Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #201

Never underestimate the power of prayer. It's nice to see a family that still holds traditional beliefs and prays together. Hang in there "Tooth Fairy"...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #202
Site Team

Yes, hang in there and keep on going! My neighbor has been out of work for two years and finally found something that he was not overqualified for this week.

Prayers and family support make it so.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #203

John, sorry to hear about your work situation. I love reading your posts, because you have such a creative mind and great mods. It sounds like you are a man of faith, just remember that the Lord will test you, but He will never give you more than you can bear. Keep searching, keep being positive, but most importantly KEEP PRAYING and being a good example to your children. Perhaps His plan is for you to be at home with the children and pass along your creativity and positive mindset to your children... the only way to accomplish that is to temporarily out of the workplace.

Stay strong, God bless you.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #204

John,

Awesome mods, though you have set the bar so high not sure we would expect anything less from you!!! Keep up the great work.

Concerning the job situation, we are all hoping and praying you are offered a job very, very soon. There are some jobs that while the companies are requiring a college degree, the piece of paper does not give you real world experience. There are some jobs which should still have the men and women move up the ladder from the trenches with the experience and knowledge in their field/job/career.

Hopefully the Tooth Fairy's hand writing is different than yours' is. That is awesome of your daughter.

Hang in there and keep the positive thoughts!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #205

Again I'd like to thank the forum members who have replied, commented, prayed, etc. Kind of got me choked up a little this morning reading the comments. No member on this forum has met me (that I know of), yet you still have the care and concern as if we'd been lifelong friends. Thank you! I assure you it really means a lot to me, and my family.

Yes, we are a family of faith. It's what keeps us going, and together. No doubt, we are being tested, but, we will make it. Stressful and aggravating, yes, but we will never turn our back on God.

Norty, man, I don't feel so bad since your neighbor was out of work 2 years. I can't even imagine that. I don't think I could go that long really. Might would just have to go all out, throw all eggs in the basket and take a gamble on a business in our shop. Not what I want to do really, but, time will tell. Location is key, and we're not in that great location to make a good living really, especially with RV customizing. Amazing how LITTLE RVs are around here.

Hopefully I can come up with a few more mods for yall to keep the thread going, and interesting. All of yall are awesome, and I thank yall for the prayers.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #206

We (wife and I) know what it's like. She was off work for 11-1/2 months. Luckily I had just transferred into a different department at work, and was grabbing all the o/t I could get.

Have you weighed your rig lately??? You aren't over the gvwr of it yet are you??? Lol

Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #207

Hadn't weighed it recently, but yes, it has crossed my mind. The way I figure, some mods, I'm removing MDF and replacing with solid wood. So, same or lighter. Residential fridge is lighter, so I gained a little slack there. Then again, the door trim may have added some, as well as the shoe shelf. Who knows where I'm at now. Guess I'll cross the scales in the near future and see where we're at. Still want to change out the stock sink for a stainless, and we're debating ditching the whole couch for a futon / bed type of outfit. We don't use the couch for much more than changing the little one, or sitting for a few minutes in the morning watching TV. Right now, the little one is in the play pen next to the couch, but that will soon be gone. We've debated sticking 2 kids on 1 bunk, but I think I could make it work better with a solution in place of the couch.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #208

Door Face Moulding

Kind of a follow up to the décor above the doors. Couldn't stand it, and decided to add some face moulding to the sides of both doors. One door is poplar, the other pine, just because I had some left over and just enough to do this project. Finished it out pretty nice. So, another 2 Lbs or so added to the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7687.jpg   IMG_7688.jpg  
Old 09-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #209

Sorry about the sideways pictures.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #210

Nice addition!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 AM   #211
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Sorry about the sideways pictures.
Good that I'm still laying down!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:14 AM   #212

Looks great as usual John. Hang in there on the job front. Things will turn around for you. Never underestimate the power of prayer...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 10-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #213

Fat Boy Ladder Mod

Ok, I'm back. I'm not exactly slim pickens, or larger than life. I weigh in at a mere 220 I think. I can't remember what these crap ladders are rated at, but I'm thinking somewhere in the 225 to 250 range. Either way, I went up to clean the roof the other day, and couldn't help but notice that where the ladder is screwed to the wall, the mount was kind of stressed and the sealant cracked open a little.

