Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Couple of small additions

When I'm boondocking I still need to charge devices and don't like running the inverter to get 110v just to turn it back into 12v. The only 12v receptacle in my trailer is under the stereo and my router is using it.

Added some USB charge ports under the main panel, 12v ports and meter in the storage bay and a meter above the main panel. The pushbuttons I already had and put them in so the meters aren't on all the time.

PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

Nice clean job!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Ok I'm curious. You don't usually see the words "Boondocking" and "Router" used in the same discussion. What'cha routing to? Or is it just for internal use?
I have one in my trailer too so I'm curious what you use yours for.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
Ok I'm curious. You don't usually see the words "Boondocking" and "Router" used in the same discussion. What'cha routing to? Or is it just for internal use?
I have one in my trailer too so I'm curious what you use yours for.
I have a custom battery monitor I made that sends data over wifi to my iPad so I use the router as the communications hub for the trailer. Still working on the iPad app. Also adding an SD card interface to the monitor to store historical data when I power it off or reboot it.

What are you using yours for?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Sweet! Custom monitor? Arduino?

Mine is for local media sharing. I have a Sony SMP-100 Media player and it's hardwired to my Cisco. Then I have my laptop going wireless sharing it's media so I can stream movies and music.

Don't you just love throwing tech into the mix!
I'm really interested in your monitor.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #6

I have a TI CC3200 board programmed using Energia (similar to Arduino IDE) that uses an INA219 breakout to read the voltage across a shunt. It tracks the usage over a 12hr sliding window and broadcasts it on the network as UDP packets. I can either connect to it with a browser or run the iOS app on my iPad and display the data. Don't have the chart working on the iPad but it shows in a browser. Building the browser data takes too much out of the CC3200 though. Working on a VS app in C# now to run on a Pi running Windows IoT. Planning to be able to use a touch screen to display and interact with the Pi. The CC3200 also has an LCD for local display.

The chart in the pic doesn't show any usage as the trailer was on shore pwer when I took the pic.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #7

Freaking awesome! I've been tinkering with a setup to aid in leveling but you just stepped my thinking up a bunch! I never considered something like that! Now you got me thinking about a whole Trailer status (temps, battery, tanks). I have one of those TI boards, got it free from someone but I've only worked with the Arduino (and variants) so far.
Thanks for posting your mod and thanks for the information.
You really have me thinking about what I can do in my trailer with a mini local webserver, temps sensors, wireless, and a relay shield, and we could control the AC from our phones and .....

Old 09-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #8

The Energia IDE is based off the Arduino one. The coding is the same for the most part. The CC3200 has WiFi on it. I had a few TI boards sitting on the shelf when I started the project so I went with what I had. I would have preferred a low-side connection for the shunt but couldn't find a breakout that supported that. Right now I have the current monitor and a RTC connected. Adding an SD card interface to store data. Right now I keep the NetAH in the RTC memory but that's all I can save and restore. If I reboot I lose the historical data.

Was thinking I could add other boards on the network to provide info about tanks, control lights, etc. Haven't done anything on the iOS app since last winter. It displays the numbers but haven't got the chart code right.

So far I haven't spent much money on it, only needed to buy the RTC & current boards. Seems the equipment takes a beating on the road, after 13,000km the LCD display broke off its pins, now it has dbl side tape holding it on the perf board.