foam ) am I wasting my time and will not have strong support..other alternatives are using toggle bolts like you use for drywall .

thoughts ??
There are stud in all of the walls. The outside edges and probably about every two feet.

Use a length of wood that is the same width as your wall, then fasten it to edge studs. And then mount your hooks to that.

Otherwise, Look where you see a vertical or horizontal line of staples in the wall board. That's where you will find the stud.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #20

I also have these located on the smooth wall at the RV entrance. Had them there for 2-1/2 years, holding coats and not problems so far.
Attached Thumbnails
coat hooks (800x449).jpg  

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote