Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_eagle View Post
I would also love to put a disconnect switch on there, but I haven't picked one out yet. Any suggestions here would be great.
Consider using one of the new, compact circuit breakers rather than something advertised at a "battery disconnect" if you're looking to save space. Those "battery disconnects" can be rather gigantic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BX5D5J5
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
I'm planning to upgrade to two Battle Born Lithium batteries as soon as I can figure out a replacement for my WF-8735-P power center. The built-in charger in the WF-8735 does not have a Lithium charge profile setting so it will only charge lithium to about 90% charge. If I have to I will install a separate charger and by-pass the 8735 charger. Has anyone solved that problem?
I worked around my WFCO-8735 charger by installing an SAE 2-prong port on the basement wall for a Victron BlueSmart charger: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post907598

If I need the batteries at an SOC higher than what the WFCO-8735 charger can give me, I plug the Victron charger into an inside receptacle while I'm hooked up to shore power.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #43

Needs guidance

Hello All. Just checking if you guys can help. I have a Jayco, 184BS, SLX with stock converter WF-8735. I'm planning to upgrade with AGM, group 31 battery. Will this be good choice? Please see photo of battery thay I'm planning to purchase. Thank you all,
Attached Thumbnails
20210712_205308.jpg  
North-Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I like your idea, sounds familiar, and yes, batteries will fit in there. Forget the 12v though and go with a couple 6v (or 4 if you want to be really prepared). You get deeper cycle batteries with thicker lead plates and more amp hours.

I apologize for my ignorance as I have only owned a trailer for less than a month and have never dabbled in batteries.

Why would 2 6Volts be better than 2 12Volts?

I am a hunter/fisherman and I camp in campgrounds without connections.
Noobsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_eagle View Post
I lurk on here a lot, so I figured I would toss out my plans for the first real mod I plan to do on my Jayco 174BH. It would be great to get some feedback before I go all crazy.
I also have a 174BH I’m looking to do this upgrade. Did you decide in the 2 12s or 2 6s what kit did you use to wire it all, disconnect switch or no? Solar added or no?

I need some help buddy!
Old 08-29-2021, 02:40 AM   #46

As a general rule, the 2 6volt batteries will fit on the tongue brackets of most trailers, and when combined to make a single 12 volt battery by wiring them I series, will generally give you something like ~220 amp hours. The ones sold at Sams Club are deep cycle batteries with thick plates designed to put out a moderate amount of current over time instead of a short burst of high current like starting batteries do. Nearly the same thing can be done with 2 12 volt batteries wired in parallel, BUT the 2 12 volt batteries generally won’t fit in the stock tongue brackets using 2 battery boxes. So the “2 6volt golf cart battery solution” is used because you get the most bang for the buck. Compared to 2 12volt batteries, there is even one less jumper cable needed. I hope this helps. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobsack View Post
I apologize for my ignorance as I have only owned a trailer for less than a month and have never dabbled in batteries.

Why would 2 6Volts be better than 2 12Volts?

I am a hunter/fisherman and I camp in campgrounds without connections.
The typical application for those 6v batteries are electric golf carts. They have a heavier construction which will work longer. There are a couple drawbacks. They must be exact twins. I don't understand exactly why, but if they don't match exactly, you will get the worst characteristic of either battery in terms of charging and discharging. Basically one will drag the other down to it's level.

The wiring takes a little more effort and if you are in a storage situation where you remove your batteries it will be a hassle.

But you do get more amp hours of power in a form factor that fits most travel trailer frames and most people find them to be more economical over time than standard 12v deep cycle batteries. Although initial cost will be higher.

Anecdotally the path most new owners take is first use what you have, move to a bigger version of a standard 12v deep cycle, and finally, if you need more power, go to the twin 6v. With lithium becoming less expensive that may become the go to option over the twin 6v.

