Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

DIY Jaysmart type system

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Jay Flight, which means I don't have the JaySmart lighting system. I do however think that having more turn signals is a good thing for the morons to ignore. I also would like a high set of turn and brake lights on the rear. I followed a 5th wheel toy hauler home one night and found the high brake lights on it (it did not turn) useful as a moron car driver. I have been thinking about a modification that would allow me to get the same functionality as the jay flight system. I am going to break it up into 2 stages, I may or may not get to either, I would like to be able to bounce ideas off this list, specifically as to how to run the needed wires without opening the walls.

Phase 1 - high rear brake and turn signals.

In the first part of the mod I would use the factory 3 way red signals to be placed below the marker light (like the 2021 jayflights do with Jay Smart). I am thinking for each high light I would run 3 wires each high light (ground, lights and stop/turn) through the back wall to the main tail lights on the trailer and splice into the wires going into that light for each of the functions. I know there is insulation in the wall is there any cross brace in the wood construction, would I have any issue with a wire fish run to do that? My other concern would be attaching the marker, I have not had either a marker or main tail light off. I assume the marker is screwed into the siding and there is no wood behind it. I therefore also assume a self tapping metal type screw would work for that. Thoughts/opinions on this.

Phase 2 - Signal marker turn signals

I would use a box like this one from etrailer (https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C56196.html) to break out the turn signal from the brake signals and run a wire down each side of the trailer and under the slide out (in the wiring loom that is on the slide out now). My concern here is how to run the wires out to the wire run below the floor. In theory I could run the single wire (as the light and ground should already exist) down to the frame and then drill a new hole for the wire to come out. This make me nervous as I am not sure if this would work or cause other issues. Obviously if I did that I would fill the hole with an expanding foam. I would replace the current markers with the OEM 3 way lights used by the JaySmart system. This may not happen. Again thoughts and opinions on this.

My trailer does not have an enclosed underbelly which makes things simpler. I have also attempted to trace the wires but have not had success yet. SWMBO is at least somewhat on board with this which is helpful.

Thanks guys looking forward to your responses.

James
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #2

I'm surprised no one has answer this post.

I like the idea. I thought about it long before J smart was available.

I have not seen a tt, where all the wires were buried and not accessible. I would look closer at the inside, where the marker lights are at. I bet there is a removable panel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I'm surprised no one has answer this post.

I like the idea. I thought about it long before J smart was available.

I have not seen a tt, where all the wires were buried and not accessible. I would look closer at the inside, where the marker lights are at. I bet there is a removable panel.
I know what you mean. I did look inside the trailer but I could not find any access panels to the lights. It is a stick and tin trailer I wonder if that is it. I think I will progress over the winter to do the rear lights and consider more the side markers.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 09-15-2020, 03:35 AM   #4

I just did a major repair on the rear of my aluminum sided 5th wheel. The light wiring is run before the siding is installed. It passes through the wood frame by 1/2” holes drilled and then the fiberglass insulation is installed with spray glue. It would be pretty much impossible to fish new wires through the walls. The easiest method would be to run the new wires from the inside and drill through the wall to the light opening. Use wire molding from a big box store to hide the wires. Or the aluminum paneling could be removed. That is a huge job but it would give an opportunity to reseal the corners and lights a better way.
Either way it sounds like a neat project.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb285rks View Post
I just did a major repair on the rear of my aluminum sided 5th wheel. The light wiring is run before the siding is installed. It passes through the wood frame by 1/2” holes drilled and then the fiberglass insulation is installed with spray glue. It would be pretty much impossible to fish new wires through the walls. The easiest method would be to run the new wires from the inside and drill through the wall to the light opening. Use wire molding from a big box store to hide the wires. Or the aluminum paneling could be removed. That is a huge job but it would give an opportunity to reseal the corners and lights a better way.
Either way it sounds like a neat project.
For the rear walls I was thinking of fishing the wire vertically down the wall cavity to the rear light lower down. I concur that fishing the wires via the holes would be difficult if not impossible. I have though about taking the siding off to route the wires, but this is not something I have the location to do and I would require help to do it. I may however be able to find a shop that would take the siding off, allow me to run the wires and then put the siding back on, leave me only to connect the controller that would be needed.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 10-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2018 Jay Flight, which means I don't have the JaySmart lighting system. I do however think that having more turn signals is a good thing for the morons to ignore. I also would like a high set of turn and brake lights on the rear. I followed a 5th wheel toy hauler home one night and found the high brake lights on it (it did not turn) useful as a moron car driver. I have been thinking about a modification that would allow me to get the same functionality as the jay flight system. I am going to break it up into 2 stages, I may or may not get to either, I would like to be able to bounce ideas off this list, specifically as to how to run the needed wires without opening the walls.

Phase 1 - high rear brake and turn signals.

In the first part of the mod I would use the factory 3 way red signals to be placed below the marker light (like the 2021 jayflights do with Jay Smart). I am thinking for each high light I would run 3 wires each high light (ground, lights and stop/turn) through the back wall to the main tail lights on the trailer and splice into the wires going into that light for each of the functions. I know there is insulation in the wall is there any cross brace in the wood construction, would I have any issue with a wire fish run to do that? My other concern would be attaching the marker, I have not had either a marker or main tail light off. I assume the marker is screwed into the siding and there is no wood behind it. I therefore also assume a self tapping metal type screw would work for that. Thoughts/opinions on this.

Phase 2 - Signal marker turn signals

I would use a box like this one from etrailer (https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C56196.html) to break out the turn signal from the brake signals and run a wire down each side of the trailer and under the slide out (in the wiring loom that is on the slide out now). My concern here is how to run the wires out to the wire run below the floor. In theory I could run the single wire (as the light and ground should already exist) down to the frame and then drill a new hole for the wire to come out. This make me nervous as I am not sure if this would work or cause other issues. Obviously if I did that I would fill the hole with an expanding foam. I would replace the current markers with the OEM 3 way lights used by the JaySmart system. This may not happen. Again thoughts and opinions on this.

My trailer does not have an enclosed underbelly which makes things simpler. I have also attempted to trace the wires but have not had success yet. SWMBO is at least somewhat on board with this which is helpful.

Thanks guys looking forward to your responses.

James
I think that you are on the right track here. From my engineering brain side, you would want to interupt the ground via a relay of some type Most older cars used a similar system to turn on the cornering lights when you used the turn signal (AKA: Cadilac, Lincoln, and Chrysler). Or, perhaps, you can just get the JSMART controller from Jayco, and just wire it in. The funny thing is that on my 2020 32RL, that circuit is not currenly working. It took the dealer several calls to get Jayco to let them know where the module is (Behind the microwave). Anyway, the dealer replaced the module, but, they are still not operational. Jayco Engineering thinks it is a bad ground somewhere....At least I have brake / running lights for now. I will let them have the camper back for further troubleshooting later....... Once our rig is out of warranty, I am going to see about getting all of the wiring diagrams. Sure would help with troubleshooting.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote