Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #21

I personally use 2 12V 125AH Lifeline batteries through an A/B switch. I keep one in reserve and only run on one. I usually get 4 days boondocking on a single battery, and have never had a battery go bad. First battery lasted 9 years, way past expectations, and I replaced it as I didn't want to push it any farther. Second one is on 7 years, third is on 2 years. Expensive batteries but I think I get my moneys worth out of them. I regularly push them down to 10.5V before switching over to the second battery. Way below recommended but never a problem. Just saying what works for me, and I don't plan on changing, except to some day add solar.
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
I'm running 2 golf cart (gc) 6 volt batts. 210amphrs. Also bought a 100 watt solar suitcase from Renogy that attaches to terminals on the battery cases. Have a Honda 2.2kw generator for those cloudy days. 1 week trips so far and never got even 1/4 down on the batteries. BTW, GC batteries are true deep cycle...you can take them down all the way without damage. Think about it.... On a golf course they go all day under heavy load! Far better set up than 2 -12 volts that can only go down 50% without damage.
Not entirely true unfortunately. Flooded golf cart batteries are indeed true deep cycle batteries that are more robust and handle being used hard and charged back up better than 12v. but they cannot be completely drained without damaging them. Any flooded battery when drained past 50% is going to be hurt. Also letting the water in them get too low (below the top of the lead plates inside) will damage them in a hurry too. They are leaps and bounds better than a flooded 12v but they aren’t magic, you still need to be nice to them and take care of them. If you want a battery you can drain to almost zero without any consequences then you need to go Lithium. I unfortunately don’t have that in my budget as of now.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
I personally use 2 12V 125AH Lifeline batteries through an A/B switch. I keep one in reserve and only run on one. I usually get 4 days boondocking on a single battery, and have never had a battery go bad. First battery lasted 9 years, way past expectations, and I replaced it as I didn't want to push it any farther. Second one is on 7 years, third is on 2 years. Expensive batteries but I think I get my moneys worth out of them. I regularly push them down to 10.5V before switching over to the second battery. Way below recommended but never a problem. Just saying what works for me, and I don't plan on changing, except to some day add solar.

This is by far the worst battery information that anyone can use.

A "DEAD" battery is 10.5 volts. Each time you bring the battery down to its knees you are chancing that it will not hold a charge after that. Granted they may take a charge but the original 125Ah is reduced each time you discharge the battery.

The other item is that it is not necessary to run the batteries one at a time. Amp hours out needs amp hours in to replace the used Ah's. If you use 60 of the Ah's in battery 1 and switch to battery 2 then use the 60Ah's that are available from that battery (Battery 50% rule) you still used 120Ah between the two. It will take the same amount of time to recharge both batteries to full charge. Since you can not charge both batteries that were used individually, together.

Using your theory on battery usage find your batteries life expectancy in the chart below.

Bad information all the way around!
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Life Cycle Chart Graph.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #24

On our Redhawk we have only the one slide out tray, had to drill out rivets in battery tray corners and welded tray together, then best i could do in our situation was install a Trojan T1275 12v and holds up twice as long as group 24 interstate that was in there. Also we just installed solar so surely will be good enough for us since we were doing ok with just the battery upgrade.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #25

Battery information

2017 Redhawk. Now that I’ve been poking around the battery location I decided to unbolt the battery box that has a sliding tray and drop it to the ground . NOW I HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM for Two 6 Volt Deep cycle batteries! That’s what I been wanting to know. I will make a shelf or box to put the Two Golf Cart batteries in series. I will make the cables and probably buy the Mighty Max Batteries 6V 200AH SLA from Amazon.
I’m not sure if I Need anything else But I’m Open for Suggestions!
Wayne44
Wayne44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #26

QUESTION. IS 2 gauge wire OK for battery cables that I’ m about to make for my 2 6Volt AGM BATTERIES on my 2017 Redhawk?

Wayne44
Wayne44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #27

2 gauge is great, I used 4 gauge after reading what others have used.
The run is short and the draw is low with normal use. It’s not like you’re starting an engine.