Since you will be off grid camping I would research solar charging options which are usually simple to do.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post

Anecdotally the path most new owners take is first use what you have, move to a bigger version of a standard 12v deep cycle, and finally, if you need more power, go to the twin 6v. With lithium becoming less expensive that may become the go to option over the twin 6v.
After reading the helpful comments I'll be moving to 2 6v batteries most likely but you did mention lithium and my question there(and im sure its posted somewhere) but is that a change over thing where im replacing inverters and wiring or is it just a simple battery change just more expensive batteries?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #49

Depends....

Quote:
After reading the helpful comments I'll be moving to 2 6v batteries most likely but you did mention lithium and my question there(and im sure its posted somewhere) but is that a change over thing where im replacing inverters and wiring or is it just a simple battery change just more expensive batteries?
Depends on if your "converter" that charges batteries from shore power is lithium compatible. IF not, your lithium battery will only charge to roughly 80%. Wiring should be the same if you're only changing battery.
Note that lithium iron phosphate batteries do not charge below freezing and must be kept warm if you're a cold weather camper.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #50

As mentioned above, there have been charging problems after changing to lithium batteries because some chargers are not set up to charge them at the correct rate. Can get costly doing the upgrade if you have to replace the convertor and the already expensive lithium batteries.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #51

I have 1 single 12V battery running my 174BH and I plan to upgrade to 2 6V Golf Cart batteries.

I need a box, 2 batteries and 2 cables to link them. That’s all?

I see battery isolators, battery disconnects, battery circuit breakers. What’s needed and not needed and what has the best benefit?

My thoughts:
Camco Heavy Duty Double Battery Box with Straps and Hardware - Group G... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V4482W1...B3YMQ2G7E670R1

SLIGC125 Duracell Ultra BCI Group GC2 6V Flooded Golf Cart and Scrubber Battery
https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cle/6/sligc125
Old 09-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPro4141 View Post
I did a 2X6V golf cart battery upgrade on my 174BH Baja last June. Super easy DIY. Bought the batteries from Costco and the boxes off Amazon. had it done in a couple hrs. Shutoff switch was installed previous.

The only thing I'd say to be careful of is increasing the tongue/trailer weight too much. They have a very low payload capacity. Mine is only 681 lbs. The batteries weight about 60 lbs each.

Best of luck.
I'm just installing the box today to do pretty similar to what you did. I want to do it right the first time and not have to keep fixing/updating so just curious about the shutoff switch, is that in picture 1 with the red T handle, is that necessary?

Do you have a Breaker or Isolator kit?
Old 09-13-2021, 01:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Consider using one of the new, compact circuit breakers rather than something advertised at a "battery disconnect" if you're looking to save space. Those "battery disconnects" can be rather gigantic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BX5D5J5
Bob. Does that breaker act like a disconnect switch when toggling that little red switch?

Looks like an Isolator kit isn't for my application so I just need a breaker or disconnect option
Old 09-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Bob. Does that breaker act like a disconnect switch when toggling that little red switch?
Yes, pressing the red button manually opens the circuit breaker.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #55

Maintain, maintain, maintain

Yes, I just installed and IndelB C130 12/120 fridge in our 2014 184bh. Purchased from Truckfridge in Georgetown KY. The old Norcold 302 was at the end of its life. It was ice damming in back so bad it had warped the interior of the fridge.I leave the unit plugged in at the house and the WFCO converter works fine on the current battery. Truck trickle charges battery and it only uses 45w while compressor running. Ran the new 12 volt lead direct from battery. Bit the bullet and used 10/3 SOW and ran it beside gas line underneath. Soldered all connections and also soldered the original battery connectors. I'm sure it will help. 13.6 while plugged in and 12.8 when unplugged from AC now. 85 AH flooded DC battery.
Adding a Renogy 200 watt solar kit next and going to a larger battery. We boondocked at bluegrass festival with generator 9 days in August. Camper did great but want to do less generator. Thinking of using 200 AH of Lithium instead.
Going on 3 1/2 hr each way next. Will post the experience. BTW, love the fridge. 4.2 cu ft in the space of a 2.3 cu ft.
Charles in WV
Charles in WV is offline   Reply With Quote