Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #1

Battery box across the tough

So, I am trying to find a box that will allow me to install all 4 of my 6v batteries across the tough of the travel trailer.

What I've got is a 2019 JayFeather 27RL.

I have basically 11" between the curve of the front to the propane tanks.

I might be able to move the propane tanks forward an inch. That would be the max I can move them.

I'm looking for something that has a lid and can be locked.

Have been looking into some of the truck boxes, but most of them are 14" + in size.

If anyone has some ideas, I'd sure appreciate any and all input.

Could possibly build something if someone has an idea.

Trying to keep it under 200 bucks if possible.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:10 PM   #2

You may look into those A frame racks for a generator that hovers over your propane tanks. Those are over $200. Then you'll have a larger selection of truck bed tool boxes.

Other than that, maybe you can reinforce your rear bumper and put a box in the back.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #3

There are several manufacturers of "Slimline" truck boxes. Here is one example from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS...d-5992ecbdb227

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
You may look into those A frame racks for a generator that hovers over your propane tanks. Those are over $200. Then you'll have a larger selection of truck bed tool boxes.

Other than that, maybe you can reinforce your rear bumper and put a box in the back.
I did think about the generator rack, however, that would create a problem pulling the cover off the propane tanks.

I do have twin 40lbs propane tanks and I'm not sure if it would reach above that size of tank.

Oh man, I don't want to have to run battery cables clear back to rear bumper. That would be over 30 feet of positive and negative cables to have to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
There are several manufacturers of "Slimline" truck boxes. Here is one example from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS...d-5992ecbdb227
Thanks Marcm, I actually looked at some of them on Amazon after posting this thread.
That type might actually work.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #5

I just installed a generator rack and I'm sure theres enough clearance for 30lb tanks but not familar with 40lbers. Many folks go to a soft cover for their tanks ;ut one person said they removed the rivets and replaced with zip ties.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
I just installed a generator rack and I'm sure theres enough clearance for 30lb tanks but not familar with 40lbers. Many folks go to a soft cover for their tanks ;ut one person said they removed the rivets and replaced with zip ties.
Yes, I was also thinking about a soft cover, however, I haven't seen any that are made for 40lb tanks. Have no idea why not?