Hey, no problem. I've looked at doing this mod for a while. All I did, and I hope you can tell in the pictures, is secure a 1"x1" piece of aluminum tubing to each side of the ladder (To the ladder mounts going to the back wall) utilizing SS 1-1/8 u-bolts, some old black water hose (serves as chaffing between the u-bolt and ladder - hence using 1-1/8" u-bolts opposed to 1" as the ladder would normally require), and nyloc nuts. It is solid as a rock now. The 2 pieces of tubing rest on top of the bumper, thus holding all of the weight. Plastic inserts on each end of the square tubing finish it off.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #214

Another great idea John thanks! I'm just a bit over 200 pounds but always feel like the ladder is going to give way...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 11-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #215

Well, not a mod, but something that has to be done. Every other year, and this is the second year plus over 7000 miles, so time to get it done. Started breaking down stuff to repack bearings and inspect brakes tonight. I'll admit, this is something that I don't have much experience with, but I've never been defeated by something like this. Pretty straight forward. We've usually traded rigs before the bearings needed attention. But, times change, and I'm still not employed, sooooo. And of course, I have so much money in this rig, I don't think I could part with it, even if I got a new one.

One thing I got aggravated with tonight, is realizing how much this dang dirt road affects these brakes. The picture of the brakes was after I cleaned them with brake clean. The were horrible, full of dust and a bit of mud. The price you pay to live WAY out in the boonies like we do.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8142.JPG   IMG_8144.JPG   IMG_8143.JPG  
Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #216

John,

Regarding the job situation, have you thought about picking up and moving down to San Antonio for a bit? The oil field isn't what it used to be (low oil prices), but there's apparently still work down this way as evidenced by the slew of RV parks that are still largely full of oil field workers. Regardless, you're bound to find more work this way than you would in Florien.

BTW, I grew up in Pickering, just South of Leesville. Dated a girl from Florien one time...back when I was 12 or so. :-) We played ball and ran cross-country all over the string of towns along 171.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #217

The largest shale oil reserve was just discovered in Midland Texas. I'm
Sure you could find something if you come to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #218

Thanks for all the insight on work. At his time, I'm staying planted. Right now, my wife (An RN), is working making pretty good income. I have changed my rolls from bread winner to stay at home, homeschool dad. My wife works a 7 on, 7 off rotation, so it's kind of like offshore, except it's not me. She works 7 days, then we do whatever we want for 7 days. That said though, over the past few months, I realized why God made women to be moms, and not men. But hey, I get it done and the kids enjoy it.

On the bearing repack, lets just say it kicked my butt today. May even pay my trusted dealer to do it next time. The right side (door side) went ok. The driver's side or off door side, not so good. The inner bearing on the front wheel was pretty much seized to the axle. After over 30 minutes of pulling and prying and destroying the seal, I got it off. I probably did a big no no, but I'm ok with the results. Once the hub was off, I tried to slide the bearing back on by itself to see if it's even go back on. Nope. So, that's when I discovered some blemishes in the axle itself. Shame on dexter. So, a little fine filing, a little fine sand paper and got it as good as it could possibly be outside of a new axle. After a long while of making the axle right again, the bearing snuggly fit back on as it should. I didn't trust the bearing anymore, so I got new bearing cups and cones for that hub. All went back together with no issues. The rear wheel on that side wasn't too much different, so ended up replacing the bearings and races on that hub as well. I'm satisfied, BUT, I will only run this set up for the next year, then replace all bearings and races. I usually would only do this every other year, but beings I went with Duralast bearings and races, I'll just change them all out next year.

Anybody got any experice with Autozone / Duralast bearings? It's all I could get on short notice.

Ok, that said, worst comes to worst, can anybody tell me a good source to get a new Dexter D44 axle should I decide to replace it? Probably could just get directly from Dexter as I've gotten seals and such from before.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #219

I was researching bearings last year and everything I found was made in you-know-where. I think even my beloved Timkens are no longer U.S. made.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #220

I wanted Timkens, but couldn't get what I needed right then and there. We are fixing to cut out for out of state pretty soon, so I just needed the rig back on the ground quick. If they'll last another 5000 miles or so, I'll be happy, then will change out with Timkens this time next year. Will just cross my fingers until then.