Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Collapsing, directional mount for Yagi antennas?

Before going too far in my discovery stage I figured I should see if anyone else has been down this road before me. I'm looking for options to mount a fold up/down antenna that can be rotated 360 degrees for mounting directional cellular antennas. I would prefer something that either manually or powered could extend and retract, as well as turn without me needing to go on the roof. (They are for short term mounted on a pole on the rear ladder that I extend and best-guess aim as required.) The antennas are light at less than a pound each, but have a surface are of about 2 square feet. So wind could be the biggest concern for mounting. They are low enough to not have clearance issues if they fold down parallel to their deployed position. If I do a simple single articulated point to swing them down when not in use they would have to go sideways to maintain legal clearance height. The sideways bend makes me think that would be weak since the flag like antennas would fold down more easily in a bit of wind. The reason I want an interior usable setup and breakdown is so that we can use it even in short stops as crude as parking lots or rest areas if needed. I've been questioned more than a couple of times using the climb on the roof solution.

Working in technology I need to be connected even when disconnected. Satellite is ok as backup but is painfully slow to both acquire signal and to use. Yagi antennas and the cell booster will change about 80% of the locations that are currently satellite service only into cell service locations. That saves me a massive amount on data charges and lets me work at normal speeds. So it's definitely worth doing this project for me.

Short of finding a good solution here I will have a machine shop fabricate a 4-5 foot mount remarkably similar to a traditional RV TV antenna. That's not my ideal since it's slow, untested, and a lot more expensive than I'd like. (But still worth it compare to satellite service fee reductions if I amortize the project over 3-4 years...)

Thanks in advance for any ideas or experiences that you can share.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 AM   #2

I used to use yagi antennas all the time. A simple ladder flagpole kit might work for you. Attaches to the ladder and would be easy to aim.

http://tweetys.com/flagpolebuddy-1.a...vHEaAs718P8HAQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #3

A flag pole hitch mount and a few pieces of 6' swaged mast with your yagi on top

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-51611-H...le+hitch+mount
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

RayPayne, which model are you using? Do these things actually work with modern 3G phones without TNC connectors?

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

If you are just wanting a directional mount for a very light weight antenna ... consider adapting it to the fold-down TV Antenna you already have on the roof. I put a Mikrotik SXT directional antenna on my TV mast, and when the antenna is raised, I can turn the TV antenna and orient the antenna directionally. When I fold down the TV Antenna, the SXT lays on it's side against the roof as we travel.

We rarely use the Analog TV antenna, so the SXT gets priority of direction.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

I know it's been a while since I've been on to reply. I ended up opting for the TV antenna. The LTE. Cellular Yagi antenna is light enough I don't need to build something heavier. The mount I have does get used and doesn't fold flat. The plan is to add on a crank up, then put both cellular yagis on top. I just have to find a safe spot in the master bedroom roof area to cut through.

As for if this would work with modern 3G phones, only with a booster. You couldn't connect directly to a typical cell phone.