Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

Considering Jayco 2018 Hummingbird Electrical System Upgrade

I purchased a almost new 2018 Hummingbird with ~500 miles on tires!

I am new to RV systems, etc. even though I am a retired EE. So I may be wrong in my understanding of unit functions. Please jump in and make suggestions.

Anyways ... the previous owner told me he had already purchased a 2nd deep cycle battery as the 12VDC was half was confusing him. I too have noticed weird 12VDC behavior. When I am not on shore power, but battery is fully charged, the 12VDC systems do not function! Even the lighting is dead! I think the battery is 'sinked' to ground somehow and drains quickly below a usable VDC level.

The converter is programmed to shut-off when the monitored 12VDC is below a preset level, corect?

I need to isolate each sub-system of the WFCO unit and verify if working.

Because of these issues and the desire to go off grid for a week at a time, I am considering a complete upgrade.

Upgrade electrical sub-systems:
1. Electrical breaker and fuse panel and distribution.
2. Converter (brand that can charge at higher DC rates, 45a to 75a or so.
3. Battery type and size.
4. Multi-stage charger to interface with AGM or Gel deep cycle batteries, 100ah or200ah.
5. Use solar panels to trickle charge 12VDC batteries.
6. Isolate tow battery and RV battery systems when required, but be capable of trickle charging RV batteries (if compatible).
7. Interface with my Champion 3400 Inverter dual fuel electric start generator.
8. Add Magnum Hybrid Inverter capable of in excess of required power on 120VAC leg (~30a). Must be friendly with on and off grid functions.

Trying to build an off grid camper electrical system that can go out for a week or so.
1. I have 25g gray and black waste tanks and 25g portable drinking water. 2. 2. Upgrade HW heater to propane tankless, electric pilot that fits in the same space as existing 6g unit.
3. Sat based TV & Internet.
4. Flexible solar panel on Jayco roof.
5. Mount inverter generator on tongue raised platform above dual #20 propane tanks.
6. AC seems OK but is noisy as .... in HIGH AC. Also the LOW AC speed setting appears useless in terms of AC, blows air but not cold air.
7. Propane furnace appears adequate as well.
Must be able to extend and retract slide-out when off-grid. I know I can use hand cranks. I use a battery drill motor for leveling jacks.

Am I doling this wrong, tell me please:
1. Known issues with similar electrical systems?
2. Are converters and Inverters compatible within same system?
3. How would you build an on-off grid system?
4. Charger and battery types, etc?
5. Solar panels?
6. Tell me where I am over doing it! Wrong approach? Different gear brands?

I'm new here so hello all,

Billy
GrievousAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Hi Billy,

I just posted some notes and pictures on my recent upgrade... you may find some interesting notes in there.

Needless to say, the factory wiring is crap, and would most definitely benefit from some attention.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ade-58735.html
ve7fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:40 AM   #3

ve7,

Not trying to hijack this thread, but your previous post was eye-opening - especially about the jack fuse

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #4

About tongue jack protection ...

VE7,

Just to clarify, is the tongue jack CB auto-reset? If not, digging into the jack interior to locate the OEM CB would be some-what of a hassle. That being said, is there an advantage of ALSO inserting a slightly smaller in-line fuse. My tongue jack has a visible exterior glass in-line fuse near top of jack. Are you saying that one of the two 'Red' CB on frame feeds the tongue jack circuit as well? If so, that indicates excessive protection and failure modes.

Billy
Statesboro, GA 30458
Old 07-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

Step One Upgrade ... Install PD9200 Series and 400A AGM battery system

Step One Upgrade ... Install PD9200 Series and 400A AGM battery system

Using your (ve7) suggestions, considering locating a aluminum tool box on tongue area, for mounting the electrical devices. Since AGM batteries are sealed, would it be safe putting AGM's in tool box?

Installing a PD9280 80A converter/charger w/ Charging Wizard in place of the WFCO converter, keeping the WFCO electrical distribution panel; increase battery circuits cable size to as big as possible (may neck-down cable size at PD9280 if too big to connect).

Installing (2) 6VDC 200Ah in series yielding 12VDC @ 400Ah. May install a battery box capable of holding up to (4) 6VDC batteries.

Installing a Trimetric battery monitoring system.

Design Phase One to easily add solar panels, control and monitoring.

I'll make a wiring diagram soon and post for all to comment on.

I am a EE but new to RV electrical gear and installation practices.

Thx,

Billy
Statesboro, GA 30458