Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 05:47 AM   #1

Awning protection mod

i posted in the what did you do to your Jayco today thread but figured this should also have its own thread.

so i have mentioned this a while back. I have observed that the most common awning failure is age and UV exposure to the top where it is attached to the RV. that first 6 to 8 inches is ALWAYS exposed to the elements especially sun shine (UV). This area deteriorates faster than the rest and eventually starts to rot and then tear.

I theorized that if you could apply something to protect that area from the elements you would significantly extend the life of the awning fabric.

Some of the ideas were: metal tape like the a/c guys use, spray on flex seal, flex seal tape, gorilla duct tape.

I opted to go with the flex seal tape scenario but actually bought gorilla's version in 4 " width.

well yesterday I had a couple of young men doing some work at my house install my camco vent cover and do my awning protection idea.

first I had them clean the fabric real good and let dry. then they applied it. its very sticky and once it goes on its there so slow and steady was the key.

it worked great, it had some wrinkles but that was to be expected. the last 3 feet went on perfectly with no wrinkles. i asked him why it all wasn't like that and he said thats where he finally had it all figured out. LOL Always works for me that way too.

If I was to do it again I would go with 6" wide as the 4 inch ends right on top of the tube and a couple more inches would get it a little further down the roll. I should post pictures I know but didn't take any.

you cant see it from the ground when rolled up and you wont see it when unrolled unless you drop the front edge as low as it will go. I used black tape and the awning is black where it meets the rv side so it should be unnoticeable.

I'll watch this over the years and report back every so often as to the condition of the tape to see how its holding up and weather or not it stays stuck down.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #2

I did the same thing. I also did my slide toppers. I used Zip Rite builders tape. Expensive but is the stickiest tape I have ever used. It also seals the joints from leaking
Old 11-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #3

Pictures?
72buickgsconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

Sounds like a great idea. How far down from the edge of the roof did you go?
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Sounds like a great idea. How far down from the edge of the roof did you go?
its 4 inch wide tape so it goes to the center on the roll tube when it rolled all the way in. like I said if I did it again i would use 6 inch wide
Old 11-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

I have two lengths of vinyl gutters from Home Depot that I invert to cover mine with when not travelling with it. Easy on-easy off. Blocks UV, Rain, Snow etc. Covers the last 'two inches' also.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #7

Not finding my pics/fix.
Easier than fooling with sticky tape, get some blue painters tape mask off distance down from roof connection and use vinyl acrylic exterior paint. Easy peasy....
Have done this on last three trailers and it heald up really well. Applied two coats.

Well that's my fix.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I have two lengths of vinyl gutters from Home Depot that I invert to cover mine with when not travelling with it. Easy on-easy off. Blocks UV, Rain, Snow etc. Covers the last 'two inches' also.
Same here, two section of plastic rain gutter cut to fit. It's cheap and it works.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote