Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Changing pex to flexible line

I was doing some work on the camper in hopes of quieting the water pump. I stuck a mouse pad under the pump to isolate it from the wall it is mounted to. I found a thread about mounting the pump on some foam sandwiched between some luan that I may also do, but I need to check on space as it is a bit tight where our pump is located. I also found that the hard pex line was causing the majority of the noise. I want to add a piece of flex line to the pump and was looking for some tips on how to do it. The pump connection looks like a standard 5/8 hose connection. Are there adapters available that can go to the pex? I remember seeing some plumbing fittings a few years back that were for copper, pvc, or pex. I think they were called shark(brand) fittings. Anyone care to share what they used to accomplish this? I am planning a trip to the hardware store tomorrow looking for ideas.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Changing pex to flexible line

Instead of messing with replacing the PEX, do you have room enough on the lines that are making the noise to install some pipe foam insulation?

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

I put the pipe foam on already. The problem is when the factory ran the lines they have them so tight against a shelf in the cabinet that it still vibrates the shelf even with the foam on it. The drain line for the sink, and the shelf vibrate like crazy when the pump is turned on.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
I was doing some work on the camper in hopes of quieting the water pump. I stuck a mouse pad under the pump to isolate it from the wall it is mounted to. I found a thread about mounting the pump on some foam sandwiched between some luan that I may also do, but I need to check on space as it is a bit tight where our pump is located. I also found that the hard pex line was causing the majority of the noise. I want to add a piece of flex line to the pump and was looking for some tips on how to do it. The pump connection looks like a standard 5/8 hose connection. Are there adapters available that can go to the pex? I remember seeing some plumbing fittings a few years back that were for copper, pvc, or pex. I think they were called shark(brand) fittings. Anyone care to share what they used to accomplish this? I am planning a trip to the hardware store tomorrow looking for ideas.
I have used this kit before. http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-94-591.../dp/B000WN5F96
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

You don't say what year your RV is but I took ours to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty. Same problem, one line was flex, the other was pex (hey, that rhymes) and very noisy.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Team

They have kits at camping supply stores for isolating the lines with flexible hose. No new fittings, all bolt on.

I bought one for my new rig and when I looked at it, the factory had already installed flexible hoses on either side of the pump.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
You don't say what year your RV is but I took ours to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty. Same problem, one line was flex, the other was pex (hey, that rhymes) and very noisy.
Ours is the same way. One side is pex and one side is a flexible line. The dealer did a warranty repair to take care of it? May have to call our dealer tomorrow to see if that is an option.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
They have kits at camping supply stores for isolating the lines with flexible hose. No new fittings, all bolt on.

I bought one for my new rig and when I looked at it, the factory had already installed flexible hoses on either side of the pump.
I have seen multiple kits for this purpose. However, they all have the same fitting one each end. I haven't seen a kit that allows an easy connection to the pex line. I found the shark bite fittings in our local Acr hardware, and I also found a pex crimper that I can borrow, so I am going to look at those two options.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Are the couplers in the silencing kit the same thread connection as what is on the water pump? If those will join the flex line with the pex I may be able to make it work. I am very limited on space in the area our pump is mounted in, but the pex outlet has a bend in it to join the pump. If I take that loose from the pump I will likely be able to make enough loops in the flex line to get it on there. I was planning on trimming the pex back, but may try it first without trimming. I am also looking at moving the pump to the floor if space is available. The two heat ducts in the area may eliminate that possibility though.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Try that first and you may be able to save some headache. You can re-locate the pump and put a better shock mount under it and maybe make it a little more accessible. The kit that I bought had threaded fittings that fit on the PEX end and then another that threaded into the flex extension. It should help.

Also, every where the pipe touches something, slip some foam pipe insulation over it to shield the vibration from being transferred to the trailer.

Mine is still noticeable but some better.

Here is the kit: http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7.../dp/B000WN5F96
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #11

For quietest operation, get the Shurflo silencing kit posted as well as a Shurflo accumulator. Install these in about 30 minutes or so along with the foam insulation over the pressure lines and you will have a very quiet setup. I do this to all our campers plus my in-laws 25BHS and my daughters 22FB. We are a Jayco family!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

I installed the Shurflo silencing kit and an accumulator on my '06 Fleetwood Tioga - instant silence!! Highly recommended.
Haven't looked at my new '14 Seneca yet, but any noise, I'm installing 'em.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

I wrapped up my quest for water pumping silence this evening. I ended up getting it mounted to the floor from the wall. I also picked up a coupler and flexible hose from Ace hardware to go between the pex and pump. This made a huge difference. It is quiet enough that you can have a conversation, but can still be heard if you turn off the AC and radio to know if there is inadvertent flow. I'm happy with the results, and at a total cost of 10 bucks. It would vibrate the dishes in the lower cabinet before the mod. It is now the way it should have been from the factory. Now to get the quickie flush installed in the black tank. I'm accepting volunteers to drill the hole and put the quickie flush into the tank. That's a subject for another post though.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
Now to get the quickie flush installed in the black tank. I'm accepting volunteers to drill the hole and put the quickie flush into the tank. That's a subject for another post though.
"Quickie flush"? What be that??

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #15

[QUOTE=troutslayer;150199]"Quickie flush"? What be that??]

A glorified spray nozzle that squirts water all over the tank to rinse out the crud.

I'm still on the fence with this one. The only place I have to install it is between all of the tank sensors. This is just above the tank drain. I don't know how well it will spray the sensors being that close to them.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #16

Our last two 5ers both had black tank sprayers and I use(d) them extensively. Sometimes they rinse off the sensors and sometimes they don't. Sort of a "crap" shoot. Good luck on the installation!

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A