Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Adding Led lights

Has anyone added led lights strips to the frame of their Camper? I’ve got a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 295 bdok. I’ve got led light strip on the canopy but wanting to add them to the frame to light up the ground and keep the bugs down low instead of by the door!! I’m just curious of what brand you used of lights and are you happy with them?
Sean1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

Maybe you could ask more definitively. Running lights, tail lights, backup lights, illumination for your awning, general lighting , interior lights. I changed to LED tail lights and they are brighter in the daytime but not a whole lot better at night.
Also, what is your make and model RV?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Maybe you could ask more definitively. Running lights, tail lights, backup lights, illumination for your awning, general lighting , interior lights. I changed to LED tail lights and they are brighter in the daytime but not a whole lot better at night.
Also, what is your make and model RV?

I edited my post for you
Old 08-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #4

The easy way would be to buy an led tube light, string it along the ground and plug it in. Roll it up and store inside when not in use. $5 at ace for 15 feet of warm white. I use one under my hot tub for night use.

Never put one on my camper.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
The easy way would be to buy an led tube light, string it along the ground and plug it in. Roll it up and store inside when not in use. $5 at ace for 15 feet of warm white. I use one under my hot tub for night use.

Never put one on my camper.

But that’s just one more thing to pick up on Sunday when it’s time to go home!! My lazy ass wants it as easy when we get to a camp site as possible. I want to be able to push a button or turn on a switch
Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1980 View Post
But that’s just one more thing to pick up on Sunday when it’s time to go home!! My lazy ass wants it as easy when we get to a camp site as possible. I want to be able to push a button or turn on a switch

I also realize it takes about 30 seconds to roll one up too but when you have 2 little kids with all their stuff it all adds up on time
Old 08-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

I have a rope light i once in a while put out.

I have seen a few tts that they mounted ropes lights to the underbelly. Wired in a light switch at the door near the floor to turn them one when they want them. Looks very nice.

I've thought about doing it a few times. But I like sitting outside with only a flicker of light from the campfire.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #8

I added a rope light to the sidewall of my trailer (just under the awning) shortly after I bought it. I bought an 18' LED rope lite and several 4' rope light "tracks" at Menard's to hold the the rope lite in place. There's no reason why they wouldn't work on the frame of your rig. The tracks are clear vinyl, and are easily cut to size with heavy scissors or tin snips. They come with double-sided tape already installed, but I found that detergent deteriorated the glue pretty quickly. I replaced the tape after the first year with 3-M outdoor double-sided tape - it has a red vinyl backer, rather than the white/green paper backer that the indoor only tape has. It's still secure 6 years later. Just to make sure the rope light stayed in the track, I squeezed a bead of clear silicone sealant into the track before inserting the rope light. Also added a glob of clear silicone on top of the rope light, about every foot or so . . . just for good measure. I'd suggest you do the same so you don't end up dragging 20' of rope light down the interstate. If you locate the plug end of the rope light near the door sidewall of your rig, it will be easy to run an outdoor extension chord to your outside 120V receptacle. I added an outdoor timer that I can set to turn them on at dusk and run up to 9 hours (or even dusk-to-dawn) so I don't have to plug/unplug them all the time. It's pretty easy to unplug the extension chord & roll it up for storage at the end of my stay.

You might want to consider it.

P.S. I tried to upload a couple of pics, but my computer isn't cooperating. Sorry!