Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I used the white vinyl covered wire shelving. Cut to length, little plastic caps on each end. "General Mods" in my signature line.
That's exactly what I used

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #22

I have put shelves in my Greyhawk by using Rubbermaid single track uprights. I screwed an upright into each of the four corners of the closet. Then I used the shelf clips to hold the shelves up. The shelves are easily adjusted to any height and are very sturdy. I used plywood cut to the right size for each shelf. In a small cabinet, I used paneling for the shelves to save weight. The material you make the shelf out of depends on the size of the shelf span and what you are using the shelf for. I bought all of the materials at Home Depot.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I have put shelves in my Greyhawk by using Rubbermaid single track uprights. I screwed an upright into each of the four corners of the closet. Then I used the shelf clips to hold the shelves up. The shelves are easily adjusted to any height and are very sturdy. I used plywood cut to the right size for each shelf. In a small cabinet, I used paneling for the shelves to save weight. The material you make the shelf out of depends on the size of the shelf span and what you are using the shelf for. I bought all of the materials at Home Depot.
Like this idea because it's fully adjustable, I might do a change out on mine.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #24

We went to an RV show yesterday, one thing we noticed was on the inside of the closet cupboards there was white wallpaper on the inside, this made the closet space much brighter than what we currently have so when it gets warmer we will do the mod.
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
We went to an RV show yesterday, one thing we noticed was on the inside of the closet cupboards there was white wallpaper on the inside, this made the closet space much brighter than what we currently have so when it gets warmer we will do the mod.
I also put a motion sensor light inside mine so that when I open the door the light turns on. It helps quite a bit.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #26

In my hybrid we have his & hers closets so in mine I installed under shelf drawers and the bottom one is divided into 3 sections. One is for toothbrush & paste,floss, deodorant next is shampoo, soap, shaver and last are pills. The top one is my junk drawer,fuses,light bulbs, batteries,flashlight.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
In my hybrid we have his & hers closets so in mine I installed under shelf drawers and the bottom one is divided into 3 sections. One is for toothbrush & paste,floss, deodorant next is shampoo, soap, shaver and last are pills. The top one is my junk drawer,fuses,light bulbs, batteries,flashlight.
Nice!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Wow, I like that!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #29

We just got a new TT this year also and have yet to take possession. I have the same issue, but I am very hesitant to put holes in the walls. I bought the expandable bars (for the refrigerator) and plan to put three across the closet as a shelf. If I need a solid surface, I can put a thin sheet of plywood on top of them, but for towels and clothes the bars should work fine'
utbgcamper mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #30

For those who have added the wire shelving, are the wall anchors holding in there good? Any pulled back out? I'm in the process of this and using the 16" deep shelving w/ 4, prob 6 brackets per shelf. And it will only bee clothing/towels on the shelves. Any issues w/ the thin paneling? Thanks
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
For those who have added the wire shelving, are the wall anchors holding in there good? Any pulled back out? I'm in the process of this and using the 16" deep shelving w/ 4, prob 6 brackets per shelf. And it will only bee clothing/towels on the shelves. Any issues w/ the thin paneling? Thanks
I believe an earlier post here in this same topic said the 3M brand 'Command' adhesive hooks worked well with the wire shelving. It doesn't answer your question directly, but it might be an option worth considering.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #32

Front bedroom wardrobe shelving w/ command hooks

[IMG]http://

Main wardrobe shelving w/ wall anchors
[/IMG]

3 shelves in main wardrobe Shelves are 16" deep
Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #33

Looks nice Kevin.. just wonder how those hooks will hold up long term. The paper overlay on the wall panels are applied with hot melt adhesive, and has a tendency to lose some adhesion when it gets warm out. I know we have had some issues in an other trailer with them. Actually pulled the paper off the board. Does make a clean installation tho.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #34

Thanks, Kevin.

I like it. A lot. This my 'Plan A' when I get my trailer home.

IFF (if and only if) the Command Hooks/paper needs help someday, a small brad or screw at the top of the hook should take care of it.

But the initial install should be very quick with no risk. And the shelf spacing can be changed easily (hopefully without a trace) if the first 'guess-timate' wasn't what is needed when the packing actually begins. DW will like that part.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #35

I had to use the Command hooks in the bedroom cause the walls are so thin the screws would go right through on the bed side.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
I had to use the Command hooks in the bedroom cause the walls are so thin the screws would go right through on the bed side.

That looks awesome. I'm going to steal this idea. All credit to you
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #37

Bikester, thanks, but I got the ideas from around here. I was just trying to show some different angles of the project. One thing I didn't show is that I have two anchors on each side in the main wardrobe to help spread the load out since the walls are thin.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #38

I found the shelving in brushed nickel at Lowes, which would look classy. There are also brushed nickel Command hooks that could be used as well. The only downside is that they only have 12" depth in the nickel which would be short, but something to consider.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	17061
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #39

Good idea with the Command Hooks...thanks! I'm going to do this but use a 7/16" birch plywood shelf, and molding on the front edge, and make it the depth of the closet so it won't slide foreward (or backward). I just don't care for the wire shelves...each to his own, I guess

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Good idea with the Command Hooks...thanks! I'm going to do this but use a 7/16" birch plywood shelf, and molding on the front edge, and make it the depth of the closet so it won't slide foreward (or backward). I just don't care for the wire shelves...each to his own, I guess
I used thin Masonite for shelves in my class-B. The shelves started sagging, even without stuff on them. I glued wood reinforcing strips on the bottoms. Not pretty, but functional.

Wire shelves are OK in my book, and they won't sag... I really like that!