Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I still have it in my head, but unfortunately all projects got put on hold, which may turn into long term. We still have the shop, but since we’ve moved and with little time off I’ll be lucky to use the camper 1-2 times a year. Considering selling the whole rig, truck / trailer and all. It’d make someone a fine setup with no issues to fix and tons of upgrades. Compared to what I see coming off the lines now, this one is a gem.
Hate to hear that...I believe I can speak for many here that we DEPEND on your creativity and engineering prowess. They'd be getting one helluva setup, that's for sure. I'd trade my 28BHBE for yours just about any day.

Do you mind sharing some of the ideas you may have about that particular subject? I am positive I won't be able to duplicate them on the same level but the guidance would sure help. Thanks in advance.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #562

Quote:
I never did post this, but it's really not a mod. The accessory hitch that you can get on the Jay Flights is ok. It serves it's purpose, and being rated at 300 lbs, you can put a few good things back there if you wanted to. BUT, how many people have looked at the angle iron brackets that are welded to the frame to receive the hitch? 3 - 1" stitch welds per side. That's it. So maybe it will handle 300 lbs, static. I wouldn't want to test a dynamic load that big. So, first picture is the original welds, second picture is just one of the sides with a lot more weld. I also swapped out the Gr 5 bolts / nuts for Grade 8.
John, you know what size/length you got for the grade 8 bolts for the hitch. Just got my hitch and didn't notice they didn't come with the grade 5 bolts or even bolts. Thanks
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #563

I wish I could tell you off hand, but camper is over at the shop and I have no idea when I’ll be back over that way. Hadn’t used it but one time this year. Wish I could be of more help but since I started this new job Camping and the RV thing is pretty much dead.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #564

Quote:
I wish I could tell you off hand, but camper is over at the shop and I have no idea when I’ll be back over that way. Hadn’t used it but one time this year. Wish I could be of more help but since I started this new job Camping and the RV thing is pretty much dead.
No worries, best of luck to your new job.
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #565

Hey, John, can you talk about how you wired the fridge for shore power?

Is the Norcold wired and you put in an outlet?
Did you wire for the 2 6 volt and inverter when you installed the fridge?

This is a mod I looked at when you originally posted it, but lost it. Now, this would be awesome.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #566

Sugarray, I’ll try to lay out the details tonight or tomorrow in a post when I slow down for a few.

Short answer for the moment, norcold was gas / electric, so there was already a plug behind the fridge. Was ran like that for awhile, running off genset during travel. Inverter, batteries, x-fer switch and new outlet came a year or so later.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #567

Sorry to hear you aren't able to use your rig much any more. I have very much enjoyed reading your mods & following things you do.

How is your roof sealant holding up? Thinking of doing something to my roof before it is stored outside for the winter up here in Michigan.
njburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #568

Skylight Delete, Part 2

Hey, I'm back, at least for a few posts on this thread. A quick update, I updated my kids ages on my signature, I still drive a truck, I still live on Toledo Bend lake, and I still don't get to go camping much. Now for the meat and potatoes.

For those of you that have followed this thread since the get go, you'll know the details of what I'm talking about. This mod / fix ties 2 older mods together due to something that happened. First mod being the skylight delete and interior décor with led lights, although it wasn't 100% deleted, second mod being the roof coating I did a few years back. The roof coating I did has about a 98% success rate so far. The 2% failure being on the kitchen skylight dome. The rest of the RV is still great. I had recoated the kitchen skylight at some point, so "I" may have been the problem. It somehow became softer and sticky over the last year and things started to stick to it (Leaves, debris etc). I got tired of looking at it and decided to just ditch the whole dome and do what I really wanted to do to start with. So here are some progress pictures of what I did. Keep in mind, I'm not a millennial (No offense to younger members), if I want natural light, I'll go outside, and, I hate skylights as it's another hole in the roof for a potential leak. So here's a few progress pictures:

SD1: This is after I removed the old skylight dome. I did like your supposed to. Pry gently with the putty knife. This time however, this crap didn't wanna let go at all. After a long while of prying, I said screw it and just cut the dicor roofing and pulled the thing off. You'll see why later. The luan you see is the top side of the interior Fleur de lis décor.

SD2: This is where I reframed the opening up with 3/4x1.5" strips and 1.5x1.5" strips. The luan you see is the original Fleur de lis put back in place.

SD3: Batten insulation installed.

SD4: Reflectix bubble insulation put over the batten.

SD5: Plywood secured over previous. I used the plywood from the old master bedroom bed platform I redid earlier in the thread, so no cost there.
Attached Thumbnails
SD1.JPG   SD2.JPG   SD3.JPG   SD4.JPG   SD5.JPG  

Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #569

Continued:

SD6: First layer of Eternabond to tie the roof membrane in. Aluminum sheet cut and prepped with butyl. Another layer of Reflectix bubble insulation in place.

SD7: Aluminum sheet secured with #10x1" screws.

SD8: Second layer of Eternabond. Me and Eternabond have a love hate relationship. It's great stuff, but only if you never plan on removing it. I don't plan to with this. Yes, I came up short, by a matter of inches. So, more Eternabond on the way to finish it up next week.

SD10: This is the old skylight dome with crap still stuck to it. Pretty much garbage at this point.

So now I have a completely deleted skylight. The interior looks the same, just not quite the depth. My wife insisted I make it work, as she like the way the ceiling looked with the lights and Fleur de lis. No problem.

Some may like this mod, some may think it's crazy or ignorant, but it's what works for the owner that matters. If I keep this rig, or actually get to start using it more, the slideout floor is the next to be gutted and redone with thicker material.
Attached Thumbnails
SD6.JPG   SD7.JPG   SD8.JPG   SD10.JPG  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #570

Sorry for the neck breaking sideways pictures. Guess I took them sideways. Before someone asks, why did I use aluminum sheet. 1, nobody would sell me a small piece of dicor diflex II roofing, and I didn't want to pay for a large amount plus the glue. 2, I had the aluminum sheet.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #571

Awesome as always John! Nice to see you back!!!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #572

Thanks Tom. Glad to see you're still going, same rig too, plus more extras. Believe me I miss it. Everybody in my household wants a newer bigger rig when and if our finances allow. But for some reason I keep pecking away on this one, to the point I don't think I'd ever sell it even if we bought another.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #573

I know how you feel. My kids are growing up fast and they are almost “too cool” to go camping with mom and dad. I’d love to downsize at that point but like you I’ve grown attached to our trailer. [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #574

Hey John

Glad to here from you man!

Hope all is going well for you guys with the move and new job!

Take care
Jack

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #575

Hey Jack. Great to hear from you. Can't really complain here. However, still hoping to land something back offshore again where I can be on a rotation and get some travel time in. Man have things changed out there.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #576

Quote:
Hey Jack. Great to hear from you. Can't really complain here. However, still hoping to land something back offshore again where I can be on a rotation and get some travel time in. Man have things changed out there.
Yes they have for sure.............it's a totally different world!!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #577

Hi John,
Good to hear from you. I always enjoyed your post since we have the same model trailer.
You take care of yourself!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #578

Thanks RAurand, I will. Glad you’ve enjoyed and thank you!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #579

Great to see you back, John! Really missed the creativity and quality of work you've shown on here. Although not on the level that you and some of the others have done, I've slowly been pecking away at the mods to my BHBE. I just about have it where I want it.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #580

What a coincidence, I read a post last night about changing the AC gasket and remembered you had a great set of pics and discussion on the topic. Made a mental note to look for it and look who turns up.
It’s good to hear from you!
Oh yeah, nice work as usual.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote