Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
TreatCG, the 2015 should be the Dicor Diflex II TPO roof.

Bob, I can't remember the exact cost. The PG Liquid Roof is around $30 a quart. I usually use 2, and have some left over. If you're only doing seams, 1 quart is plenty. I do all the skylights though. It all depends on just how far you want to go. The super coat was a shade more cost wise. Even though my slide roof had the dicor version of Eternabond across the T-molding area, I still sanded all of it and coated it well. Everything that is coated is holding up really well. You can go over the side a little if you want. It is thick stuff, and will only run if you get crazy with it.
Looks like the 9951 is on hold from ProGuard right now.

Sir:

Super Coat is on hold for now. We used an additive that initial tests showed marked improvement over the Liquid Rubber. But, unfortunately it was unstable in the can and cured on its own, in the can… We have had some big improvements with the Liquid Rubber, such as cure time and brightness. We also had all the testing done on the Liquid Rubber and Moisture Cure Liquid Rubber. Both are Cool Roof Rated, US Green building council and the MCLR will be FM approved in a couple of weeks!

Hope that helps! You can buy Liquid Rubber from one of our internet distributor’s!
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #262

Liquid rubber won't stick to the TPO if I remember right. One dealer found out the hard way on several Alpha Superflex roofs, which are a type of tpo.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #263

Gotta correct myself after rereading this. It was liquid roof that didn't stick according to what I saw. Not sure on the liquid rubber. It was similar to what I have. Too many liquids. I have the Moisture Cure on my cargo trailer and it's done fine as well. They'll get it sorted out.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #264

I credited you for giving me the motivation for doing the shelf above the microwave mod that I just posted

mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #265

I hadn't posted anything in a while on this thread, but I haven't done any RV mods. The money just isn't there anymore. BUT, I've still been building things out of what materials I have. This isn't an RV mod, but can be used to move ours. I've had this cheap 3 point receiver hitch for my tractor for years and it has served me well, until the other day. Now granted I wasn't using it for it's intended purpose (Was pulling T-Posts out of the ground with it and a chain), but either way, it shouldn't have broke. So, as I always do, I make something 10 times better. I had some material left over from numerous receiver hitches I've built for our past campers, so here we go. Build a bad a$$ class V receiver hitch for the tractor. And here it is. Only thing I have left is the stuff for the safety chains (Not necessary but why not) and a nice paint job. This hitch is built from 3x3x1/4 wall tubing with 2x2x1/4 wall bracing, 3/8" flat bar for the top link, class V receiver tube, and cat 2 pins for the tractor. Now, the tractor will break before the hitch.

We have a LOT of trailers, so since I move and shuffle them around quite a bit, a tractor receiver hitch is a necessity. Sure, I could hook the trailers to the truck, but I'm one of those "Work smarter, not harder" type of people.

Other than that, I've created a new design on a bush hog tail wheel that includes a replaceable wear bushing for the swivel. Might post that one on my YouTube channel. Too far from RV related, so I won't post it here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8881.JPG   IMG_8897.JPG   IMG_8899.JPG   IMG_8901.JPG   IMG_8902.JPG  

Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #266

That looks stout!! Shouldn't have to worry about that anymore. Great work as always John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #267

Nice work. I need to learn how to weld.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post

So do I!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #269

I started welding a little at age 12 I think. We didn't have a machine, but my friends dad did. We used it so much he made us reimburse him for a small amount of the power bill. Fast forward numerous years and I still didn't have a machine. Had to pay a welder to fix a trailer, and after that cost I said screw that and went and bought a machine, then another and so on. I'm 100% self taught by trial and error.

Go buy a simple Lincoln cracker box and / or 220v mig (180 amp at least), and have at it. Heck my wife has her own stuff, but doesn't really mess with it. She can run a bead though. Little John has his own hood, shirt and cap, and even at 5 is starting to learn. He knows he gets to inherit one of my machines down the road.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
There's a guy at our office that's taking a welding class every Saturday at the local junior college...just an idea.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
There's a guy at our office that's taking a welding class every Saturday at the local junior college...just an idea.
Seriously. That's a GREAT idea!

I've always thought I'd like to learn how to weld. My dad and brother do a little, but it usually doesn't look very good. And in my dad's case, it doesn't really work all that well either. Luckily my dad doesn't weld anything critical.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #272

Finally got it the safety chain loops and paint done, so here's the final product.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8927.jpg  
Old 04-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #273

John you are an awesome craftsman! That looks fantastic.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #274

Looks great! Love the logo. Nice touch

Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #275

Thanks danno and Tom. I got bored last night, I got a crazy amount of paint, had a few artist brushes so doodled the VC on there. Guess at some point I could start a "Nothing to do with RVs" mod thread.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 AM   #276

Good morning John. With so many mods when do you have time to go camping?

FYI, My RV Flex Armor roof is now 15 months old and I absolutely still love it. Last summer I was parked under some kind of tree for 4 months that dropped orange berries of some sort on it. I thought it was stained permanently, but a squirt of Dawn and a soft brush (soft brush means no hard scrubbing) and it cleaned right up. I wash it twice a year when the trailer gets waxed and it looks just like it did 15 months ago.

Thank you again for your recommendation on RV Flex Armor when I needed a new roof last year.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #277

Good morning to you too Ed. I actually don't have much time to camp anymore. My wife works a 3 on, 1 off, 3 on 7 off rotation (RN), and it's all nights. Most of the time I'm homeschooling the kids. That one day off I'm at the shop normally. During the 7 off I'm either at the shop, helping with homeschool, cooking, cleaning house, or just doing the 100 other things that goes with maintaining 25 acres. It's all very time consuming and does take a toll on me / us. When I or the wife has had enough, we go camp, which is not very often. No doubt life is different now, and more of a struggle, but thanks to my wife and parents and them loving to see me work, modify, build, and of course CAMP, I do get the occasional funding to do a few things. I am very grateful for them, and the compliments on this forum which drive me to do more and more.

On the roof, I'm glad it's proven to be probably the best roof available. I always love to get honest real world feedback on a product, good and bad. My seam coat is doing well also. Not even in the same league as your roof, but it's serving the purpose for now.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Good morning to you too Ed. I actually don't have much time to camp anymore. My wife works a 3 on, 1 off, 3 on 7 off rotation (RN), and it's all nights. Most of the time I'm homeschooling the kids. That one day off I'm at the shop normally. During the 7 off I'm either at the shop, helping with homeschool, cooking, cleaning house, or just doing the 100 other things that goes with maintaining 25 acres. It's all very time consuming and does take a toll on me / us. When I or the wife has had enough, we go camp, which is not very often. No doubt life is different now, and more of a struggle, but thanks to my wife and parents and them loving to see me work, modify, build, and of course CAMP, I do get the occasional funding to do a few things. I am very grateful for them, and the compliments on this forum which drive me to do more and more.

On the roof, I'm glad it's proven to be probably the best roof available. I always love to get honest real world feedback on a product, good and bad. My seam coat is doing well also. Not even in the same league as your roof, but it's serving the purpose for now.
As you remember I had a roof membrane failure and had read about RV Flex Armor previous, but your recommendation got me over the edge. I wasn't at all happy about spending my money on another rubber roof and expect different results the second time. This RV Flex Armor is absolutely fantastic and has been noticed by several campers over the past year+. They have questions and I don't hesitate to answer them.

No more rubber roof for me EVER!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Seriously. That's a GREAT idea!

I've always thought I'd like to learn how to weld. My dad and brother do a little, but it usually doesn't look very good. And in my dad's case, it doesn't really work all that well either. Luckily my dad doesn't weld anything critical.
90% of the welding is in the preparation (nice clean surfaces and a good ground), 8% is in the welder settings and 2% is the monkey operating the stick (at least that is how it seems with wire feed welders).
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #280

Probably close. Prep, bevels, heat, penetration, and of course technique does matter. I don't mig everything. I do stick some of the thicker stuff, BUT, I hate changing rods so prefer mig. Well capable of both though. A lot of what I do is critical, as in all the receiver hitches on RVs for double towing. I'd put my work against any store bought for sure. It's why I always end up building my own stuff.

I have done and will do work for others, so anybody near by keep that in mind if you have an idea or need something fixed or built.