Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Adding switch to the bath fan

I am currently working on ways to add a switch to the bathroom fan on the wall. Both my wife and son are too short to reach the one on the ceiling. From some schematics I have seen, the power seems to run to the fan, then down the wall to the switch and back up to the ceiling lights.

Has anyone done anything like this that can provide any tips? I know I will need to replace the single wall switch with a double and run 2 wires from the current fan to the switch.

My "plan" was to pull off the inside housing of the skylight to see if I have any access to the space between the roof/ceiling. Then see if I can locate/access the current power to the fan. Identify any wires that may go to the switch and then chase the 2 new wires along the current one, attach the switch and jack it into the current fan wire.

Sounds relatively simple. So, where am I going horribly wrong? Any thoughts/ideas/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

Good idea. Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar Crew Cab 5.7L
Neil S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

I have been considering making the same mod. My wife cannot reach the switch. Since it is a rocker switch I thought about just getting her a long stick to poke it with or maybe changing the switch to a pull chain. I considered a wall switch also but that is too far down my "to do" list.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

When did they eliminate the the fan switch? This is my 2010 jay feather hybrid and it has a rocker. As a matter of fact it also has a rocker switch on the ceiling fan too.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
When did they eliminate the the fan switch? This is my 2010 jay feather hybrid and it has a rocker. As a matter of fact it also has a rocker switch on the ceiling fan too.
We purchased a 2017 BHBE Jay Flight and it only has a single switch on the wall for the lights only. To use the fan, you have to use the rocker on the fan itself. I believe this was the same of the 2016 we looked at as well.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
BCK

If you take the inside trim off the fan it does provide access to the ceiling cavity. Not a lot of room in there but the "truss" rafters do provide some space to work. If you can get at the wires in the ceiling they aren't stapled to anything so just run loose and should be a pretty straight forward to fish another wire in.

If you can reach in the ceiling then the simplest is to take the wall switch off, securely attach a pull string to the wires and very carefully pull it back up into the ceiling space. If you pull too hard or get it stuck where it goes through a smaller hole in stud or similar and the pull string comes off you will have problems so be patient. It usually goes really easy and then you can tie on the new wire and use the string to pull the wires back down.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Hmm. I have a 2017 25BH and I have two switches on the wall. One is the fan the other the light. Thought I want to switch them. The first one is the fan and is the one your hand naturally reaches for. Not a hard project. Just haven't done it yet.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #8

My 2015 19RD was all ready for this.

The wires to the light and fan had a junction in the wall behind the light switch.

I bought a triple gang 12VDC switch. Power bridged to one side of all 3 switches. Separate outputs to 1) the ceiling light, 2) vent fan and 3) a night light I added.

So, yank your switch and see what's back there. It could be easy!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
My 2015 19RD was all ready for this.

The wires to the light and fan had a junction in the wall behind the light switch.

I bought a triple gang 12VDC switch. Power bridged to one side of all 3 switches. Separate outputs to 1) the ceiling light, 2) vent fan and 3) a night light I added.

So, yank your switch and see what's back there. It could be easy!
Is there a trick to popping off the trim on the housing, or does it pull straight off?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkjff View Post
Is there a trick to popping off the trim on the housing, or does it pull straight off?

IIRC the switch cover is an insert. Look at the edges for a some really small pry points to remove the cover.

Once the cover is off, you'll seem some Philips screws. Undo them and the switch falls off the wall.

Count the wires. Hopefully, you'll find 6 wires in 3 sets of twisted pairs.

1) Power supply from the converter
2) Always on feed to fan
3) Through the switch to the ceiling lamp.

If not, break out the DVM and start probing.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

OK, bezel is off, there was a small spot to pry from underneath. I got the trim removed from the skylight/fan. there is only about 2 - 3 inches of room, but it was enough for me to feel the hole in the header. I had to use a scrap piece of romex and feed it down through as I did not have anything heavy enough to carry the string down past the splinters around the hole and teh numerous wires going down it. Now I have a string from the hole for the switch un through the wall and out the opening for the sky light. Now to get some wire. also, I have my dealer looking for the black 2 gang mounting bracket for me. Anyone know where I might get one online in black? Thanks!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

These guys use the "big book" of rv parts. https://campersinnparts.com/826-switches

I'll try to find the url to the actual "big book." But this catalog is the very same one that each dealer uses to stick their shelves, and these are the same OEM parts that the manufactures use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #13

I knew I had the link!
Here's the actual "rv retail catalog". http://www.rvretailcatalog.com

What I call the big book.

Find your part numbers here, and then search for the part at your dealer or even Amazon. the cool thing is, all the OEM parts are in the same catalog, and you can build your projects easier instead of just relying on google searches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Hmm. I have a 2017 25BH and I have two switches on the wall. One is the fan the other the light. Thought I want to switch them. The first one is the fan and is the one your hand naturally reaches for. Not a hard project. Just haven't done it yet.
I flipped mine, and then labeled them.

OP, contact Jayco with your Vin number,, and ask for the wiring diagram. If Jayco questions the request, tell them you have a handicapped spouse, and you need to make it accessible.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #15

https://www.jaycorvparts.com/
TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote