Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #601

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Thank you travelingjw. I love sharing ideas.
RAurand, the seats are for the most part the same whether driver / passenger. The suspension / mount under it is a different story. This particular seat is a passenger jump seat that had a ridged frame and no air. On the drivers side, typically it’s a scissor type suspension with an air bag that allows up and down movement and controls how much up/ down travel. Air controls are usually mounted on the side of the seat or seat frame allowing adjustments of suspension tension and lumbar support. Air is fed via air line from the same system that feeds the brakes, trans etc. On the rough roads I was running, I typically ride with no air in the seat suspension as it can put you in the ceiling like a trampoline.

On the ac duct, I will make a duct out of wood, fiberglass or both going from bath duct, over and down the wall where I’ll put 2 ducts through the wall. I will put the bath louvers on that new duct. So, at night I’ll close off the bath louver directing air to the bunks. I’ll try to sketch you a picture soon to give you a visual. Sometimes it’s hard to describe what’s in my head.

Thank you John, I would really appreciate that as my kids complain about the bunks getting warm in the summer. The fans I mounted do help. Too bad Jayco don't put A/C along the side walls in bunks while they are building the trailers. It would be much easier at that time to do this.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #602

Nicely done John!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #603

Quote:
On the ac duct, I will make a duct out of wood, fiberglass or both going from bath duct, over and down the wall where I’ll put 2 ducts through the wall. I will put the bath louvers on that new duct. So, at night I’ll close off the bath louver directing air to the bunks. I’ll try to sketch you a picture soon to give you a visual. Sometimes it’s hard to describe what’s in my head.
Firstly, I really appreciate the time you took to post all of your mods. I too have several ideas on the AC for the bunk but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to deal with the ceiling. It looks like one big piece that goes from the bunk into the bathroom. Really looking forward to this.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #604

Big John, I'm glad to see you posting again! First time i have posted here but I have enjoyed your entire thread. You are the king of mods in my book. My family just picked up a 2014 28bhbe yesterday so you have given me alot of future ideas with our "new to us" trailer. Keep up the great work and God bless.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #605

BanjoBob, I’ll try my best to keep y’all in mind when I get started on this. We probably all have similar ideas. PM if you have any thoughts or ideas.

rte1985, thank you so much. Nothing against the late models like this, but honestly the older ones were way better. A 2014 should be almost identical to ours, and built a little better in my opinion. Mine was a 4th quarter 2014 build tagged a 2015. Feel free to PM any questions or ideas you might have. I know this model pretty well. I never quit learning and never mind sharing the stuff I do.

On another note, we’ll be breaking the cobwebs loose from frame to concrete on Thursday (there’s literally cobwebs from frame to floor in shop) headed to Hot Springs, AR. So, please, if anybody is in that area this week / weekend, let me know. I’ve met several people in the past and would love to meet y’all in person. We’ll be at Catherine’s Landing since most others are booked. If you’re somewhere else in the area, we’ll come meet you.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #606

John

I think you’ll like Catherine’s landing. It’s a nice park. Wish we could make it. Would love to sit around the fire “talking shop” with you

Old 11-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #607

Hey Tom, yeah we’ve stayed there many times. Normally this would be our summer time place due to the pool. Wanted lake Catherine sp but they were booked. Ouchita sp pretty much the same. Koa there pretty hilly. National park a gamble. Kids said C landing where it was reasonably level and they could skate and ride bikes.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #608

Modern day RV camping.... gotta book way in advance, which we’re still not accustomed to.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #609

Quote:
Modern day RV camping.... gotta book way in advance, which we’re still not accustomed to.

Me neither. Sometimes I just want to hitch up and go somewhere but you can’t do that anymore

Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #610

Key Rack

I know this has been done is numerous different fashions, but this is what works for us. Like some others, I always thought it was dumb to have to open a door just to turn the main lights on. I've seen some relocate the switches completely. Either way, I liked the key rack, and the little trough thing on the door as it's where my wallet fits. So, I just built a key rack with the wallet storage thing, then made some trim to go around the switch panel to cover up the door hinge holes and such. I'm still getting used to NOT opening the door to turn on the lights. Not sure what I'm going to do with the door.

Other than that, just put all new Timken bearings and seals last week.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #611

Looks nice John. Did you ever route the air conditioner vents to the back bunks? Thats the one I want to know about. I did come off the rear bunk light wiring to mount fans back there.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #612

Man, I still haven't done it. I know what I want to do, but I've been out of work for months and the time and more important, $$$, is not there anymore.

On another note, I'm debating trashing the shower and putting a better quality residential in there. Obviously one with the separate wall pieces. I had a plumbing leak behind the shower pan a month ago and I just about couldn't fix it due to location. So, even though I got it fixed, I'd rather tear it all out, redo ALL of the plumbing I can get to with Pex A, and start over with a Good shower. Tired of the cheap crap.

I wish I could post results of all the ideas and plans, but the finances just aren't there at this point. Maybe one day.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:15 AM   #613

I totally agree on not liking the light switch setup behind the door. On my thread I show were I installed larger switches in the wood below the panel for the main interior lights to bypass opening the door to access the lights. I would have preferred putting switches in the wall like in your home but didn’t want to chase wires in the wall. Big john I love your key rack and holder by the way and always look forward to your updates on your camper!
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #614

You were the first one I saw relocate the switches, which is really the best way. I got a little lazy. Thanks for the key rack compliment.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #615

Quote:
So here’s an update on what’s been happening. The house sold, we’re moved, we’re living in the jayco in our shop now. I’m on short term disability due to health issues at the moment. Don’t know how long that’ll last. Still trying to figure out what’s wrong with me. Life is a lot different no doubt. In the mean time, I worked on another project. Managed to get a bunch of salvage parts and start on a new shop chair. Seat is from a totaled Mack Pinnacle truck, step boards from another Mack truck, Mack dog from a destroyed side mirror, a little scrap aluminum mildly polished, and pieces from an electric lift recliner my granddad had before he passed. Only thing I had to purchase was the caster wheels. End result, a pretty cool shop chair for $20. I still have a few things to finish up, including some smoke stacks behind the seat and paint the frame. All in all, turned out ok. If things don’t change with my health, I’ll start working from my shop and sell misc items. Ac in bunks in camper coming up soon.
Hi John,
any updates ,how are things? just checking in,hope all is well.
trashman
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote