Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Axle lift for x19h

I finally got the lift installed on my x19h. It has dexter axles but Norco brackets, so a traditional dexter kit won't work.

I designed these brackets to be completely bolt on, the only modification is drilling two extra holes in the axle bracket, no frame modifications. I added a tab to the bottom so you can connect the two axles with a piece of tubing or angle iron, though I didn't add that yet. I made these out of 3/8" plate, and it's pretty rigid. I also had to get new fasteners (1-3/4 length grade 8 bolts).

I will update the design with a few changes that I had to make while installing, and then will offer up the dxf model if you'd like to have a local fabricator cut a set for you.

SICARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Thanks for the write up and the pictures of your axle lift. On the new brackets there is a tab with a hole drilled, what is this for. How much did this lift the trailer and how did the trailer handle when towing after the lift? How are you able to keep the axles in alignment?
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

Axle lift for x19h

The tabs are for attaching the brackets to each other to improve rigidity.

I just drove it around the block and will take it on a longer trip Monday to see how it handles.

It raised it 3" total. My plan is to add larger tires so it may go a little taller.

There didn't seem to be a way to check or adjust alignment in its stock form, and these brackets utilize the existing holes, so I'll have to see if there are any issues.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Mine was also a 3" but didn't look nearly as good. Heck, mine looks like a hack job compared to this!
I pulled mine on a 1600 mile trip after doing the lift and couldn't tell any difference - I think it has a low enough center of gravity that the lift doesn't hurt it.

I also went with a larger than factory tire - I don't remember the overall size but they're about an inch taller and in a 14" wheel.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

How can I get a set of these brackets? This looks to be a simple install on your trailer because the underside is completely open. I have a Jay Feather LGE so the underside is enclosed so I will have to remove the cover just to see the axle tubes.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Sawdust I have a 30 ft. Jay Feather LGT-29Y with closed underbelly and just recently did do an axle lift. But used the sub-frame method and bolted to the existing frame. Where the holes are provided for the axles is very flimsy and a very weak part of the overall construction. The axle beams are used as a part of cross members. For Jay Feathers up to 20 ft. those plates would be sufficient but would not recommend for units over 20 ft.
Norco/Bal should have put at least one extra cross member around the axle area. There's a lot of pressure on the frame because of the axles when turning a TT. Have seen pictures on other forums where the frame was bend and Norco/Bal send them a full cross member.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Sicario: for the upper bolts did you use 3/16" spacer washers or a plate?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Axle lift for x19h

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Sicario: for the upper bolts did you use 3/16" spacer washers or a plate?

I just used spacer washers. Although a 3/16" plate would be more ideal, the washer seemed to work well enough.

Sawdust, I can get you a .dxf of the model. From there you could take it to a local shop that has CNC cutting capability (plasma/laser/water jet) and have them cut. PM me for details. I do have a few changes that I need to make to the model and will likely have it complete by tomorrow or Friday when I get back from our trip.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

Just got back from a 100mile trip, everything worked great. I did go through and re-torque everything which I'd recommend to anyone.

I've also updated the model with the minor changes I had to make. I've attached a copy of the model for your personal use.

Of course, this is for "off road" use only, not intended for street use. **end disclaimer**
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lift Bracket.zip (20.0 KB, 418 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #10

So what's everybody's opinion on the suitability of these brackets for a x23B? (GVWR 4950#)

I'm a software guy...not a hardware guy

Thanks!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
So what's everybody's opinion on the suitability of these brackets for a x23B? (GVWR 4950#)

I'm a software guy...not a hardware guy

Thanks!
I would put them on if I had a 23B. I

f lateral stability is a concern, you could put a brace between the two brackets (like adding a third axle), and attach to the extra tabs on the bracket.

I made mine with 3/8" plate, which is substantially more rigid than anything else on the trailer, so I'm not too worried about lateral flex.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #12

SICARIO- I hope I'm not too late to this thread. I purchased a 2005 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y last fall. This year I took it to Gatlinburg, TN and Myrtle Beach SC. I bottomed out numerous times due to the trailer sitting low and long. I have been searching for a lift kit for the trailer. I thought blocks would work, but I have the plate mount on the side. I really like the lift bracket that you made. It looks very professional. Does the machine shop that you used to cut it still have the specs to cut new ones? Or do you have any made that you are selling? Or can I get a hold of the specs? I don't want to reinvent the wheel>>> How much did it run you?

Any Help you might be able to give would be most appreciated. Thank you so much for you post. I have been looking for a long time and now you have given me hope))
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Sunny B - Check back on page 1, post #9, Sicario has attached the file(s) needed for this. You can take them to a machine shop and they can cut them for you.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #14

Scott 91370- Thanks for pointing out the file. I completely missed it when I was skimming the post.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #15

Glad you found it. Let me know if you have any questions or need a different file format for the fabricator. Any fabricator with a laser/plasma/water jet cnc cutter should be able to cut it. I had mine powder coated, which added to the cost.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #16

anyone know the diameter of the bolts? I know I need to order new longer bolts but not sure of diameter?
thanks
STEVED26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #17

1/2” grade 8 bolts. I made the holes slightly oversized to allow for a little misalignment.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #18

SICAIO- Great thanks! I live in Wisconsin so currently we have a lot of snow on the ground and the camper is away in storage till about April. at that point I will be working on my project. Thank you again for your willingness to put the hard work you did on to this form for others to use.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #19

PDF For of the Brackets

Here's the PDF for those who want to trace them out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lift Bracket.PDF (55.2 KB, 226 views)
Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #20

Thanks for posting up the PDF Sicario!
cblynds is offline   Reply With Quote