Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Question Best way to add shelves in closets??

We placed an order a few weeks back for a Jayflight 28BHBE. So while I wait impatiently I'm looking at mods. I'm really not a fan of the hanging closet space. One next to the pantry and 2 in the bedroom. I can't see myself hanging up stuff. I'm much more of a shelf person. So I was wondering from those who have converted the closets to shelves what you found to be the best way to do that. I don't want to start making holes and mess something up. I see a lot of people have completed this mod. So please enlighten me on the best attachment methods Thanks a ton
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

In the small cabinets, I installed wire shelving that will hold smaller items (severl apirs of jeans for example). I bought an 8' section of the plastic coated wire shelving and a bag of the end caps at Home Depot. Cut the shelving to the desired width and hung them using large Command hooks.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Look on Pinterest, they have 100s of ideas for tons of stuff. I'll try to find one idea I saw someplace and it was using command hooks on the sides and placing shelves on the hooks. Now it might no be a hook but a bracket.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

We wanted more drawer space in our unit. We have hanging space on each side of the bed, and a his & hers hanging closet in the slide out wardrobe. I build a set of 4 drawers that fit right into one side, and is free standing. Built it out of 1/4" Luan to save weight and stained them. The doors close and it's all out of sight. No screws or holes, and can be removed easily. You could do the same and make shelves. We thought about trying to find something that would fit, but decided we could get maximum room if I built one to fit the space.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

When I bought mine (used) it already had shelves installed that was a plus for me, I hang nothing. If you check the side walls of the closet their double wall and if you use a brad nailer with the proper length brads they won't poke out the outer wall. If you look close you can see all the brads he used to attach the side bracket.
rryman's idea is a very good that really leaves no trace.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
...snip... I'm really not a fan of the hanging closet space. ...snip... I'm much more of a shelf person. ...snip...
Yup. Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
In the small cabinets, I installed wire shelving ...snip... I bought an 8' section of the plastic coated wire shelving and a bag of the end caps at Home Depot. Cut the shelving to the desired width and hung them using large Command hooks.
I did something different in a class-B to replace hanging space with shelves, but when I read this...
Hands down, this idea beats the shelving I had done before and what I was planning to do again... Consider this idea STOLEN! Thanks!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

I use a hanging closet organizer to add "shelves" to our wardrobe closets.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 PM   #8

On a previous TT we did as done on Tunce the traveler unit. Small cleats and then shelves. I also did this over the sink as it was higher than we needed for dishes etc, made the space much more usable. I also took the top drawer in the kitchen, which was a silverware drawer with dividers. It was a deep drawer which was a waste of space. I cut the existing drawer down in height and added a new drawer above it. The existing drawer front covered both drawers but was attached to the bottom drawer. When ope you could slide the top drawer in or out as needed, it allowed access to the lower drawer then. Double the useful drawer space.

I agree we don't hang that many clothes when camping, shelves were a much better utilization of the space for us.

Let us know what you decide and post some pictures !

Good Luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
Site Team

If you think out the shelf installations, It likely be left in the rig when you sell it and save the new owner from having to do it.

Look at any shelves that are factory installed and they look like the mods shown here.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
When I bought mine (used) it already had shelves installed that was a plus for me, I hang nothing. If you check the side walls of the closet their double wall and if you use a brad nailer with the proper length brads they won't poke out the outer wall. If you look close you can see all the brads he used to attach the side bracket.
rryman's idea is a very good that really leaves no trace.
I did something similar except I used wire shelving like you'd use in your closet at home that I had cut to size for the shelves

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

I found this posted in another thread when I was cruising around this forum a few days ago. I bookmarked it as I *know* I'm gonna need more storage, regardless of what rig we eventually buy. Which means more shelves!

I also like how she added a flip up counter for the kitchen. She shows how she added shelves in the curved closet in the bedroom of her trailer.

http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #12

I wonder what happened to Wendy, she was on almost every night and without a word just disappeared into thin air.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
I wonder what happened to Wendy, she was on almost every night and without a word just disappeared into thin air.
I just did some more rooting around on her blog. Looks like in June 2013 they were empty nesters and decided to sell their house and go overseas on some church mission(s). Myanmar was mentioned, but I don't know if that's what really happened as I didn't find anything else after that. I would suspect the RV got sold as well, but that wasn't mentioned.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I just did some more rooting around on her blog. Looks like in June 2013 they were empty nesters and decided to sell their house and go overseas on some church mission(s). Myanmar was mentioned, but I don't know if that's what really happened as I didn't find anything else after that. I would suspect the RV got sold as well, but that wasn't mentioned.
Must have been hard to give up that "TT" she did so much remodeling and decorating to it. Life goes on and you do make changes, we've all made changes and I like the way things are going right now.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I found this posted in another thread when I was cruising around this forum a few days ago. I bookmarked it as I *know* I'm gonna need more storage, regardless of what rig we eventually buy. Which means more shelves!

I also like how she added a flip up counter for the kitchen. She shows how she added shelves in the curved closet in the bedroom of her trailer.

http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html
The counter top extension she did was pretty cool too. Had already planned on adding shelves to the bedroom closets this winter, but now I have more ideas. Thanks!
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1115 View Post
The counter top extension she did was pretty cool too. Had already planned on adding shelves to the bedroom closets this winter, but now I have more ideas. Thanks!
I used her idea of the extension in mine.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #17

Quote:
I used her idea of the extension in mine.
Are those baseballs on your wallpaper strip, Tunce? Kind of looks like it.

Yeah, I thought that was a really nice addition she did. The floor plan I like already has one installed, but if it didn't, I'd be printing out those instructions.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

Now that you mention it I guess they do look like baseballs. Here's a better pic. for you.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Now that you mention it I guess they do look like baseballs. Here's a better pic. for you.
And if they didn't look like that to you before, they will now! HA!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #20

I used the white vinyl covered wire shelving. Cut to length, little plastic caps on each end. "General Mods" in my signature line. I removed a screw in the cabinet to determine the safe screw length. In one spot I had to add a 3/4" filler strip just to make installing the shelves easier. I did keep one closet setup for jackets as we go out during the cool season too. It was really easy to do.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote